WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 100 Mile Wilderness Conditions-May

Me and a few guys are going to hike the 100 Mile Wilderness in May and we wern't 100% sure of what to expect in regards to trail conditions. Can anyone give an insight?

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Given the amount of snow this year, I am guessing near impassible. Very muddy and very high water in some of the streams. I am not saying you won't make it through, but I would have a lot of concerns at that attempt, in terms of mud, bugs, and fording difficulties.

I wouldn't be surprised to see lots and lots of snow in May. It seems that most every time a system comes into my area as rain, it comes down as snow in Maine and N.H.
    A fellow worker and ski-a-holic says that Tuckerman's Ravine on Mt. Washington is basically impassable because of all the snow and high avalanche conditions.
    Blackfly populations will be at their peak in May, too.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Journal Entries
    Images

I would have to agree with dessertrat. Here is a link to the current snow levels http://www.erh.noaa.gov/nerfc/graphi.../sd1_today.jpg
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

If its like here there will be alot of change from May 1st to May 31st. Waiting one week could make all the difference, but you might not now until a week before, and even then you might not no until you poke your nose in. At least its not like March, or even April, unless I am wrong, in that you might get more rain and more cold, but you at least are unlikely to get more snow in a serious way, and you will also have some very sunny days to dry out, which you will no doubt need. Biggest concern would be hiking a day or two into the midst of pre-existing deep but stable snow, and then getting lots of rain in the midst of all that snow. That can be very bad and there can be alot of water underneath the snow, and not just at river crossings. Having never done the 100 mile wilderness of deep woods inland, I would ask if it were viable to simply be prepared to be slowed down, or turn around, or bail out along the way. I would ask how deep snow can be in Maine in May and still be safe to hike through, knowing you could get tons of rain on top of that and 1 or 2 days or more to hike out in that stuff or sit it out. I've hiked the Fundy Footpath May 1,2,3,4 in rain. The snow wasn't deep but the trail was basically a ditch of ice cold water with snow on either side. I wore neoprene booties and sneakers for 2 days of rain, but otherwise it wasn't cold, and then it was very sunny. Potentially waist deep snow and water would be a totally different game however. I understand March and April can be very bad in the deep woods, but I've never been there at that time of year.

Still 50" of snow in some places in April. Wow.
    At some point hiking becomes more of a water sport.

Thanks for the advice....eathier way we are going to attempt it. Already took the vacation days and what the hell.....we will be in the woods eathier way! I will most likely need to re-evaluate what I plan to pack.

Default 100 mile wilderness in may

Hi,

I would also advise against it, but since you seemed determined to try:

Wait until at least mid May.. otherwise expect snow knee deep to waist deep much of the time.

later May,

Still have snow shoes..could still be a lot of snow at elevation in later May.

Where there isn't snow expect a lot of Mud..mud all the time.

at lower elevations.. where the snow is gone.. and the mud is still everywhere but hopefully starting to dry out expect bugs like you never thought possible. You can't have too much bug repellent. Have a head net with you. Bring a tent for bug protection if nothing else.

Doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. Let us know how it goes if you go.

When I did my thru hike in 2006, I heard horror stories from Southbounders who came through the wilderness in June.. the bugs were incredible. And they had tons of rain and tons of mud.

DavidNH

Thanks David. I will let you know how we make out. Like I said we are definitely determined and we wanted an extream trip so It looks like we got it.

Images

The Green Mountain Club in Vermont highly advises to stay off the trails during mud season in May.

What is the position of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club (MATC) for hiking the AT in Maine duing mud season?

Images

Just a comment: If it were me, I would seriously consider hiking another section of the trail further south - like anywhere from Springer through MA. The Smokies in May(get a backcountry permit in advance 423-436-1231) would offer an oustanding hike(Fontana Dam to Hot Springs would be a great 100 mile+ hike), as would many other parts of the southern Appalachians on either side of GSMNP. For less human contact consider hiking the northern Shenandoahs, PA, NJ, CT or MA sections or the southern terminus through GSMNP all of which should offer some nice spring weather in May either ahead of or behind the bulk of the '08 NOBO herd.

The Maine woods in May will likely be cold, wet, and VERY muddy, and even deep snow depending on elevation/rainfall/melt. Seriously, keeping dry (and warm) might become next to impossible. April and May is the absolute worst time of year to hike in New England. Early May can still dish out winter conditions and if/as the weather does turn warmer you'll be wearing the mud and bugs. If that's your idea of fun, well, okay, but I did hear the word vacation mentioned somewhere in your original post.

Not trying to ruin your idea if that's what you're up for. Just fair warning. Much more of a "challenge the conditions" trip than a plan for an enjoyable fair conditions hike.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Hi,

Doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun to me. Let us know how it goes if you go.

DavidNH
    Even if you only go in a mile and bail, let us know about conditions.
    Would cost me $40 in gas to put an eyeball on it!

Journal Entries

The chances of deep snow from Barren-Chairback through to Whitecap are virtually 100 percent. The last time I tried to maintain my section of the trail on Whitecap in May we never reached the summit ridge, the sodden, wet snow was so deep. The snow pack is almost twice as deep this year compared to my last May attempt.

The 100-mile wilderness is an easier hike in February than it is in May many years. This year May is likely to be the worst possible time in recent years, given the extra heavy snow pack.

I would choose a 100 miles further south. Think North Carolina.

Weary

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

The folks that maintain the trail will surely appreciate it if you head south until after memorial day. If you insist, I'd pack light snowshoes. If you're lucky, you'll have plenty of snow, otherwise, you'll have mudholes interspersed with snowbanks, and you'll have to negotiate around the many,many,many blowdowns from a very windy, stormy winter.

You will be doing much damage... but hey, it's the "other guys" who do that, right?

Don't you think that snow on the ground would probably mean that it's still too cold for black flies though? And maybe black fly season will be pushed later?

The weather should be fairly warm during the day 50-60 degrees depending on elevation....I was thinking the same thing about the black flies.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey9457 View Post
    Don't you think that snow on the ground would probably mean that it's still too cold for black flies though? And maybe black fly season will be pushed later?
    Not necessarily. The snow pack itself will just stay around later into spring because there is more of it and it self-insulates. The flies will still hatch based upon when the daytime air temps and water temps rise and the streams are flowing strong. I think we might expect a larger than normal hatch this year as the streams will probably be running stronger longer than usual due to the deep snowpack.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

In regards to the streams, how difficult are the fords. I know we should expect higher water due to the snow melt but according to the maps we don't have to cross anyhting to big...

Quote Originally Posted by pjrudy22 View Post
    In regards to the streams, how difficult are the fords. I know we should expect higher water due to the snow melt but according to the maps we don't have to cross anyhting to big...
    The East Branch looks narrow, and it is, but will be deep and fast running where you have to cross. It's tricky even in late June. Other than that the fords shouldn't be particularly difficult.
    Have fun

Journal Entries

Black flies are influenced by yearly climate changes. I used to figure that before May 20 they weren't too bad. Lately they have started coming earlier. This past winter has had record snow falls, but temperatures were not particularly low. Overall the two weather stations in Maine, Gray and Caribou, measured temperatures higher than last year and higher than the long term average. How this translates into black fly dates and numbers is something I can only guess at. Sorry about that. Maybe someone who lives farther north can help.

Weary

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++