WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I also wear the REI convertibles and like them a lot. The Columbia and Ex-Officio look good also. The Ex-officio have a built in mesh underwear, I believe. TNF convertibles may be good for winter, but seem a little heavier.

If you don't find what you want from EMS. You can order a pair from REI. They have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. So they are easy to send back. Probably cheaper to pay shipping than buy gas to drive to a store.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

REI Sahara gets my vote as well. I wear these things most of the time even when off the trail.

These are the ones I have:

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...Id=40000000226

Nice and light, dry fast. I have two pairs, and I buy the child sizes for my kids. They feel like they will rip easy or wear out, but bushwacking through prickers and kneeling on rocks/dirt haven't worn them out yet.

^^^ Those look nice, like the design, like the colors and I really like the weight.

I was looking at the TNF Paramounts or whatever but they were like 1lb 3 or 4oz's. I'm really not trying to carry pants that heavy you know. I think with the good prices of the campmor ones, I'm going to try them out for now and see how I like them. If I like em, I'll keep them. If not, I'll send them back and get the Sahara's. Thanks alot guys for all the help. Still open to durable, lightweight suggestions

Images

Mountain Hardware Mesa http://www.rockcreek.com/products/li...RCO_googlebase

REI has them also I think. The shorts inseam is a couple inches longer than most. Depends how long you like your shorts. Not the cheapest either.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

http://www.kuhl-usa.com/mconvertible.html

I know they sell them at Hudson Trail Outfitters. Not sure if you have a HTO near you.

Obviously you want to try them on before you plunk down some cold hard cash.....but I have a pair and they're very versatile. Hiking, biking, camping, standing, sitting, lying down, they work. I've never had them fall off or spontaneously combust on me. Unlike my last pair of pants.

+ Lightweight (haven't weighed them though)
    + Durable (have had mine for several years in all sorts of conditions and they're still going strong)
    + Comfortable (that's my #1 priority when I get pants)

- Price

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    REI Sahara gets my vote as well. I wear these things most of the time even when off the trail.
    I must say I really like REI's return policy, although I've never returned anything. Two weeks ago or so, REI had their "garage sale" and I picked up a pair of these exact pants for an incredible sum of $9 and some change. On the tag was written, "Customer didn't like the fit". Well I sure like the fit...and the price!

Quote Originally Posted by StepChld View Post
    I must say I really like REI's return policy, although I've never returned anything. Two weeks ago or so, REI had their "garage sale" and I picked up a pair of these exact pants for an incredible sum of $9 and some change. On the tag was written, "Customer didn't like the fit". Well I sure like the fit...and the price!
    I'm jealous.

Yea, ME TO! Nice find!

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    Find the ones that fit your body best and disregard whatever the internets tell you.
    That might work in the big city, but those of use who live in remote rural areas do rely on the "internets" to get our infos and our stuffs.

I got Columbia silver ridge convertibles. Nice light fabric, though the belt buckle needs some rework to be grippy enough to keep the belt tightened under load.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I'll give a third nod to the REI Saharas. In my experience, they fit true to size, the zippers work well, the pocket space is more than most folks need and they don't break the bank. But, recommendation aside, you're better off going to an outfitter and trying on pants to see what fits and works best. If you have an REI near you, I definitely give them a thumbs up.
    I'm not much for "convertible" things. But a few years ago I bought two pairs from an LL Bean factory store for $7 each. I've worn them nine months a year ever since. They are still going strong. The stretchy waist sizes were a bit underminant -- small, medium, large and extra large. But the inseam is labled 34 inches, which is why I bought them. Most outdoor manufacturers don't make stuff for us odd shaped people.

In general, I've had good luck with LL Bean clothing, though I never pay top price. Good Will stores in Maine get stuff from the company from time to time. My favorite jacket is from LL Bean/Good Will. I've worn it for 10 years. It cost $5 -- 50 cents a year so far. It probably has a few more years in it, though it needs washing badly.

Weary

Images

North Face Paramount. I mention them becuase they hold up forever and if you can find them in "New Taupe" they hide being dirty. I have a couple pairs of zip offs and like them all but the NF Paramounts seem to be my favorite.

Yea, they did look nice. But I'm trying to lighten up my load and I'm honestly not willing to carry pants that are 1lb 4oz. Thats why the EMS Surplus's are appealing to me right now at 13oz.

Journal Entries
    Images

Check these out. I think that is the pair I have. I like them, dry very quickly, lots of pockets for snacks, maps, etc. I just weighed mine at 13 oz.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Images

track pants w/ zippers on the ankles. get enough ventilation (if not a safety pin makes these convertible clam diggers), no gay 2 inch inseam, and lighter than most 'convertible hiking pants'

i looked into convertibles, but seems like all the new products are getting terrible reviews. i'll just stick to my nike pants from marshalls, 10 bucks

Anyone ever notice that the threads wear out on these types of pants long before the fabric does? I have a couple of brands (sportiff that makes a lot or private labels and beans) of these that are 10 to 15 years old and I have to resew the seams every few years. Nylon tent reapir tape with a few stiches makes takes care of any rips (which happen very rarely)

Images

I have REI convertible pants, probably the Sahara, but not sure. I have tried on a number of different brand convertibles, including some high-end expensive ones, only to find that the seam/zipper combination around the knee area really bothered me. Not so with the REI ones. They feel, fit, and work super! The front hand pockets could be deeper, but the cargo pockets and zippered back pockets (Correction: velcro closure back pockets) are great. I like the built-in belt which is very light and works great.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    Why on earth would you need pants?
    Because I hike year round.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    Why on earth would you need pants?
    Beats hiking in open red oozing sores during black fly season. I'll put 'em on in the evening once it cools off as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't have an REI thats close to me so I'm going to have to shoot for an EMS and see what they have. If I don't like anything there I'll take a ride to an REI somewhere to try out the Saharas.

Hey Man, head to MArlton, its not that bad of a ride

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++