WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

The 16 ounce REI Sahara convertable pants I have now are fine for warm weather but I would like to get a heavier pair for colder weather.

Can anyone recommend a heavier convertible pants that would be good for colder weather?

Panzer

Images

really, one of the biggest drags of convertibles to me is that ALL the shorts come about halfway down the knee. like, that was fine in 1981, but i prefer my shorts to hit my knee at least, if not a few inches below. may as well just put on a pair of boxer shorts and be done w/ it

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

HikingPA, if you are not a large fellow, you might try some of the adjustable-waist women's hiking pants in capri zip off styles (zip off just below the knees). They come in most of the same colors as men's pants.

Panzer, I got the He-Dino some really nice heavy poly-nylon zip-off pants at Target last year. They are a winter item so likely not available right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    The 16 ounce REI Sahara convertable pants I have now are fine for warm weather but I would like to get a heavier pair for colder weather.

Can anyone recommend a heavier convertible pants that would be good for colder weather?

Panzer
    I think the Mountain Hardware pants are heavier.

I ordered a pair of the Campmor pants from the link posted earlier. Nice pants for only $30 (on sale). Nice and light. Velcro closes a baffle in the lower leg instead of a zipper, as well as the cargo and back pockets. Hopefully, they'll work well in the desert.

Images

I notice people seem to like long inseam shorts. My issue with convertibles is too long an inseam. I have those 2" inseam shorts, wicked comfy. I prefer baggies. Can't be much more than 4", if that. Probably less.

Now, I know I am odd, but why would anyone want long inseam shorts? Doesn't it bind your stride? Step up?

I dislike stuff in the pockets when moving, too.

Am I the only one?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    really, one of the biggest drags of convertibles to me is that ALL the shorts come about halfway down the knee. like, that was fine in 1981, but i prefer my shorts to hit my knee at least, if not a few inches below. may as well just put on a pair of boxer shorts and be done w/ it
    The Mountain Hardware Mesa convertibles have a longer inseam than most and come to about the top of the knee. Longest inseam convertible I've found.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    .....why would anyone want long inseam shorts? Doesn't it bind your stride? Step up?
    I like them because the longer shorts help prevent thigh chafing. Also, having a zipper higher up is uncomfortable for many girls. We are shaped a little different from you fellows.

Images

i just feel better w/ longer shorts. no it doesn't effect my stride think i'll just stick to my track pants and/or swim trunks

Just as a little FYI: I took some of my new gear out this weekend on a small trip and I love the EMS Profile's that I bought. These are my first pair of convertible pants so I have nothing to compare them to but from my eyes they are HEAVEN.

PROS: Lightweight, 100% nylon, 6 pockets (2 front pockets, 2 cargo, and 2 other zip pockets that are behind the cargo pockets, I believe the side zips are actually vents but they can be used to store things (I used mine for garbage)), easy removal of lower half, elastic waist AND a belt, etc.

CONS: Probably wont effect alot of people but for me, I'm 5'7-5'8, and wear a size 34. My Profiles are 34 in regular length. In the waist they fit perfect but the length is pretty long and sometimes they fall below my shoe which can cause them to get wet, scraped, torn, etc while under the boot. I could of gotten the 34 short but then the inseam is really short (in my eyes anyway). Thats about it.

Does anyone make convertible pants that are streamlined with out a bunch of pockets?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++