WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Best Convertible Pants.....?

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some good recommendations for convertible pants. Some obvious things that I am considering are pocket size, weight, durability and reliability (of material & zippers, etc.), etc. Any recommendations for me? Money isnt too much of a concern. I rather pay the extra cash if I can get a better product that will be lighter or more durable, etc.

Images

Find the ones that fit your body best and disregard whatever the internets tell you.
    Just my $.02 as a guy that has worked at a gear shop for the last decade and puts people into clothing and gear so that they can wear it, touch it and compare it and not rely solely on whatever they have "learned" on the internets.
    What? Me worry??

Images

I am very pleased with Columbia Brand - I bought 2 pair at Bass Pro in Macon on sale.

DoughNut

I have had a pair of REI Sahara's for 8 years. They have held up through a lot of bushwacking. I know that they cost $55, but I think that after 8 years and still going, I definitely got my money's worth out of them.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'll second the Columbia convertibles I bought probably 7 years ago. At 11 ounces for a men's Medium they're the lightest I've found by far.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I'm going to follow up on what Redneckrye said and foremost make sure the pants fit. While the pants have a range of waist sizes, the inseam lengths are often fixed. Be careful if you are an odd size. You may need to hem them. Also, keep on eye on materials, I've seen quite a few of brands made with cotton.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    I have had a pair of REI Sahara's for 8 years. They have held up through a lot of bushwacking. I know that they cost $55, but I think that after 8 years and still going, I definitely got my money's worth out of them.

I also wear the REI Saharas. Fit me well and dry extremely fast.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

I have TNF, REI, campmor cheap model, campmor expensive model, Exofficio and Columbia.
    Definitely buy what fits and feels best to you. All of the above fit me fine but I really like the cheap campmor and the Columbia the best...don't know why...they just "feel" the best. All of them have held up very good.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    I have TNF, REI, campmor cheap model, campmor expensive model, Exofficio and Columbia.
    Definitely buy what fits and feels best to you. All of the above fit me fine but I really like the cheap campmor and the Columbia the best...don't know why...they just "feel" the best. All of them have held up very good.

geek
    are those what you have used during your thru's??? i have to retire the old shorts i used both in 99 and 02!!

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'll give a third nod to the REI Saharas. In my experience, they fit true to size, the zippers work well, the pocket space is more than most folks need and they don't break the bank. But, recommendation aside, you're better off going to an outfitter and trying on pants to see what fits and works best. If you have an REI near you, I definitely give them a thumbs up.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I've personally had good experiences with Ex Officio's Amphi™ Convertible Pants. They are made of extremely fast-drying Nycott -- 100% Nylon, treated with Teflon® for water and stain resistance. They are very light 3oz/sq yrd and hold up well.

http://www.exofficio.com/product_det...8-772567ad3d7b

Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRye View Post
    Find the ones that fit your body best and disregard whatever the internets tell you.
    Just my $.02 as a guy that has worked at a gear shop for the last decade and puts people into clothing and gear so that they can wear it, touch it and compare it and not rely solely on whatever they have "learned" on the internets.
    I agree, and having said that the REI Sahara's fit me better than anything else I've tried (North Face and ExOfficio). They go on sale a few times each year for less than $40.

Images

Don't most convertibles have a long inseam?

I have always felt they might be cool, but do not tolerate stuff on the thigh well.

Unfortunately, I don't have an REI thats close to me so I'm going to have to shoot for an EMS and see what they have. If I don't like anything there I'll take a ride to an REI somewhere to try out the Saharas.

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

I'm a bit of an REI junkie but the pants I am using right now I bought from the Great Outdoor Provision company. They are "fly fishing pants" The legs zip off got great pockets, made of "swimsuit" like material dries real fast. Got them on clearance at the "end of season" right before a hike last fall.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Don't most convertibles have a long inseam?

I have always felt they might be cool, but do not tolerate stuff on the thigh well.
    The REI Sahara pants come in 28, 30 and 32 inch inseams. The extended sizes also come in 34 and 36 inch inseams.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Why on earth would you need pants?

Because its still pretty cold, especially during the night. And I would like to have them for next year also

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    Because hiking equipment and clothing is not a "one size fits all" endeavor. What works for you may not work for others. 'Nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ 2005 View Post
    When it's cold out, ticks, mosquitoes, etc? They're not just pants, they're also shorts.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++