WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Deal of the century on MB UL Down Hugger bags

Guys;

Just wanted to pass along the great deal that I ran across. Aparently Modern Mountain Man is having a sale on Montbell sleeping bags and yes they are the the "Ultra Light Super Stretch" down hugger kind. Jump on them while you can.

Heres the link:

http://www.modernmountainman.com/cat...tegory&id=7395

Default MontBell's patented Super StretchSystem

This bag sounds very interesting. Anybody ever used it? Comments?
    When you get to those unexpected situations in life where it’s difficult to figure something out, just ask yourself, “What would MacGyver do?”
    See ya!
    Rickles McPickles

Have never used one on a trip but I have been on a test drive at an outfitter and it worked well enough for me to try one out. Thank you YaZOO, saved me some $$$.
    When in Rome

Quote Originally Posted by McPick View Post
    This bag sounds very interesting. Anybody ever used it? Comments?
    I owe a couple. They're great bags especially if you're a big guy and like a wide girth. Conservative ratings

Those are good prices. I bought the #3 and camped out in it for a trial. Temp was right at 30. Couldn't stay warm, usual light wool socks, light top, light fleece hat on in bag. Talked to Montbell and sent to them in exchange for a #2. They were very good and took back no problem, charged me the difference plus one way shipping, about $50.

(I got the bag initially on a going out of business sale, way cheaper than in this thread, just lucky right place and time) so upgrading still brought the out of pocket to low $200's.

Sleeping temp is very individual. My comments are that the #2 is significantly warmer than the #3 for little more weight. It has a draft tube around the neck and lots more loft. Both pack very small. I like it for the ss feature, as I roll around. If you are 6' be very wary of regular length. I don't think you will fit, as I am 6'1" and needed the long.

They are nice bags, but IMO if pricing is similar, I think WM bags are more conservative in their ratings and warmer. But some styles of the WM bags are very small girth, need to watch that before buying if you are bigger person, and order the bigger girth bags like the Megalite.

Images

I have the #2 and love it.
    I roll around a lot in my sleep and the stretch feature works great.
    The #2 is rated to 25 degrees and I've been comfortable down into the teens with just a good base layer on.
    It's light weight, packs small, and is very comfortable to sleep in. What's not to like about a Montbell bag?

Images

I have the 15* (#1 I think) and love it! a regular mummy bag to me is like a straight jacket!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Thank you for posting, I am ordering a #2 now.

Crab Cake

So I'm planning on starting my thru-hike at the end of March next year, and I'm torn on whether to get the Montbell SS #1 or #2. I'm leaning towards #2, but what does everyone else think?

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    So I'm planning on starting my thru-hike at the end of March next year, and I'm torn on whether to get the Montbell SS #1 or #2. I'm leaning towards #2, but what does everyone else think?

-Alex
    Yeah, get the #2 or perhaps a #3, it will be more versatile, but just be aware it could get cold for a couple weeks. I have a #1 and it's too warm for most nights.

Crab Cake

Cool, I've got a summer bag, so this will be pretty much just for colder times, but I don't mind wearing more clothes if I have to. Looks like I'm gonna order a #2.

-Alex

Crab Cake

Apparently they are sold out of the #2. I was too late.

Cool, I've got a summer bag, so this will be pretty much just for colder times, but I don't mind wearing more clothes if I have to. Looks like I'm gonna order a #2.

-Alex
    You'll save a few ounces with the #2 and shouldn't suffer for it. For the next couple months a #1 would be overkill. After you get you summer bag ( I suggest Pearisburg or Waynesboro) you shouldn't need the Montbell again until Glencliff.

Oh man! A #3 (30*) would probably work too and it only weights 1 lb 12.2 oz (for long) with Sea to Summit stuff sack.

Images

Damn.. Glad I got mine yesterday! Hope I don't get an email with bad news soon

I went in for a #2, but as I was going #2, a little #1 came out. I just couldn't help it.

Images

Dang it, I was too late also. I still went ahead and got a #3. Anybody got a good suggestion for a lightweight liner? While I'm asking, wouldn't using a mummy liner negate the SS function of the bag? Would a rectangular liner be better so you can kick out? Would it fit?
    Unwrap a smile. -Little Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Roll View Post
    While I'm asking, wouldn't using a mummy liner negate the SS function of the bag? Would a rectangular liner be better so you can kick out? Would it fit?
    I like shoulders and arm room. If you keep your arms out of the liner it will be good that way but, of course, not for your legs.

PS I oredered the #3 a couple weeks ago from Campsaver.com. The price was higher but I did get a free Montbell warm up sheet (liner- $45 retail) and free shipping so price was about the same

Images

I never had a down bag before. In addition to obvious warmth, would you recommend a liner just to keep your body from touching the bag? (I dont like to wear much clothes)

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    I never had a down bag before. In addition to obvious warmth, would you recommend a liner just to keep your body from touching the bag? (I dont like to wear much clothes)
    With a #2 you won't need any more warmth but you may want to try a silk liner to keep the bag clean. I ordered one from NZ a few years back for $25.

Added: here's the website http://www.jagbags.co.nz/products.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++