WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Smile Change to my hike!

Made a big change to my hike, while on my "extended stay" at Uncle Johnny's I was able to relax, go kayaking for my birth day, meet back up with hikers that were a little behind me and I added a new family member to the family!

While out in town a few of us stopped by the local animal shelter, long story short (read the long version on April 8th, in my journal), I adopted a 36 pound Red Heeler mix! He was scheduled to be put down that morning - along with 5 or so other dogs. Wish I couldve taken them all. Ended up name'n him Erwin, after his home town.

I had his rabies shot taken care of the next morning and then we headed for the trail. Erwin is doing great, he is kicking my butt! After 2 days I have decided to do a zero for he can rest and won't get hurt. I can't wait to get home so everyone can meet him and introduce Erwin to my other dog, Hudson. They should get along great.

After arriving home near Harpers Ferry, the plan is to either drop off Erwin at the house and pick up Hudson for the remander of the trip or take both
    Dogs with me (most likely not......option #1 would be a better choice most likely).

On a down side, my back has been hurting bad. Just been ignoring the pain so far but its catching up. Will keep pushing on but the zero days for recuppereration (sp?) are becoming more frequent and doing less good.

Sitting in Damascus now.

Will try to post photos, having ouble uploading. Doggiebag, he looks kinda like max. Acts the same also.

Be safe everyone and Happy Hiking!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wrongway_08 View Post
    Made a big change to my hike, while on my "extended stay" at Uncle Johnny's I was able to relax, go kayaking for my birth day, meet back up with hikers that were a little behind me and I added a new family member to the family!

While out in town a few of us stopped by the local animal shelter, long story short (read the long version on April 8th, in my journal), I adopted a 36 pound Red Heeler mix! He was scheduled to be put down that morning - along with 5 or so other dogs. Wish I couldve taken them all. Ended up name'n him Erwin, after his home town.

I had his rabies shot taken care of the next morning and then we headed for the trail. Erwin is doing great, he is kicking my butt! After 2 days I have decided to do a zero for he can rest and won't get hurt. I can't wait to get home so everyone can meet him and introduce Erwin to my other dog, Hudson. They should get along great.

After arriving home near Harpers Ferry, the plan is to either drop off Erwin at the house and pick up Hudson for the remander of the trip or take both
    Dogs with me (most likely not......option #1 would be a better choice most likely).

On a down side, my back has been hurting bad. Just been ignoring the pain so far but its catching up. Will keep pushing on but the zero days for recuppereration (sp?) are becoming more frequent and doing less good.

Sitting in Damascus now.

Will try to post photos, having ouble uploading. Doggiebag, he looks kinda like max. Acts the same also.

Be safe everyone and Happy Hiking!!!!
    congrats on the new friend,hope your back gets better. no-worries just keep plodding north you'll be fine. good hiking crumb

Images

Congratulations on the new partner! Best of luck in your journeys with Erwin.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

No comment on taking a dog on the trail - I'm pretty neutral on that, depends entirely on the nature/behavior of both dog and master.

I do commend you for acquiring your dog in this manner. It is the only way I will get a dog. No need to purchase one and encourage more folks to breed more dogs. Plus mixed breed, in my experience, make the best all-round dogs.

Edit: About your back. I assume you are stretching several times a day. If not it can make a huge difference in a fairly short time. Been there, done that.

Congratulations on your new family member and best of luck!!

Images

Thanks guys!

One favor, please don't post about if dogs should be or shouldn't be on the trail, the thread is not about that.
    Thanks to everyone who has made this trip an awesome one, the peopple here at Whiteblaze, hhome, hostels, towns and of course the hikers on the trail !! !

Images

Welcome to your new friend Erwin. I am sure he will always appreciate you saving his life. Hope he and Hudson become great friends. As for your back pain Yoga stretches do wonders for getting it back to normal. Slowing down on your hiking will also help. I know you don"t want to but your back will be happy for it. Enjoy the scenery and time with Erwin. Try to lighten your load too. Your almost half way there......pkenty of time to go. Enjoy.....Take Care....... Be Healthy and Smile...........

Congrats on the dog! Very cool! Just got done reading your journal and it sounds like you two are already bonding.

I agree with what's been said. Take it easy on your back, enjoy yourself and look after yourself as well as you are Erwin.

Safe hiking!

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

You are living it up. Some people just have a hard time with that.

I have back issues. I would gett it looked at if you can if it gets worse. I waited and it ended after a year or so in surgery. What works for me is adjusting my pack. I do little adjustments thoughout the day so it rides a little different. I usually carry the hipbelt a little lower than most on my hips. As long as it is above my hip to leg joints, I am fine.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Wrongway, I admire your adopting this animal in the middle of your hike. Most people would not have done it for fear that the animal wouldn't be up to it and would become a "problem." It's a very unselfish act.

congratulations wrongway on your new companion!!! take it easy regarding your back...
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Yes, kudos for adopting an abandoned animal.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There was a hiker that did that with a dog at Harpers Ferry. Said he would rather take care of the dog than hike. I know he did for a while but I think he eventually got back on the trail.

You might seriously consider going home now and resting your back. Pushing it, you're likely doing more harm than good. Might be the dog is a blessing and you can take him home now and get him acquainted with your other dog.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Wrongway, absolutely cool that you were able to turn a 180 on Erwin's life.
    Excellent work friend. Excellent.

Good show. Hope you both have a good time!

A post that makes me smile. Thanks

good luck with your new friend. i took mine for 300 miles for my 07 thru

I've had dogs all my life (since I was 4 years old) and the BEST were always pound mutts, either strays, abused or neglected, just plain unwanted, or some similar category. My next one will also be a pound rescue.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

That's cool, you saved the little suckers butt. I think you should take him all the way to Katahdin, he's part of your hike now.
    Throwing pearls to swine.

I met in Erwin in Damascus yesterday. Sweetest dog ever! I can see why you couldn't pass him up. Good luck on the hike!

neosporin (triple antibotic)for dry cracked pads, and benadryl for snake bites. slows the swelling of the throat. (unlikely) have a great hike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++