WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Boy Scouts

Registered Troll
    Images

Default Boy Scouts

Are they bad mostly in the summer or all year round? I mean, they have to go to school sometimes right.

Quote Originally Posted by Pothead
    Are they bad mostly in the summer or all year round? I mean, they have to go to school sometimes right.
    My experience with them since 1998 has been in the Summer and sometimes in the Fall, but mostly in the Summer. If they got a good scoutmaster they're not really that bad. Though I have seen some real screamers, night owls and shelter hogs out on the AT before. But like I said it really depends on the leader of them.

GA->Port Clinton, PA '04 eldwayno's Avatar

Default As an Eagle Scout...

I've gone on trips with Boy Scouts plenty of times, and yes there are the occasional troops that are lacking in the area of guidance and therefore lacking in respect of others, and so on... But there are also many scouts especially the younger ones that will look up to you and your journey. Feel free to talk to them about your experiences. It was one of these conversations when I was a Tenderfoot that led me to my first real backpacking trip at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and I probably wouldn't have a love for backpacking without that trip. Boy Scouts aren't really that bad, talk with them, share your experiences, and if they're at all like my troop there's sure to be some extra food.

Images

I have had less trouble out of the boy scouts than out of the people who just come out on the trail for a place to party. Most of the scouts that i have seen usually dont camp near the shelters. If the leaders are real leaders then the scouts have the respect not to invade on the privacy of others and tend to be out there for the experience of the outdoors just like anyone else. I have seen more in the spring and fall but have met quite a few troops out for there winter badges also. Just remember these young scouts are learning the woods and will probably be future thru hikers and ATC members.

Scouts are no problem, on the contray when they have shown up where I was camping I never had to get water, firewood and like it was said above they always had extra food and will invite you over. As a matter of fact the last time a group of boy scouts showed up one of the scout masters had packed a dutch oven (could not believe it when I saw it) and prepared apple cobbler and my buddy and myself were given some. It was such a treat to have this hot, sweet treat in the winter. And besides, they are learning and my hat is off to the men that will take the time to lead this countries youth in the right direction. In my book they are never a problem.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Actually, I have found the scouts courteous but noisy as heck. Other youth groups were worse.

On the other hand, a lot of "adult" groups were far worse with their destructive antics and drinking.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Default Boy Scouts

At least two boy scout troops helped in the conversion of the campground at Annapolis Rock, along the AT in Maryland. They were great with digging tools, and they truly enjoyed breaking up old fire rings that had proliferated through the forest -- gave them a chance to take rocks and throw them as far as they could. The troop leaders were extremely supportive, and they were able to get credit for the boys for their participation in the AT project. As to scouts I have met along the trail, they have always given me every courtesy, and I have enjoyed meeting them. I agree that we hikers have opportunities to influence them in positive ways.

Images

I work with scout troop here in East Tennessee. The main complaint is one of noise. They can be loud and no matter how far we hike they are likely to stay up at night wanting to talk and horse around. We are fortunate in that our group has been willing to obey a 11:00 pm lights out and quiet time. On all sections trips I have made we have stayed out of shelters to give others the benefit. I would agree with many comments that we are training the next generation of backpackewrs and outdoor lovers. Scouts also do a lot of clean up that others have left. We require all scouts and leaders to pick up litter along the trail and pack it out for the benefit of all. I am a proud scouter and love the outdoors, working with fine young men adds to the enjoyment. Also agree with the comments to share your experiences if you meet them on the trail, and yes they do usually have more food than they can eat and will share if approached properly.
    Big Guy
    and ye shall know the truth
    and the truth shall set you free.
    St. John 8.32
    "Be Safe"

Are you a power of example that can help change the boys that need the kind of guidance you say they lack?

Put up or shut up!!!

Now this is annoying

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy
    Also agree with the comments to share your experiences if you meet them on the trail, and yes they do usually have more food than they can eat and will share if approached properly.
    My only experience with scouts was a bad one. On my section hike last November, Rain Man had left for me some dinner and a snickers bar at a shelter. I think it was Blue Mountain shelter. I passed a lot of people telling me it was there waiting for me, then I passed a bunch of scouts just before getting to the shelter. My dinner and snickers bar was gone. I guess the candy was too much of a temptation for them.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Section Hiker - 2000+ miles

Default Boy Scouts

A few years back another assistant scoutmaster and myself started a yearly weeklong hiking trip to the AT in Vermont. We took between two and six boys each year depending on their abilities and advancement during the year. They were young, energetic and always faster than us on the trails. Other than putting time limits on their hiking time between stops (so that they would not loose us) we never experienced any kind of problems on the trail. They were always very proud to be the ones chosen for the hike and thus acted with great respect for all hikers and nature they came in contact with throuhout their hike. They each split sections of tents so that they would not monopolize any shelters. They would socialize and cook at the shelters and usually collected the necessary wood for a fire if allowed.

My experiences with scouts on this type of trip has been nothing but positive. They were inquisitive and asked many questions of the thruhikers we met on the trail. Many times they shared their food and learned much from their conversations. When everyone settled down for the night, they were asleep at the same time ,if not , before everyone else.

The problem on the trail occurs when local troops use the trail for their monthly weekend camping trips. The boys have much more energy because they haven't always walked it off. They are also blowing off some steam from the week at school or elsewhere and they forget that hikers want to go to sleep before dark. This is the point where their leaders have to step in and teach trail etiquette.

Scouts that look like scouts are usually just out for a weekend trip. Scouts that look like hikers usually act like hikers.

Phead:
    your post gives you away as trail trash. What's your 04 AT itinerary? I look forward to "bumping" into you on the trail so I can impart a small piece of wisdom I gained in becoming an eagle scout. LOSER

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Lightfoot I'm Eagle class of 73..two palms.

just what part of the eagle scout wisdom can we share with pothead???

I'm always glad to work with scouting. I'm a LNT trainer.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

1976 here. And I said impart not share. LNT? is that edward abbey of "the monkey wrench gang"?

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

ok Impart, ..what part of the wisdom??

that scouts are aggressive????

I believe he may already think that.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

other than town and trail angels, i can think of no better resupply than boy scouts.

The scouts I have met on the trail have been almost always, good kids. I had some really good times sharing shelters with scouts during my 2000 thru-hike. At the Ensign Cowell Shelter in MD (??), some scouts made us a nice fire during a cold day.

I have heard stories of some scout groups being a bit wild on the trail, but from my experiences, I tend to think this is the exception rather than the rule. Of course, most 13-14 year olds will act their age. That is bound to irritate some folks. As a parent, I'm accustomed to being around kids.

Thumbs up scouts

I was (and still consider myself to be) a boyscout. Our troop is located very near the trail in northeast TN and most of our backpacking trips were taken there. We, as scouts, always tried to be very courteous of other hikers. Of course there are always going to be some kids who really don't belong out there and probably don't want to be out there when it comes to scout outings. I know i've been embarassed by some of my fellow scouts because of their trail etiquette. I hope this isn't looked upon as a scout problem but can be seen as an individuals unfortunate actions. I can say for certain that the scout trips on the AT are what led me into more serious backpacking and now my thru hike this year. I was always fascinated by the thru hikers we would meet at the shelters. And we always gave the shelters to the other backpackers without a second thought. Just my two cents

Registered Troll
    Images

I've had problems with scout troops at state parks, where they'd litter and the scoutmaster wouldn't ask them to pick up their trash, and generally didn't try to keep them under control. And of course, the yelling and playing until very late at night.

I'm preparing to do the AT, and that's why I'm asking how often you see them there. Also on the AT, if I arrive at a shelter at 7:00 and a scout troop is already there, there probably won't be room for me no matter how well behaved they are. So I'd like to know in advance how often thru hikers are crowded out of shelters on the AT. And if it's mostly a summer thing in popular areas like the GSMNP and Shenandoahs, or all over.

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lightfoot
    Phead: your post gives you away as trail trash. What's your 04 AT itinerary? I look forward to "bumping" into you on the trail so I can impart a small piece of wisdom I gained in becoming an eagle scout. LOSER
    Tell you what tenderfoot, send me an email with your real name and address ......................... and I'll see what I can do. But if you don't feel like doing that, have some of this (passing the bong) and mellow out. Dude.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++