WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast Idea

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Default Breakfast Idea

This may be old hat for many but here is a tip I learned from a thru hiker a few weekends ago. If you are having hot instant ceral like oatmeal or grits, pour the hot water right into the envelope and eat out of it. Saves cleaning a bowl in the morning. Hope this helps someone, if not I am the last on earth to learn this tip!
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

During breakfast at Hiker Hostel the other morning there was a guy from New Zealand inquiring about grits. 'They're disgusting' he said. I thought it was hilarious, had to be there I guess. I've still never had grits, I try to sample the local fare while I'm in the south like sweet tea and such, but still haven't taken the dive into grits.

I'm surprized if the paper container holds up well to boiling hot water.

Images

That is a story for another thread! Grits are one of those things, you either get em or you don't. Two major mistake non-gritophiles make is they don't fix them right and/or they let them cool down too much. When grits get cold they become Grit, singular, not good eatin
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    During breakfast at Hiker Hostel the other morning there was a guy from New Zealand inquiring about grits. 'They're disgusting' he said. I thought it was hilarious, had to be there I guess. I've still never had grits, I try to sample the local fare while I'm in the south like sweet tea and such, but still haven't taken the dive into grits.
    First timers should avoid instant grits or greasy spoon diner grits. If you want to try them make an effort to get the real thing. Real grits are to instant grits what angels are to mortals.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peaks View Post
    I'm surprized if the paper container holds up well to boiling hot water.
    It holds up very well to boiling water. Be sure, if you've got something like maple and brown sugar, to turn the packet upside down and shake first or all the brown sugar gets stuck in the corners.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    It holds up very well to boiling water. Be sure, if you've got something like maple and brown sugar, to turn the packet upside down and shake first or all the brown sugar gets stuck in the corners.
    Some house brands actually use a foil lined packets, such as WalMart and Foodlion. Where Quacker brand is usually just a plastic lined packet.

I have been doing this for many (to many to remember) years. The first time some of my scouts seen me doing this they thought it was such a novel idea. To me it was a no brainer.
    OWL

Images

I don't pour the water right in from a rolling boil, let a cool a bit (I can't eat it that hot anyway!) Little Red is right, if you don't do that the first have is way nasty but the last few bites are GREAT! I would pour a little mix a little till I got the consistancy I wanted. No problems with the water but the packet got a bit hot, used a cup to hold still no muss.

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

Ashman, you will have to show the scouts you work with. They too will think it is "way cool". BTW, I usually put on a glove to hold the packet.
    OWL

Doubt that there is enough room in that package to add dry milk, raisins, honey, and wheat germ.

Images

Depends on how much you are adding, you'd be surprised. Try it at home, you will find that it either (1) works one less dish to wash! (2) works but I have to add less stuff, one less dish to wash! or (3) doesn't one more dish to wash

Reason why it works is that the dry product absorbs the water almost immediately If you are eating one packet, works great!

As for grits....with other stuff added they are really not that bad. Actually kind of good!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post
    Reason why it works is that the dry product absorbs the water almost immediately If you are eating one packet, works great!

As for grits....with other stuff added they are really not that bad. Actually kind of good!
    I do grits most every morning when hiking. Get the variety pack of instant grits with cheese, buttered, bacon, etc. Not as good as real, but the trail just is not the place to try to cook real grits IMO. It takes too long. Plus with grits you feel really full with just like one pack, IMO.

Never tried this approach, but you can bet I will be soon!!

Images

I like the instant cheese grits, break up some pre-cooked bacon, add extra cheese, some diced fresh jalapeno and eat.

Then I guess the cheese grits may not be that great, but they are an excellent substarte for the other stuff I put into them.. I like the idea of mixing them up in the envelope, gotta try it. So Ashman you weren't the last to know.

I'm jusy not much of a breakfast eater and have to pretty much choke down whatever I eat in the morning. So this works fine. Otherwise I just eat a Clif bar as I walk, a piece at a time.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

While this may be a "field expedient" solution for a quick gulp-it-and-go, I am very suspect about the type of plastic chemical cooties that you might be ingesting.

Many plastics are not meant to be heated, then the contents consumed by humans.

Personally, I'd avoid this maneuver if possible.
    I walk the line.

Quote Originally Posted by sarbar View Post

If you are eating just one, it explains the lack of energy to wash the bowl and spoon.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    If you are eating just one, it explains the lack of energy to wash the bowl and spoon.
    Lol...well, yeah!
    Trail Cooking

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by spittinpigeon View Post
    I used to be the sameway. But they are great if done right.

Though I have not had hominy grits.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

As fer them instant grits I have actually gone to eating them pretty often on the trail. For one, they are VERY brace friendly and I don't spend the first 3 miles sucking food out of my teeth (TMI I am sure..lol!)
    But even more so I have found I can do them sweet or savory and they are pretty cheap overall.
    I love them with True Orange powder, dried cranberries and brown sugar. So good!
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Yes, that too, but leave it to a man to devise a method where he doesn't have to wash dishes...
    think I'll go for a walk outside now...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++