WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

This is like a game of 20 questions - kinda ridiculous. If you are concerned about it, go see a doctor.

Happy hiking!

TTF

The doc who said "no hypoglycemia without diabetes" might be an idiot. When you do go to a doctor for this problem, don't go to him.

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    The doc who said "no hypoglycemia without diabetes" might be an idiot. When you do go to a doctor for this problem, don't go to him.
    HYPO-glycemia means low-blood sugar (in your circulating serum/blood). Diabetes' primary symptom is elevated blood sugar (glucose) due to a shortage of the pancreatic hormone insulin. With an insulin shortage the glucose can't enter the cells, so it builds up in the blood and does all manner of harm.

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    Only about one third of people survive the first heart attack. Every heart attack victims funeral I have been to, their survivors tell about an incident such as yours. Most have a good reason why they didn't go to the doc. Good Luck to ya

Clyde
    Thanks for your assurance. Though I wonder how many of them were climbing a 80 degree grade slope at the time of their incidents. But yes, I'll talk to my doctor.

As for the idea of hypoglycemia I am not seeing that doctor anymore. (who suggested it was a pseudodx.) The reason for the comments are this:
    hypoglycemia is also caused by taking too much insulin. That's why it's important in diabetes. I don't think there was a suggestion that it is the same thing as diabetes.

Also cyclists commonly have such incidents (from my research). It is pretty much described as low blood pressure and caused by heavy exertion in the legs.

The reason for my question though was not to get dxed. I realize that isn't really possible. Just wondered if others had experienced the same thing. Though probably most of you aren't really doing the same type of hiking.

--des

Images

des,
    First up - yes, by all means, talk to your doctors.

Next, from personal experience, I've had similar symptoms for years, and my docs have never been able to pin it down to anything specific. The closest we've been able to come is to say that it's related to low blood sugar, low blood pressure, and a low red blood cell count. I'm fine with only one of the three being low, but let any two of the three drop below a certain point, and I'm in trouble. If I slowly drink some orange juice, or eat an apple, I'm fine within 30 minutes, so blood sugar definitely has a lot to do with it in my case. (Surprisingly enough, if I drink apple juice, this seems to make it worse for me.)

Most folks don't drink enough water - ever. If I become dehydrated, the first thing that I notice is a pounding headache. Two glasses of water later, the headache has vanished.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

I'll answer the other part of your question --

Yes, I've had this happen to me. You did the right thing for immediate treatment: sitting, hydrating, and trying to raise your blood sugar (eating) all while keeping yourself conscious.

In my case, it was just a case of low blood sugar as I hadn't really had an appetite that morning so didn't eat breakfast. But you'll never know how relieved I was to hear that diagnosis coming from a doctor unless you, too, go see a doctor and get a diagnosis of your own.

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    HYPO-glycemia means low-blood sugar (in your circulating serum/blood). Diabetes' primary symptom is elevated blood sugar (glucose) due to a shortage of the pancreatic hormone insulin. With an insulin shortage the glucose can't enter the cells, so it builds up in the blood and does all manner of harm.
    Yeah, I get it, Im a type 1. Just saying, many people suffer from hypoglycemia without it being a reaction to diabetes medication. Many folks who will develop type 2 diabetes later in life suffer from hypolglycemia and unbalanced sugar levels before they develop it, and many folks just get it occasionally when they exercise too much or eat too little. The doctor who dismissed the possibility of hypoglycemia without concurrent diabetes was either an idiot, or misunderstood.

wrt to similar experiences - yeah I've bonked backpacking uphill after stupidly skipping breakfast - sat/layed down a while, ate, drank, half hour later continued on

Images

i get similar symptoms when i'm working outside in the heat of summer sometimes. i know this isn't always an option hiking, but i usually move to a shaded area and have a soda or gatorade. usual feel this way when my blood sugar is too low. i love the advice shelterbuilder gave of having an apple. probably one of the best foods you can have on the trail.

glad to see you're using your brain and visiting your dr and hope you're ok des...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
    Years ago, I had a blood sugar test (one of those long ones) and I definitely got low blood sugar. I have had them before, but not so much lately. I had a snack (gorp) about an hour earlier. OTOH, I maybe exerted myself quite a bit more than average.

Another thing is low blood pressure-- I can get this standing up quickly.

I also think a few other things people mentioned are possible (dehydration). Though not sun or heat stroke. It wasn't particularly hot.

I have doubts that a doctor could figure this out in an otherwise healthy person, unless I could take him on the trail and could reenact it somehow.

Still I will ask about it.

--des
    Before I went on a long hike last year I had my Dr. order a stress test. It's an excellent way for them to simulate vigorous excercise in a controlled environment. They hooked up machines to me and put me on a treadmill, then gradually increased the level of effort and measured my heart's response to that.

Turned out ok for me and was a very comforting thing to have in my back pocket before heading out on a solo hike on a trail with lots of solitude.

Just an idea.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post
    Before I went on a long hike last year I had my Dr. order a stress test. It's an excellent way for them to simulate vigorous excercise in a controlled environment. They hooked up machines to me and put me on a treadmill, then gradually increased the level of effort and measured my heart's response to that.

Turned out ok for me and was a very comforting thing to have in my back pocket before heading out on a solo hike on a trail with lots of solitude.

Just an idea.
    Awesome idea, especially if you haven't been doing any vigorous exercise in a while or have gotten out of shape or are at that age and have that family history thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++