WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The 20 Saltiest Foods in America (to avoid them)

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24313369/

Links for each saltiest dish in original.
    =============================
    The 20 saltiest foods in America

Avoid these foods if you care about heart health, blood pressure and stroke
    • Intro
    • 20: Saltiest Side Dish
    • 19: Saltiest Dessert
    • 18: Saltiest Soup
    • 17: Saltiest Burger
    • 16: Saltiest "Healthy" Food
    • 15: Saltiest Pasta
    • 14: Saltiest Chinese Entrée
    • 13: Saltiest Breakfast
    • 12: Saltiest Beef Entrée
    • 11: Saltiest Frozen Dinner
    • 10: Saltiest Bread
    • 9: Saltiest Sandwich
    • 8: Saltiest Pizza
    • 7: Saltiest Comfort Food
    • 6: Saltiest Salad
    • 5: Saltiest Mexican Entrée
    • 4: Saltiest Kids' Meal
    • 3: Saltiest Seafood Entrée
    • 2: Saltiest Appetizer
    • 1: The Saltiest Dish in America

By Lauren Murrow, Men’s Health magazine

"Salty food may seem like the least of your worries, especially if you're among the 40 percent of people who mindlessly shake salt on every dish. An extra dash here, a few sprinkles there--what's the big deal?

A lot, when you consider the fact that a mere teaspoon of the stuff contains all 2,300 milligrams (mg) of your recommended daily allotment. Yet daily salt consumption is on the rise in the United States--from 2,300 mg in the 1970s to more than 3,300 mg today. And according to Monell Chemical Senses Center researchers, 77 percent of that sodium intake comes from processed-food purveyors and restaurants. Their motivation: Pile on the salt so we don't miss natural flavors and fresh ingredients.

Why is that a problem? With ever-expanding portion sizes, supersalty foods are displacing fresh fruits and vegetables, which are rich in potassium. And a 1:2 ratio of dietary salt to potassium is critical for your health. Studies show that a high-sodium, low-potassium diet is linked to a host of maladies, including high blood pressure, stroke, osteoporosis, and exercise-induced asthma.

To protect your heart, your bones, your muscles, and your tastebuds, we scoured takeout menus and supermarket shelves to expose the 20 saltiest foods in America. No need to take the information with a grain of salt. These dishes provide plenty."

Hypertensive people unite!

I'm a sucker for tapanade. But it is way too salty for my own good. There is a concept called "moderation" that I've heard of, but I don't really understand it. Maybe some day.

That reminds me. Add tapanade to the shopping list for Friday's party.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

After reading that, I may never eat at Macaroni Grill again.

Images

Not surprising at all. The list is all restaurant and fast-food fare. Yup, don't pass the salt, please. Just reading it makes me feel thirsty.
    It's not too hard to prepare delicious, healthy meals at home, and a lot cheaper, too. Still, is there a reason why some people crave salty food?
    think I'll go for a walk outside now...

Images

Default DIY Food Prep

Quote Originally Posted by tazie View Post
    It's not too hard to prepare delicious, healthy meals at home, and a lot cheaper, too. Still, is there a reason why some people crave salty food?
    Conditioning, lack of knowledge and alternatives. Read the soup labels next time you visit your favorite market. Hard to find anything on the shelf that doesn't contain upwards of 60% of the RDA for sodium per can. Yes, reading labels can be an eye-opener and an educational experience.

Outdoorsmen and women should also take a look at what's in the small print on those packages of "noodles" upon which so many subsist and understand the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Conditioning, lack of knowledge and alternatives. Read the soup labels next time you visit your favorite market. Hard to find anything on the shelf that doesn't contain upwards of 60% of the RDA for sodium per can. Yes, reading labels can be an eye-opener and an educational experience.

Outdoorsmen and women should also take a look at what's in the small print on the packages of "noodles" upon which so many subsist and understand the consequences.
    Same with high fructose corn syrup. Even the "healthy" snack foods have tons of it.

It’s almost impossible to avoid salt when buying food anymore. Even sugar cookies have salt in them.

An alternative to look at is sea salt. Here is the link to a good article by Slate Magazine on salt and they types of salt.

http://www.slate.com/id/2117243/

I love how the article points out that the "healthy" section of these restaurant's menu aren't really healthy at all. Many think that because you are eating a salad, you are eating good, but most of these salads are loaded with very bad things. I am cursed with high blood pressure & high cholesterol, and had my triglicerides top out around 1200 one time while unmedicated. Basically I have decided that I since I do not know how food is prepared at most restaurants, I won't dine out. I have a hard time getting my wife to support me in this....she just thinks that I am cheap.
    You can't fix stupid....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Grandma View Post
    Basically I have decided that I since I do not know how food is prepared at most restaurants, I won't dine out. I have a hard time getting my wife to support me in this....she just thinks that I am cheap.
    Grandma, it's unfortunate you don't have the full support of your wife. I'm single and sometimes believe I'm better off because of it.

I don't dine out much either. There just isn't much which appeals to me. I'd rather prepare my own meals anyway.

Images

people dine out or go fast food b/c they're lazy. plain and simple

nice article, but i assume most people who hike are relatively conscious of their food intake

Images

Conscious and informed are 2 different animals. Doesn't care is another, yet they all impact upon everyone's health-care costs.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

The assertion that higher sodium is unhealthy for all people is not established medically. Some people suffer blood pressure spikes from high sodium, others seem to process out the sodium with no ill effects. I have never had high blood pressure, and have never seen my blood pressure to be affected by sodium. So I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    The assertion that higher sodium is unhealthy for all people is not established medically. Some people suffer blood pressure spikes from high sodium, others seem to process out the sodium with no ill effects. I have never had high blood pressure, and have never seen my blood pressure to be affected by sodium. So I don't care.

I wish I didn't have to care.....I LOVE greasy southern home cooking! D-Rat, I envy your genes.
    You can't fix stupid....

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

I love salty food...and when my blood pressure was taken last Friday it was 104/70.

Also, the last time my cholesterol was checked, it was perfectly fine too.

I think I'm just naturally sodium deficient, so I need to make up for it...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    How old are you?

He who hangs in trees
    Images

I am a average fitness 25 year old male. I will go on record saying I don't have sodium related health issues. And I do not moderate or monitor my sodium. I think a lot of sodium's bad rep comes from the fact it is bad for you if you have preexisiting conditions affected by sodium. Sodium on it's own is not normally the cause.

Of course a lot of the problems could be solved by more balanced food intake. If I eat a lot of fatty food, I try to include lots of fiber. If I realize I had a ton of salt, I'll try to have some potassium to make up for it...etc, etc...

And I'm not talking balancing out your McDonalds intake by going to Macaroni Grill either......

Images

I wouldn't expect any 25 y/o to have sodium related health issues. You are in the prime of life. As we age, everything changes. When you reach mid life, you will be watch your diet, or face health issues.

BTW, this might be changing. I see news reports from time to time about teenage obesity, and other related health issues. Young kids are eating way too much junk food. 20 may become the old 40.

I think that younger generations aren't cooking as much. My wife doesn't know how to cook much, which leads her to want to dine out more. I feel that my generation wants instant gratification, and rely on fast food, or chain restaurants too often.

Also, kids are inside playing video games too often, and not outside playing. You can't burn off a double quarter pounder with cheese punching buttons. I hate it that kids want to watch movies, or play games rather than riding a bike. Point the finger at the parents, they are to blame.
    You can't fix stupid....

He who hangs in trees
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    I wouldn't expect any 25 y/o to have sodium related health issues. You are in the prime of life. As we age, everything changes. When you reach mid life, you will be watch your diet, or face health issues.

BTW, this might be changing. I see news reports from time to time about teenage obesity, and other related health issues. Young kids are eating way too much junk food. 20 may become the old 40.
    If you read carefully you will notice while I only spoke for myself I was trying to express I don't feel sodium is the cause of health issues it only excarbates existing health issues. And I do a decent job of eating healthy and watching my diet, I have since I quit drinking at age 22. I don't consider a healthy diet one where I severly limit anything, I just try to balance everything as I stated in the above post.

My hope is by eating a moderately balanced diet, I will be able to eat pretty near what I choose without serious health side effects. I believe the real issue is the majority of people that indulge in the unhealthy foods, and do nothing to balance their system.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++