WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Smartwool socks

El Sordo
    Images

sorry about that Cathy. one of those woulda, shoulda, coulda moments I guess. Had I known.................
    Dyslexics Untie!

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeEngine View Post
    I Use Injinji socks. They are japaneese, and come in nuWool or Performax. I like them because they are toe socks, and prevent me from getting blisters between my toes.
    I have the toe socks for camp on chilly eves. In my humble opinion you can't beat Smart Wool!

Laugh until it hurts, then laugh at that :) adventurousmtnlvr's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    sorry about that Cathy. one of those woulda, shoulda, coulda moments I guess. Had I known.................
    lol, we still love you for finally mentioning it ... great info thanks I never would have found that otherwise, lol. and now we know ...

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!

Default I'm lost

Doesn't the AT go right by that store?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
    "Do not follow the common path. Go where there is no path and leave a trail."

Images

jason wouldn't toe socks be colder than normal socks? same principle as gloves - more surface area exposed

of Hatman and Happy Feet GAME '01 Happy Feet's Avatar
    Images

I work just up the road (a mile or so?) and our UPS driver told me about this place. I plan to run up there and check it out. If possible, I'll buy as many as I can and bring them to the Gathering in a few weeks. I'm guessing that Medium and Large would be the most in demand? I've heard their selection is limited to what they happen to have at the outlet at the time, so no promises...

Journal Entries

In the interest of full disclosure, another popular hiking sock, Thorlos, are made in Statesville, NC. The factory store is located in a shopping mall just off a four lane express road. (I-80 or I-81. I forget which.)

I've used both SmartWool and Thorlos and prefer the latter, though lately I've been wearing mostly Smartwool because they are sold nearby. The nearest Thorlo store is a 70 mile round trip away.

Weary

Section Hiker - 339.8 miles - I'm gettin' there! papa john's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    In the interest of full disclosure, another popular hiking sock, Thorlos, are made in Statesville, NC. The factory store is located in a shopping mall just off a four lane express road. (I-80 or I-81. I forget which.)

I've used both SmartWool and Thorlos and prefer the latter, though lately I've been wearing mostly Smartwool because they are sold nearby. The nearest Thorlo store is a 70 mile round trip away.

Weary
    Exit 49B off I77. Go east to Folger Dr. and then north.

1525 Cinema Dr. #b
    Statesville, NC 28625
    704-873-8243
    Papa John

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by papa john View Post
    Exit 49B off I77. Go east to Folger Dr. and then north.

1525 Cinema Dr. #b
    Statesville, NC 28625
    704-873-8243
    Thanks for the correction. We used to drive south a couple of times a year when my wife's parents lived in Salisbury, NC. Both died a decade ago, so we rarely have an excuse to make the trip anymore.

My wife occasionally suggests another trip south. But with $4 gas, we'd have to clean out the factory store to make a profit.

Weary

El Sordo
    Images

I might have already mentioned this, but let me repeat. Smartwool threatened to take their contract away from Charleston Hosiery if they didn't restrict their sales. Seems some folks were buying Smartwools at the outlet and then reselling them on EBay. So, you are now limited to 12 pair and will be requested to sign a book with your name when you purchase Smartwool socks. The socks are marked with a stencil saying "not for resale" on the arch. I still consider this a good deal for hikers needing socks, but if you're looking to make a buck this might not be your best option. You buy what they happen to have in stock at the moment as overruns or discontinued colors etc. If you don't like the selection then have a nice day. (NY for FU) They also have some other proprietary socks such as John Deere and what they term diabetic socks. This is a true factory outlet and most of the building is taken up by the warehouse. The staff are friendly and courteous and truly don't give a **** if you don't like the selection.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Images

Anybody going thru that are and wants to pick me up some I'll reimburse you greatly. Will buy yours and shipping to me and whatever else youd like monatary wise. Nothing outrageous just really wanting to buy a bunch of them and get a good deal.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Feet View Post
    I work just up the road (a mile or so?) and our UPS driver told me about this place. I plan to run up there and check it out. If possible, I'll buy as many as I can and bring them to the Gathering in a few weeks. I'm guessing that Medium and Large would be the most in demand? I've heard their selection is limited to what they happen to have at the outlet at the time, so no promises...
    Happy Feet, I will be at the Gathering for sure and I would LOVE to get as many pairs of these socks as possible. I will pay you $6.00 a pair and give you $20 for picking them up for me. If you can't do it I totally understand but if you can you will be my hero and I will be in debt to you for the rest of my time here on Earth...

Images

I'm trying to get talk to that UPS drive. I am a hub supervisor.

How could any socks made down south be any good?
    I'm a yankee and thought that all the good socks came from up north:-)

Anyway, I can't make it down there, so I have to settle on the occasional internet sale.
    I saw em for less than $10 on Sierra whatever and bought 15 pair cuz I love em so much.

Marino wool is the ***** when it comes to socks, at least for me anyway
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

I can picture it now. A small bus pulls up outside the Smartwool Outlet in Cleveland TN. AT hikers shuffle into the place and each mosey right on out with a dozen pairs each of Smartwool socks. The bus with many smiling faces heads out of town to the nearest trail to test their new firesale priced socks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++