WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast
    Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Hello all. It's been 20 years since I was hiking. The last trip at was at 17 to Baxter state park and 50 miler on the Alagash water way in the scouts. Back then it was just about nothing but external frame packs and pretty heavy tents. I stopped by REI the other day and was floored at much more comfortable I'm gonna be when I set of for Maine in march 2013. I went fishing with my kids on Fathers day and suddenly realized I had been away for the last 20 years. Where have I been and what have I been thinking. So back to the woods I'm going. I was surprised that my wife thinks it's a good idea that I'll be gone for 6 or 7 months.....hmmm. Anyway I have a lot to learn and am so glad I have found a place to connect with other hikers that have put the miles on all this awesome new gear. I'm here to pick your brains!!!!

Happy trails

BarnRat

Hello,

We just wanted to let our presence be known to the world of AT. My father and I have recently decided to start showing our love and compassion to the many hikers and wanderers out there, by announcing we are your Trail Angel of Harper's Ferry, West Virginia.

Harper's Ferry is a wonderful town, in which we have resided here for several months now, but we have noticed there isn't much in the department of transportation, well there are buses and such, but not a sure way to get to the local Walmart and such to restock, or get some food. We are here to fill that gap.

We are offering our nice, large, cozy Suburban (seating for 9+) to transport you around town. Need to get to the laundry mat? Just give us a ring, and we will take you and bring you back to where you would like to be dropped off at. We aren't asking anything for our service. Nice local short runs though ask us and we can work with you on what you would need.

We would like to get in contact with other T.A's, to help get the word out, that Harper's Ferry is open for some trail magic.
    Our email address is:

[email protected]

So if you know a T.A, or are one yourself, and we would love to get into connect with you and help out.

Thanks,

David
    -HF.TA-

I just wanted to say 'hi'. I enjoy hiking and always make sure I include some when I travel. This will be my first visit to the US (slightly daunting) and I am planning (or at least trying to plan) a section hike in the Autumn (starting mid-Oct) from Harpers Ferry to Damascus. No idea of what to do first when it comes to the planning (but know I need to and soon!) and I am hoping that I will put the information on these forums to good use.
    Katy

Hey WB,

I'm coming over here from HammockForums.net sister site. I'm getting back into hiking and backpacking after many years of being lazy and or busy. Living in Massachusetts and looking to section hike the AT in New England and any other trails I come across.

Anyway excited to be here...
    Fry: "I can't swallow that!"
    Farnsworth: "Well then, good news! It's a suppository."

After taking 15 years off from any serious hiking... I am back. My gear is 3 times heavier than current models, but if I could carry it as a teen in Philmont, NM , I am sure I can carry it now. Although I have been slowly upgrading it lately. I have lived less than 10 min from the AT for almost 30 years and spend a lot of time around the trail just not much ON it. Life has got in the way of the long time goal of GAME but next April I will be sectioning GA-VA.

Hello everyone. I'm planning what I call a thru hike but will probably end up being a section hike starting in Georgia on May 4th, 2012. I used to hike and backpack alot when I was younger, scouts and family stuff. I stopped when I left home and then did some dayhiking and car camping from 07-09. I'm back in school and have some time to take it up again. It has been mindblowing seeing the equipment changes that have come out since the early 90's and I hope to get some input for my trip as this site has already been a tremendous resource.

Hello all, introducing myself. Excited about eventually hiking the Appalachian Trail in it's entirety with two of my closest friends starting Sept 8, 2011 at Springer. Thanks for the great forum that will allow newbies like myself and my buddies to learn more about what we can expect on the trail and help us to prepare for a wonderful adventure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FollowFowler View Post
    Hello all, introducing myself. Excited about eventually hiking the Appalachian Trail in it's entirety with two of my closest friends starting Sept 8, 2011 at Springer. Thanks for the great forum that will allow newbies like myself and my buddies to learn more about what we can expect on the trail and help us to prepare for a wonderful adventure.
    welcome to WB. theres a lot of great information available to you here. I suggest you read some of the articles on the left side of the home page to help with your planning, and when you have a specific question, feel free to ask. I do want to suggest, however, either a different start date, as you would be hiking straight through the worst weather the mountains can provide. Or you might consider starting at Katahdin and hking south, keeping one step ahead of the cold.Most NOBOS stat march or april, and Baxter State Park closes on Oct 15th. doesnt reopen to hikers until May.

Just wanted to say hello! Looking forward to getting to know the community and learning from all the valuable resources on the site. Cheers!

Greetings everyone! Took a round trip from Clingmans Dome to Silers Bald just yesterday, a balmy 58 degrees on return. A great hike once you leave the masses at the Dome.

Greetings-

Wow, what a lot of info here. Also completely new, I recently watched the National Geographic show about the AT and it got me thinking about hiking. Did a fun little day hike this morning, just grabbed my water bottle and a walking stick and climbed Hualapai Peak in my own back yard. It was about 4 miles from road to peak and we were on the trail about 4 hours climbing from 6,600 feet to 8,020. The weather was perfect.

Anyways, I also hope to connect with others, come up with a game plan and hike some? all? of the AT next year. Pros and rookies alike, drop me a line and share what you have learned. I'm all ears.

Sid in Kingman, AZ

Registered User Virginia Archer's Avatar

Hello all, just found your site doing some searching on the web. Recently saw a couple of documentary's on netflix on the AT and have gotten the itch to getting up there again. I'm from Central VA about 2 hours east. I've been up and done a few sections as a Scout and family outings. Kinda looking to possibly start doing some sections again by myself and maybe a few smaller ones with my daughter and Possibly the wifey too! Mainly figured I'd look to some more experienced hikers for some pointers.

Hello, Been about a year getting back into hiking by way of the Hammock Forum. Though born and raised in Florida, after spending the last few summers in Maine, I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity here. Been spending the summer reworking my kit to lighten the load some before our season begins. Being retired I have lots of time and little money so thought this might be the best source of info for DIY and tips to lighten that load.

Hi all.
    I come from France then my english is not very good, I hope it will be ok.
    I did hikings in the world and one in USA (JMT, last year).
    This year, in september, i will come back to USA in different place. I want to visit NYC and use 4 days to hike allong of the AT.

See You.
    Rémi.

Hello. New guy from NC. Have been lurking around for a few month and decided to join. It has always been a dream of mine to hike the whole AT and hopefully it will happen within the next few years. Hope to make a few friend and get some good info on the site

Lifetime Section Hiker Berry Belle's Avatar

Hi, I hiked HF to ME in 1992 and I've been pluggin' away at the southern half, week by week, ever since. Getting farther away from home, so I stopped by to see what I could find that might help me plan my next week on the AT.

AKA LONER Class of 2012 SnakeSession's Avatar

Hello! Looking forward to learning as much as I can from everyone here.

Another new guy here with plans on a solo thru hike in 2012. This spring I started hiking serious to help loose weight. So far I've lost 65 lbs and am hooked on hiking bigtime. I completed the Foothills trail in July and had so much fun that I started reading about the AT.

Learned a lot of need-to-know info already from this site and still have a LOT of planning to do before March/April.

Getting my gear figured out but still learn every night I camp. At first I had a army surplus pack full of junk but going ultralight and working on getting the weight down.

That's my quick intro. Thanks for the site, Jeff aka SnakeSession

Hello to all. I try to always post an intro in a forum I join as a thanks for letting me in the first place. I am lucky enough to live close enough to the AT to be able to hike it as many weekends as I can et off from my many jobs. Just wanted to say that I have read many of your articles and tips and were instrumental in getting me going on the right path early on in my hiking endeavours. Hope to be a contributing member of this forum an yet again thanks for all the work.

Smile

Hello, everyone. I'm new around here and just starting to check things out. This looks like an interesting place and there seem to be some pretty lively discussions going on.

Default Another Newbie post

Another newbie here. Hiking the AT has been on my bucket list for many years, but living less than 5 miles from the Atlantic ocean and rarely having 2 consecutive days off from work doesn't provide much opportunity. But I haven't stopped dreaming. Hubby and I drove the Blueridge Parkway from Waynesboro to Wytheville this past weekend for our 20th anniversary (which really happens to be today). I got to step on the AT (hubby teased that my bucket list now has another item marked off) and it only served to remind me that I'm not getting any younger and to renew my desire to get out there. I know that a thru-hike is many years away--if ever, but I would love to do some weekend hikes and work my way up to a week or two by the end of next summer. Hubby is disabled so I'm going to need hiking buddies. I'd love to hear from anyone willing to help me start the journey to crosssing this off my bucket list for real!

--Michelle

Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 37 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++