WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast

Greetings Hit,

Where in Florida are you. I did a bit of kayaking around the Tampa area. Just finished 3 days going from Springer to Woody Gap.

Quote Originally Posted by BumperMcV View Post
    Greetings Hit,

Where in Florida are you. I did a bit of kayaking around the Tampa area. Just finished 3 days going from Springer to Woody Gap.
    I am in Destin. I am sure it will be at least a year or two before I start my journey. Planning on starting in Georgia of course.

Well its about time that I finally registered an account and introduced myself. My name is Nick and I'm planning a 2014 thru hike. Grew up hiking the mid-atlantic and new england sections and can't wait to experience the whole thing. Thanks to the creators and members for such amazing and helpful information sharing.

Hello all,
    I hope it's not frowned upon that I have never have been on the AT trail and honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance. I am a member of hammockforums.net and I've heard this forum referenced a bunch of times there. So I figured I'd check you guys out. I'm really liking the site you guys have here. Lots of great information that isn't necessarily AT specific. While I don't have any insights into that particular part of the country, I think that there is a lot of crossover when talking about camping in any part of the country. I have a lot of interest in diy projects and have done a few myself, so hopefully I can contribute something to your community here. I primarily camp/hang in the sierras as well as the CA coast and coastal mountains/foothills out here. Thanks to you all for the great site and forum you have going here.

Quote Originally Posted by THE DANGLER View Post
    Hello all,
    I hope it's not frowned upon that I have never have been on the AT trail and honestly I'm not sure if I'll ever get the chance. I am a member of hammockforums.net and I've heard this forum referenced a bunch of times there. So I figured I'd check you guys out. I'm really liking the site you guys have here. Lots of great information that isn't necessarily AT specific. While I don't have any insights into that particular part of the country, I think that there is a lot of crossover when talking about camping in any part of the country. I have a lot of interest in diy projects and have done a few myself, so hopefully I can contribute something to your community here. I primarily camp/hang in the sierras as well as the CA coast and coastal mountains/foothills out here. Thanks to you all for the great site and forum you have going here.
    Welcome to Whiteblaze. I like ur username.. perfect for the hammock hanger. Maybe you can make it to the east coast someday. In the meantime, it will be interesting to hear of ur hikes on the west coast.

Images

If your hiking around Pearisburg VA and need a shuttle Don Raines is your man. He not only shuttled us (at a very resonable price) but he let us know he was there if we needed him, and we did. He was AWESOME.

welcome for all

Hello everyone! I am new to the forum. I know that forums are a good place to learn and interact with other people , so that People can share their experience with each other.

Default New member.

Good day everybody. I grew up hiking around Southern Indiana, but now reside in Southern California. Im planning a 2013 thru-hike but have never done a long distance hike so i have many questions to come! I have about half my gear now, but still have many more questions on the rest of the gear i still need to acquire. I've been going out and bagging as many peaks as i can within the area and plan on doing a few small sections of the PCT to get me in the rhythm before i head east in the spring. Spent 6 year's landscaping as the head laborer of the crew and my free time has always been spent being active skateboarding, hiking, traveling, slacklining, surfing, riding bikes, climbing trees, going to music festivals, being a free spirit and just loving life. I've been looking forward to doing this hike for a really long time. I could ramble on forever but for now i want to go climb Cuyamaca Peak (6512 ft.) in the Cuyamaca mountain range and enjoy the beautiful sunny day. Happy Trails!

Welcome A James and NaturalHiker

Long term section hiker Stalking Tortoise's Avatar

Howdy folks. Long time lurker, first time poster. I've probably met a few of you out on the trail over the past 10 years as my hiking partner Smoking Sox and I have been completing various sections. We're looking at hiking from Pearisburg to Catawba in the spring then starting into New Hampshire over the summer and fall.

I got my trail name on my first section hike in 2003. In the first 30 minutes of the hike, I passed another hiker (RestStep), recognized him from his on-line journal, and greeted him by name. My friends called me a trail stalker and eventually softened it to Stalking Tortoise since I was always the last one into the shelter.

See y'all out on the trail!
    Completed Sections: Springer to Clingmans Dome, & Max Patch to Gorham NH

Images

Welcome to WB Tortoise!

Hello new to the forum from South Jersey.

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Welcome to Whiteblaze ringz!
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Hi everyone!

My name is Nick and I currently am attending Virginia Tech. I got into backpacking a year ago and have hiked along the AT and in Philmont with the Boy Scouts. I hope to learn some more about backpacking and about any cool hikes you guys can recommend!

This is about as good as an intro as you could hope to find.

Written in 2007 and 3 pages into the 33 page "Welcome thread"... Sort of like digging into an old latrine pit and finding a silver dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    You want tips? Here they are. They are useless unless you have (a) a mind and (b) the willingness to use it. If you lack either, you shouldn't be in either this Forum or on the AT, so consider this good training:

1) No one here is your Mommy, even if your Mommy is here. No one is a tin dictator. You can say and do anything you want, within the limits of the rarely-implemented User Agreement, except for disagreeing with me. You don't want to do that, since if you do, you'll get about 400 wild rants posted by me about how you're the one that's wrong, but I can't delete your posts or throw you out. Only ATTroll, Dixicritter or Sgt. Rock can do that.

2) This is a bunch of friends and people who tolerate each other (which is not always the same thing). There are no self-appointed experts who you must genuflect before when they utter their opinion, even if they have been around as long as me. Ignore opinions you don't like, or, unless they are mine (see above) disagree all you want. You may have 13 minutes of experience in backpacking, and be correct, while someone who has thru hiked the AT multiple times (and, unlike some people on other sites who remind you about it every day or two) like Jack Tarlin may be wrong (actually, Jack is wrong about almost everything, since he mostly posts about politics, and he's a Republican, which is amazing since he's a pretty nice guy, too, but when he says something about the Trail, he's not blowing smoke. Usually, anyhow). So don't be deferential to anyone (other than me, see above).

3) There are very few obsessive-compulsive neat freaks involved in this site. Forums are created for no particular good reason other than Troll, Dixi, or Rock (who spent huge time running much of this place while trying to keep the peace in beautiful downtown Baghdad and other such pleasure spots) felt like it. Thread drift is rampant, and flame wars (often started by irresponsible dolts who disagreed with me, see above) run on for days, weeks, years (don't believe me? look at the dog threads). No one really minds.

4) If you want information, it is findable but you may need to look for it. "Search" has good advanced features, but best is to create a thread and ask for help. It's provided. People here may disagree with each other, but they also help each other. Consider it a preview for what you will see, or have seen (yeah, that's not a preview, go to hell) on the Trail. Not once will you be let down if you ask for help about a topic or anything else.

5) If you want to debate/discuss/read about things other than the trail, go to the "sensitive" and/or Non Trail forums. Things get very vicious there, depending on the topics. Don't waste your time if you don't care about such things and/or if you have a thin skin.

6) Use the "new posts" button to stay current, if you don't subscribe. It will show you what is topical. It is very Zen doing that. After a while, it's all you need. Zen, that is.

7) Enjoy the Trail, as well as WhiteBlaze. WhiteBlaze is for people who are individualistic, cooperative, have opinions, a lot of skills (trail and otherwise), and dreams and hopes and fears. It's a crappy place for people who need to be told how to think and how to act and how to behave and how kiss someone else's thruhiking heinie. Here, HYOH is what matters, and you don't have to HDBH. It's like being on the trail itself. As such, it is a real trail place.

Start walking.

The Weasel
    Good luck.
    See above; still have to learn the navigation buttons. And I've been registered since 2009 and have now made my 4th post!

Quote Originally Posted by pschlacter01 View Post
    welcome for all
    pschlascter01

Quote Originally Posted by RBrauerei View Post
    See above; still have to learn the navigation buttons. And I've been registered since 2009 and have now made my 4th post!
    Welcome... That's about the same thing that happened to me!! Congrats on your 4th post!!

Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 43 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++