WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
    Flip flop, flip flopping' LASHin' 2000 miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Lemme introduce myself

Name's Bill. I'm a retired Navy combat-camera guy, working just enough now to buy some gear and put a little away for a long hike. I'm a ski patroller in the winter, and I backpack, sail, geocache and ride motorcycles the rest of the year. Been generally engaged in the outdoors all my life. Been thinking about a thru-hike for several years, and have recently gotten more serious about it. Been reading everything I can get my hands on, making lists, checking them thrice... My partner, Mary and I are planning for a 2012 Nobo hike starting mid-March. See you in the forums!
    L Dog
    AT 2000 Miler
    The Laughing Dog Blog
    https://lighterpack.com/r/38fgjt
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." - John Muir

Welcome to WB Chilly Willy

Blessed is the life that finds joy in the journey! ashleigh22's Avatar

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums, but I think this is a great website! Merry Christmas everyone! My fiance and I have yet to hike the AT, but hope to do so in 2012 if funds are sufficient. Bringing the pup, Aliyah. This seems like a great place to gain information and of course keep feeding the fire! The bug has been with me for awhile, and boy am I itchin'! Thanks for the forums! =)

Happy trails to you!

Images

Welcome and Merry Christmas to all the new members
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default new here also

Really have enjoyed this site from afar--hiked in and now am one on the inside.
    Hiked from Amicallola to Neels Gap back in October. Plan to go back in at Neels Gap and go to NC this Spring.

I added an update on the Black Creek Trail in MS through the Black Creek Wilderness Section. Info was hard to find..Not a lot of hiking down here near the Gulf Coast but the Black Creek section I hiked was great..I thought it needed to be added.

And Oh!...Merry Christmas!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyWilly View Post
    Name's Bill. I'm a retired Navy combat-camera guy, working just enough now to buy some gear and put a little away for a long hike. I'm a ski patroller in the winter, and I backpack, sail, geocache and ride motorcycles the rest of the year. Been generally engaged in the outdoors all my life. Been thinking about a thru-hike for several years, and have recently gotten more serious about it. Been reading everything I can get my hands on, making lists, checking them thrice... My partner, Mary and I are planning for a 2012 Nobo hike starting mid-March. See you in the forums!
    I'm not sure whether you're aware that you can buy synthetic underwear with a windproof front panel (in response to your forum name).

As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hi all. I've just started hiking within the last year, and did my first(very small) section,Raven rocks, in October. I plan to do more of course in the upcoming years. I just found the board in the last week. I'm looking for information and to keep up with what is happening on the AT.

Hi all. I'm a retired Firefighter trying to figure out what the heck to do with all my time now. I've always enjoyed hiking. Never done any long distance treks tho. Not much in the way of that in the Texas Panhandle.

This September I spent a month traveling the east coast states by motorcycle. Rode the length of the Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive. It was while camping along there that I had the opportunity to hike short pieces of the AT that ran close to the Parkway. That gave me the bug. I found you thru a Hammock Forum that I just joined.

The last week or so I've been perusing the forums here as a guest. I've been trying to educate myself on the gear recommended, etc. Found a recommendation for the awol AT Guide and ordered it. Figured I'm getting serious enough about a hike that should go ahead and join the forum.

Currently, I'm thinking about a late March 2012 effort. That will give me time to acquire gear, knowledge and work on my conditioning. I look forward to spending a lot of time here between now and then.

Images

My name is Ernie. I am retired Navy and teach Navy JROTC at a local high school. It is great to find a site with so much info. The wife and I started hiking/back packing this past summer and love it. We have done a couple of over nighters on the AT here in the TN/NC area. Hope to expand on those this coming year. Looking forward to getting involved here. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Talking Hi guys!

Hello everyone, Father Time from 2009 here. Finally done with my ongoing traveling that the AT started, for now. Settled down 15 minutes from the AT (James River crossing) here in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains. The AT has inspired me so much that my wife, Muscles, and I want to start a hostel down here and serve the trail the rest of our days! Hoping to open in the next few years! Congrats btw to all our friends who finished the trail! You are all badasses!

Images

Greetings, all. The name's Chris, and i've had a thru-hike on my bucket list for a while now. I've been dreaming about just going for a really long walk in the woods since rocks were soft actually. I'm finally starting to get serious about it now. Possibly a 2012 North bound(depends on how much dinero i can hoard for it though). I'm going to go and do a section hike this summer sometime in GA for my vacation, if only because Springer mountain is about 9 hours away from here and i've got some friends i can stay with in Atlanta while i'm up that way as well. I really wish i had found this forum much earlier. It seems some details of the hike are a bit fuzzy, and i've been picking up quite a bit just by reading Trail Journals and now here. Boy, i can't wait to "get away from it all". Cheers!

Hello!

I'm Steve. A buddy of mine and I are planning a thru-hike SoBo in 2012, tentatively so far (that's what we keep telling ourselves). We've both complete n00bs and are itching to get started! So far, I think we're on step 5 of 2346987657... we'll get there eventually. :P

Looking forward to talking to you all soon!

How's it going everyone? My name's Dan, and have been reading for quite some time now before joining. I'm planning a NOBO hike in 2012, and have been researching ever since I committed to the hike next year! Hope to see you all out there!

Default Just beginning to learn about the trail

Hi, my husband and I are taking the teenage kids to Maine this summer. My one son has fallen in love with the Appalachian Trail and we would like to incorporate a little of this into our vacation. Is this possible? We have no set destination as of yet. We will be driving from Cincinnati, Ohio. Are there any family friendly trails, sites etc. Please remember, we are newbies. Thanks for any input.

Default hi

would just like to say hi to every one.. new to the forum and looking forward to finding out lot more about the trial...... ged

hallo everyone..I'm Vinya (but Erin is also perfectly acceptable). hoping to hike the AT with my brother in 2012 after I finally graduate with my biology degree. Thus far, my only worry is student loan deferment :x Hoping to meet some folks here and get some insight on the trail (and gear). Nice to meet all of you ^_^

Default Hello All!

I've been lurking for several months, but I figured now would be a good time to introduce myself. I'm the aforementioned brother of Vinya, and am looking forward to taking on the AT in 2012. See you on the trail!

Hi there!

Through hiking the Long Trail, AT, and PCT have always been dreams of mine, and now that I have turned 40 I figure might as well get off my duff and get going.

I grew up in Southern California, hiking solo, also with friends and family in the Los Padres National Forest, San Rafael Wilderness. Condor country, got to see some of them before they were captured (for their benefit...)

Spent a lot of time hitchhiking around Northern California and Oregon, spent 5 months out in a tepee, chopping wood and carrying water. Did a memorable 5 day snow shoe winter camping trip in Oregon.

Longest trail time was 21 days in the Mazatzal wilderness area, Arizona.

In the last 8 years I have been in Texas. Do most of my hiking up in Arkansas, in the Buffalo River area around Ponca. Tim Ernst puts out an awesome trail guide for the area, have done many of the hikes over the years. Gorgeous country, very rural.

Now that my career has ended due to a lay off I am back to working hourly at a backpacking store here in Arlington Texas. Perfect set up for a Thru Hike!

Looking forward to reading through the forum and interested in learning as much as I can from others stories and experiences.

I am planning a thru hike of the Long Trail this year, 2011. I want to thank the Green Mountain Club for the awesome response to my e-mail, and to all of the nice people who have sent their advice and well wishes! 2012 looking at hiking the AT...

Matt

Hi all!. Im Dave and I got the itch after watching a documentary in early 2010. I have recently left a very unhappy job and have started school. I won't be finished with the semester until early may so thru hiking wont be possible this year. Furthermore I know so little about how to actually go about the whole thing. I want to be prepared but my spirit seems to be saying hurry up.
    I'm 33 and feel like I've done little with my life. I don't want to spend the rest of it preparing for something and never do it. I guess maybe it's my nature to make things difficult for myself but that seems to be how a function. Maybe the preparation for the hike will be a lesson in patience. I just have to break free very soon. I almost feel like my life depends on it. I may post this in another area as I wouldn't mind some feedback. Glad to be here!!

Page 23 of 50 FirstFirst ... 13 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 33 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++