WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Please help me with gear for 5 day trip

This is a list I put together for a hike I’m doing with a partner in a few weeks: from Springer up to Neel’s Gap, then back down. We’re planning to do the 60 miles in 5 days and will stay overnight at the Mountain Crossings hostel at Neel’s before turning around. I’ve backpacked before but am still iffy on supplies. Any imput on additions I need, stuff I can leave would be awesome. Thanks!

PS- we’re taking 5 days worth of food instead of taking 3 and restocking at Neel’s Gap because we’re planning a thru for next year and want to get a feel for how much food we need for the longer hikes in between towns.

-Backpack- Ariel 65
    -Sleeping pad- Thermarest prolite3
    -Sleeping bag- Northface 30 degree bag (synthetic unfortunately, have another down 15 degree bag for thru-hike and figured it would be too hot to take on this trip so I’ll deal with a heavier synthetic)
    -Pack cover- need to buy one, any suggestions for a cheaper one because the osprey brand is mucho expensive
    -3 liter bladder + 1 L nalgene
    -Tent- need to buy, will split weight with partner
    -2 garbage bags- for bearbagging, wet clothes
    -few small ziplock baggies
    -rope to bearbag
    -food, duh

-Underarmour shorts
    -Stetchy yoga pants- for camp or if shorts get wet
    -1 light long sleeve shirt
    -2 synthetic tshirts
    -3 pairs of socks
    -1 sportsbra
    -3 pairs underwear
    -Lightweight rain jacket- Precip
    -Bandana

-Trail runners- my hiking boots seem too warm and unnecessary for summer GA weather
    -Flip flops for camp
    -Trekking poles- REI ultralight

-Jetboil group
    -2 small canisters gigapeak fuel- cooking for two people for five days, do I need more? I can start with one and buy another at Mountain Crossings
    -Titanium cup/mug
    -Titanium bowl- nests with the cup
    -Plastic spork
    -Camp towel
    -Pretzl headlamp
    -cell phone
    -digital camera
    -plastic ziplock with money, id, credit card

-DEET
    -folding toothbrush, travel-sized toothpaste
    -small mirror (no frame, doesn’t weigh anything)
    -small pillbox with Motrin, Tylenol, Tums, Imodium, Claritin
    -small mini-bottle of Benadryl- have to take the entire thing, if I get hives I have to pop them like candy to keep the swelling down
    -small first aid kit: bandaids, moleskin, burn-cooling gel, tweezers, gloves, gauze
    -few emergenC packets
    -face lotion- like the benadryl, can’t go without
    -toilet paper and baby wipes
    -few face washing clothes- they’re dry and don’t weigh anything either, you add water and they soap up

My partner has the water purifier, obviously some of this stuff like the toothpaste is for both of us so a few things I can offload into his bag (he’s much bigger and can carry more than I can!)

you need a real bag for food/bear bagging, a garbage bag won't cut it.

Images

all of your clothes should dry fast. just hang them up at night. I have a clothes line that runs the length of my tarp.

also seems like you have way too many clothes for a 5 day trip. with the exception of a warm hat and another insulating layer. and get some real pants, not stretchy yoga whatevers.

Images

I dont see you listing any rain pants. Even in late spring a cold rain and wind can chill you to the bone if your get wet from the waist down. Even though you may be drenched in sweat from hiking with wet weather gear on - being able to protect you from the wind can still retain a lot of heat.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Each person should carry their own water purifier... Also look for used gear either here or on ebay and other sites... I like the tarp tents at tarptent.com Do not wear cotton.. get nylon or wool.. Also take ear plugs. Sometimes the campsites are crowded with loud snorers...

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

A few missing things:
    - stuff sacks (1 for food, 1 for clothes, 1 for your sleeping bag, 1 small one for random small stuff)
    - hand sanitizer
    - some kind of backup water purification in case you get separated from your partner (it happens)--a few iodine or aquamira tablets
    - maps/guidebook
    - duct tape (or athletic tape if you expect blisters)
    - some kind of insulating layer (like a light fleece or a heavier l/s poly t-shirt)

I'd only add that you shouldn't estimate your food needs based on 5 days of hiking. Your appetite will increase quite a bit after a few weeks on the trail. 5 days at low mileage won't equal what you'll be doing on a thru-hike.

Images

i suggest you use one of your garbage bags for a pack liner and skip the pack cover

you probably only need one can of fuel for 2 people/5 days...last trip i didn't even use 1 can in 16 days by myself...

He who hangs in trees
    Images

I think earplugs should be a requirement too. You can pack like a weeks worth for 1 oz of weight. I bet you could make fish bait out of the used ones too if you tossed it in your food before you cleaned up...just like those stinky baits you buy.

In all honesty I refuse to camp near others without earplugs...on the flip side I sleep so well with them in my hammock I never see the sun come up.

Default Gear

I would suggest that you go to the left of this site and read everything in "Articles". You will find all that you need to know there. One thing keep it as light as possible, your body will thank you later.

For a tent, get a Tarptent Cloudburst 2. Great product. www.tarptent.com $260 worth of pure american built goodness. Ahhhhh.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowledgeEngine View Post
    I think earplugs should be a requirement too. You can pack like a weeks worth for 1 oz of weight. I bet you could make fish bait out of the used ones too if you tossed it in your food before you cleaned up...just like those stinky baits you buy.

In all honesty I refuse to camp near others without earplugs...on the flip side I sleep so well with them in my hammock I never see the sun come up.
    The little foam ones are disposable but you can use them at least a week, maybe even longer at home when your ears are clean. I would only take 2 pairs for a week hike, to have a back-up in case I lost one.

Images

Get rid of the nalgene, replace it with a gatoraid bottle, they are much lighter. One can of fuel should be plenty, you can get at least 15 boils out of one canister. You can save some weight by using aquamira. Used it only my 07 thru hike and only had a problem 2 times, had to filter through a bandana.
    Pootz 07

Quote Originally Posted by hikingPA View Post
    i suggest you use one of your garbage bags for a pack liner and skip the pack cover
    This depends on if you like hauling an extra 5 lbs of water logged pack cloth or not. The pack cover does much more than keep your pack dry, it is a multi-use item that will save you weight when it does rain, serves as a water reservoir, gear loft, general covering device in camp...etc. Personally, I use both. Worth the weight.

use a pack cover as a gear loft...now that's smart. thanks for the suggestions- added long sleeve fleece, earplugs, tape, took out extra nalgene, some clothes, extra fuel- should be good to go

++ New Posts ++