WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Living off the Land

Ive always thought this to be a realy interesting topic. The idea of surviving solely off the land around you (this does not include supermarkets and mcdonalds despite the fact there built on land, haha) Im talking more along the lines of berries and mushrooms(although you need to be careful with these) and things such as those. We all know its unrealistic to live like this the whole trail, but I thought it would be pretty cool to every now and then munch of some of natures goodies. If you have any nuggets of knowledge on the subject Im all ears!

THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE KILLING ANIMALS! pretend im a vegetarian

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Ive always thought this to be a realy interesting topic. The idea of surviving solely off the land around you (this does not include supermarkets and mcdonalds despite the fact there built on land, haha) Im talking more along the lines of berries and mushrooms(although you need to be careful with these) and things such as those. We all know its unrealistic to live like this the whole trail, but I thought it would be pretty cool to every now and then munch of some of natures goodies. If you have any nuggets of knowledge on the subject Im all ears!

THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE KILLING ANIMALS! pretend im a vegetarian
    If you're going to pick wild mushrooms and eat them, you'd doggone well better know what you're eating before you put it in your mouth. The wrong mushroom will kill you dead as a doornail. Period. I learned them years ago in SERE school when I was in service, but wouldn't trust what little I do remember about them now to eat one.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I know all about the severity of wrongful mushroom consumption, hence why after I listed mushrooms I stated "Although you have to be careful with these)

But I do know there is a type of pine needle that supposedly makes a good tea, which I would looooove to try. Anybody know what im talking about?

Default eating off the land

Well you won't be be eating off the land along the AT. Too many people. And what the hikers haven't scavanged, bears and dear probably have!

David

I have this book. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a scardy cat to try much of it.

http://www.learningherbs.com/pine_needle_tea.html

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

But I do know there is a type of pine needle that supposedly makes a good tea, which I would looooove to try. Anybody know what im talking about?
    Hemlock is one. The tree, not the herb. Ask Socrates about the herb.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Images

I know all about the severity of wrongful mushroom consumption, hence why after I listed mushrooms I stated "Although you have to be careful with these)
    Well, 'scuse the **** outta me.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

The only way to survive off the land is to fish and hunt. You can't get enough calories from pine needle tea, berries and shrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    I have this book. Unfortunately, I'm too much of a scardy cat to try much of it.

http://www.learningherbs.com/pine_needle_tea.html

This book seems awesome, I think I might just have to invest
    Thanks a bunch!

Anybody know of any stories of other people on the trail eating off the land?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertMTB View Post
    The only way to survive off the land is to fish and hunt. You can't get enough calories from pine needle tea, berries and shrooms.
    I know its unrealistic to completely live off the trail I said that in my original post. Im just looking for some names of plants or berries or whatever can be eaten on the trail, I just thought it would be cool to try some of them while im out there, thats all.

Images

Wood sorrel is tasty... it was all over the place in Maine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_wood_sorrel

Images

Here's a series of short lessons from a wild edible plant expert.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EatTheWeeds
    Good luck.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Images

I know its unrealistic to completely live off the trail I said that in my original post. Im just looking for some names of plants or berries or whatever can be eaten on the trail, I just thought it would be cool to try some of them while im out there, thats all.
    Then ask for the names of the plants instead of giving people **** about their suggestions.

Images

Note on wood sorrel - while tasty, it's slightly toxic. So don't make a meal of it...

I'm with ya man. That would be cool.

Images

You might enjoy this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Last-American-...4750638&sr=8-1

He hiked the AT while foraging for food.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    Well you won't be be eating off the land along the AT. Too many people. And what the hikers haven't scavanged, bears and dear probably have!

David
    There's plenty of wild edibles along the trail. What most people call weeds are widely available not only next to the trail but back into the woods all along the AT. There's really two kinds of edibles, those in the forest and those in disturbed or old cultivated places, the latter I'd call "weeds" such as lambs-quarters(very good eating), dandelion, sheep and wood sorrel, chicory, etc.

The "in woods" variety are many and include violets(4 or 5 different kind, birds foot violet, etc), chickweed(one of my favorite--two kinds also), solomon's seal(tuber and shoots--not so sure about the false solomon's seal), Indian cucumber root(very tasty), rock tripe(black or green fungus that grows on rocks--soak in cold water for 2 hours/drain and cook), wild mustard(those thousands of yellow flowers you see in farm fields), ramps(garlic family), clover(rough, must be cooked or chewed and spat out), yellow dock(bitter so cook), plaintain, and burdock root(big and hard to remove, good to cook).

There's many plants that are not edible such as bloodroot and St Johns Wort, the first yellow flower you see in the spring(other than dandelion). They say Jack in the Pulpit corm(root)is edible but only when dried and I tried it once(thought it was dried), and the thing stung my tongue like a hornet. Don't do it.

Then there's Mayapples though I hardly ever find the fruit. Squirrels get it first. And of course black walnuts and the berries, blueberries and serviceberries, etc. Five leafed cinquefoil is good and strawberry leaves are edible(most people use them for tea). Also tea from the blackberry bush leaves.

And then there's the wide variety of square-stemmed mints including the strong and bitter horsemint, the great tasting anise-flavored hyssops, the ground ivy's and all the rest. A bunch of mints. Oh yeah, and the red one that grows by springheads. ???? BEE BALM! And if you're really lucky you'll find a clump of wintergreen with the little red berries. I also call them barberry, have little evergreen leaves. Very tasty.

Oh, and I forgot my favorite of all time: NETTLES! The cursed stinging nettle also makes a great pot herb and a great tea(add a little honey). But the leaves and the whole plant makes an excellent meal, just wear gloves when gathering. One of the best pot herbs like cooked collards or kale is the humble weed called Lambs Quarters. It doesn't really grow in the back woods, but usually around disturbed old gardens and along roads.

WOW tipi walter. That is.....exactly what I was looking for! Thanks so much for all that information, im printing your post out now. Its time for some research!

I have gorged on blackberries on roadsides before in June. Sweet Birch twigs make for a good minty toothbrush. Have tried acorns, but they are a little to bitter for my tastes. Dandelion makes an OK salad, if you can "spice it up" a little.
    Trout can be had in some places fairly easy. Also try frog legs deep fried.
    Moses

Wood Sorrel, like anything containing oxalic acid, is toxic in very high doses. Other things with oxalic acid? spinach, nuts, chocolate!

Like with everything, be careful. Wood Sorrel is very tasty though and has a nice citrus zing to it.

All types of pine are edible. They also have the benefit of stabilizing your blood sugar and staving off headaches.

Garlic mustard can be a very tasty spice and pretty much grows everywhere.

Burdock leaves are pretty good in soups or with salad. The are pretty hard to miss. They are the plants that lie low to the ground with HUGE leaves. The root is good too, though it grows very deep into the ground. This is also the plant with the sticky burrs on it, but at a different succession. (one is a first year and one is a mature burdock)

Dandelions are edible and full of vitamin C.

Of course, there is much much much more out there that is edible, and with herbalism being a hobby of mine, I do supplement my meals with wild edibles. But always be 100% sure of the plant before you eat it!
    Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. ~Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++