WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

:banana First time AT hiker looking for simple advice

Hi, this is my first post and visit to this forum. I spent a month hiking last summer in the NC/TN region. Did a little of the AT up to the max patch area if any of you are familiar with it and I am looking to get back into hiking this summer.

I need some suggestions for a pack to buy (I pack very light, essentials only) and sleep under a tarp so if that makes any difference in suggestions keep it in mind.

I am also looking for a good place to start. I plan on leaving around june 20th and would like to insert somewhere that I wouldnt be alone for more than 4 or 5 days. (sorry if this sounds newbish).

Any other tips for guides to get or anything else would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rdm3000 View Post
    I plan on leaving around june 20th and would like to insert somewhere that I wouldnt be alone for more than 4 or 5 days
    You would be hard pressed to find a section of the A.T. to hike on at that time of the year where you would be alone for more than 4 or 5 hours. The A.T. is the interstate of hiking trails.

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Default alone for 4 or 5 days at a time on the A.T....

Just don't go SOBO! That first 30 days can be a real bummer if you need companionship!

Spanky
    SOBO 2008 ME-GA
    SOBO 2003 NJ-PA
    SOBO 2002 ME-PA

...or, somewhere in between!

Awesome, I had no idea. Last year I only saw one other hiker on what I found out to be naked hiking day. (which was very strange) But then again I stayed off pretty much every main trail besides the one to max patch.

First, if you need a pack, try the Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian. It says it is 3800 cu in but it expands up to 4200 cu in. Super comftorble. If you ant a tarp, try Outdoor Research, they do a nice one that uses trekking poles for poles. And, a lot of hikers start from Demascus. Hope this is helpful.
    "People are like steamboats, they toot loudest when they are in a fog" - Mark Twain

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

A couple of years ago, I started a long NOBO section on June 10th at Waynesboro, VA. If you're starting around that same time, that's a great starting place--you'll be in the midst of many NOBO thru-hikers and Shenandoah is an easy section of trail for you to get into trail shape.

The only downside is that half of your first month on the trail is going to be in PA. But once you get past that awfulness, it gets way, way better.

Hi, this is my first post and visit to this forum. I spent a month hiking last summer in the NC/TN region. Did a little of the AT up to the max patch area if any of you are familiar with it and I am looking to get back into hiking this summer.

I need some suggestions for a pack to buy (I pack very light, essentials only) and sleep under a tarp so if that makes any difference in suggestions keep it in mind.

I am also looking for a good place to start. I plan on leaving around june 20th and would like to insert somewhere that I wouldnt be alone for more than 4 or 5 days. (sorry if this sounds newbish).

Any other tips for guides to get or anything else would be awesome as well.

Thanks!
    You might look at the Golite Jam. I ordered it along with a Quest but it could fit my stuff ( I'm sure I pack more than you.) But my friend has a Jam are really likes it. I kept the Quest and I've been very happy with it.

As to starting places...what about Springer and go NOBO. We hike the section between Rock Gap and Wesser last summer , short and sweet. If you want longer you could start at Standing Indian.

For a pack, the Granite Gear ultralight series looks good, or go lite, i use an Osprey Atmos which is a very good pack, not too heavy, sleeping under a tarp does not really effect the type of pack, you just need to keep it dry, a good place to hike is either around Damascus, the Roan highlands, or from Neels Gap to Dicks Creek Gap in Ga

Images

The cheapest way to go lite, and still have quality stuff is to make it yourself. I have made tarps, packs, quilts, and a few clothing items over the past few years.

http://www.ray-way.com/php/order-form.php

I have two big packs that never get used anymore. They weigh 5.6 and 6.2 pounds respectively.
    I have a GoLite Jam 30 that is my thru pack now. It is too full after resupplies and in cold weather but it works for me. I have to hang my tent off it with elastic cords. It has very little suspension or support so I use my big Thermarest as the pad folded, that takes half the pack. It weighs just over a pound empty. I strongly suggest you try to borrow and try out different packs. What works for you no one else can really say.

++ New Posts ++