WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ever heard of elitotex???

so im at the texas state parks and wildlife expo in austin last weekend and i run up on this fellah selling shirts and sleeping bags made of "eliotex". he claims it has incredible insulation capabilities. i took his card and looked it up. looks like postal packing material to me but who knows? does anyone have any clue about this stuff? i dont work for them or anything...didnt even buy anything from them. but if its got potential......

http://idigear.com/eliotex.html

the impression I get from backpacking.net is that its probably some sort of a closed cell foam and as a result its questionable in terms of how well it will pack

i saw the stuff and its thin as could be. the bags they had there were thin and fairly light. to me it looked like the stuff they might use to wrap a framed painting at garden ridge. does that help at all? i did a search at backpacking.net and came up empty.

Default idigear

I started out my thru-hike last year using the idi-gear sleeping bag. Yes, it's waterproof, yes, it's rated at 20*...BUT...the hood is big enough for an elephant; and within an hour, I was sleeping in my own sweat because there is no such thing as waterproof/breathable. It's either waterproof...very effective at keeping water out, but just as effective as keeping water in...or it's breathable, thereby allowing moisture created from your own body heat to escape the bag. That first night, I got so cold. Everything I had on was damp in the morning. I ditched the bag at Neels Gap and got a Western Mountaineering down bag, which was lighter and packed better anyhow.

IDI looks like a good deal because of the price, but in the long run, it just didn't do the trick for me.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny quest
    i did a search at backpacking.net and came up empty.
    odd - I did the same and came up with 8-10 hits - this was searching in the forums section - is it possible you typoed the name eliotex? or maybe you didn't change the default date range - I used "newer than 2 years"?

thanks geckobunny, that pretty much is all i need to know. figured there had to be something wrong with it....if i discovered it.

no hogg, i didnt try the forums. i used the search on the homepage. i will try the forums

++ New Posts ++