WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: how many pounds of clothing do you take on a 3 day 2 night cool weather hike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default how much does your packed clothing weigh?

if you were gonna backpack for 3 days and 2 nights during cool but not cold weather, cool weather such as mid-spring or fall around the halfway point of the AT.50-60 degrees day average with maybe a low temp at night at 40, how many pounds of clothing do you pack. just basics clothes
    socks,undergarments, pants, shirts, t-shirts, hat, longjohns rain gear and even your nonhiking camp shoes. exclude any heavy coat and anything you are wearing, just whats in the pack.

Images

I am very warm/hot blooded. I need little insulation while active, and my sleeping bag is warm enough for down to about 20 deg while I'm sleeping. So I voted for 5 lbs or less, and actually that includes ALL my hiking clothes (but not my boots) not just my in the pack clothes.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

It's pretty tough to bring much more than 5 pounds of clothes for cool-weather hiking/camping unless you opt for a heavier parka and heavy camp shoes. For me, the heaviest items are my Frogg Toggs (15 oz), Polartec Powerstretch Sweater (12 oz), and my long underwear bottoms (7 oz). I'm not sure I'd bother to bring my ComfortClogs (11 oz) on a 2 night trip, but even if I did I'd be just at 5 pounds.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

There are so many easy light ways to crack this nut that I think you highballed the weights. You should have started at about 1/2 pound for the weight and gone up in 1/2 pound incriments.

lets see...

rain mittens - 1.2 ounces
    rain jacket - 7.9 ounces
    rain pants - 5.3 ounces
    GoreTex Socks - 3.5 ounces
    Total = 17.9
    Staying dry is half the battle to staying warm. Your rain clothes are an extra layer you always carry anyway.

Then the insulation:
    extra sock liners - 1.1 ounces
    glove liners - 0.9 ounces
    knit hat - 2.1 ounces
    fleece top - 9.4
    fleece bottom - 8.2
    Total = 21.7
    This works under the rain gear in cool weather like you are describing. But depending on the situation I may not even bring this much since most of the day I will not need insulation and at night the sleeping bag does most of the work.

So total weight for this stuff is 39.6 ounces, or 2.5 pounds. I would probably carry an extra pair of socks, underwear, and a t-shirt for less than 1/2 pound if I was going to be out in wet conditions.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

What I'm carrying:

MEC midweight thermal top - 8.3 oz.
    MEC midweight thermal tights - 6.2 oz.
    MEC Northern Lite II primaloft pullover - 13.3 oz.
    Wigwam hat - 2 oz.
    Fox River liner gloves - 1 oz.
    Rain Shield jacket - 8 oz.

This adds up to 38.8 oz, or about 2.25 lbs.

In coolish weather (highs in the upper 40s-low 50s) I'd be wearing:

MEC River pants - 9.1 oz.
    MEC Warmwear shirt - 8 oz.
    Fox River running socks - 2.3 oz.
    Andiamo Skinz - 2.9 oz.
    Bandanna - 1 oz
    Kmart watch - 1.5 oz.

If it was a little warmer, I'd change the Warmwear shirt for a MEC Rapidi-T shirt weighing 5 oz. Trail runners always on the feet in such weather. If I thought I was going to be dumped on a lot, I would generally add my Sunday Afternoons Adventure hat for another 2.9 oz. It isn't waterproof by any stretch of the imagination, but it does have a big brim to keep the rain off my face. The Northern Lite pullover may get replaced with a WM vest, but I'm having troubled stomaching the idea of ponying up $150 for a damn vest.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default A.T.clothes for 3 days...

Quote Originally Posted by cabalot
    if you were gonna backpack for 3 days and 2 nights during cool but not cold weather, cool weather such as mid-spring or fall around the halfway point of the AT.50-60 degrees day average with maybe a low temp at night at 40, how many pounds of clothing do you pack. just basics clothes
    socks,undergarments, pants, shirts, t-shirts, hat, longjohns rain gear and even your nonhiking camp shoes. exclude any heavy coat and anything you are wearing, just whats in the pack.

first, i cant believe there's a 15lbs or more selection (what are you carrying Samsonite luggage in case a formal-wear event breaks out on the trail?????????????????)

i'm a rather "warm-natured" guy...love hiking in 50-60 degree weather...it suits me...throw in a light mist...& its PERFECT for me...hehehehehe

i wear capilene shirt, a sombrero hat, "convertible", rain-resistant pants, capilene briefs, & my "in-my-pack-spares" are: long sleeve capilene shirt & nylon swim trunks, & 1 pair of smart-wool sox.

i dont think i've ever carried more than 2 or 3 lbs of hiking clothes on a 2 week hike. ( i chose 5 lbs or less)

see ya'll UP the trail!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Like the rock said, a few things to stay warm and to change into to dry out and thats it. My kilt lightens the load a bit by itself then I just bring some long skivies to warm up with and or get dry with at night

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Cool Clothing

If it's just in the 40's maybe, down to 32, and I'm only out for 3 days. I only carry what I'm wearing, maybe an extra pr socks, underware. Got a Marmot Precip (12 oz), don't take (rain) pants. Fleece jacket (R2)...10oz. Fleece pants for camp...12oz. Take a Patagonia Capilene LW crew (long sleave)...6oz. 2 pr. LW shorts w/liners...8oz. Hat, gloves, liners, ear fleece...10oz. That's about it with the carry bag....weigh less than 5lbs!
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Images

i should have done like rock said. i weighed what i bring for 3 days of car camping. i am becoming a backpacker. i weighed 2 pairs of army bdu pants. 4 pair cotton socks, 3 t-shirts, 4 underpants, 1 sweatpant, fleece sweater and fleece hat. i like to change into clean clothes after i set up camp and get cleaned up and make dinner. i sit around and drink beer so i am not just eating then jumping into my sleeping bag.(buying a marmot sawtooth 15+ and SD clip flashlight 2 CD 2003, the only difference between the 2004 is price as far as i know) i need to buy some synthetic clothes.

Images

i just weighed 1 pair of small army issue bdu pants at 1# 9 oz
    a small pair of army issue summer bdu pants was 1# 6.7 oz
    1 pair cotton socks 2.3 oz
    1 pair cotton briefs 1.8 oz
    1 cotton KISS concert t-shirt 7.6 oz

i am going synthetic shopping at campmore now.

Images

Maybe its just me and im weird but i carry the same amount clothing backpacking if i am going backpacking for 3 days to 5 months.

3 pairs of socks (1 pair is fleece for sleeping in, my toes get cold)
    2 sock liners
    1 pair bdu pants
    1 pair shorts
    1 pair sandles
    1 pair boots
    2 tee shirts
    1 turle neck
    1 pair of fleecce pants for wearing under other pants when cold
    1 full rim hat
    1 Emergancy Rappeling belt (look like normal belt but can be used in place of climbing harness)

granted if im going backpacking in the winter this changes of course
    A-Town

"All that is gold does not glitter,
    Not all those who wander are lost;
    The old that is strong does not wither,
    Deep roots are not reached by the frost. "
    -- JRR Tolkien

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Thumbs up

Yea......That sounds pretty good azchipka. If it works for you, so be it. I would double up on the inner shirts though. 2 shirts (case one gets wet), 2 lower (skin gear, I call it) pants. I wear polypro stretch pants, wick well. I would drop the BDU's unless I was bushwackin'. The 'skin gear' is what you want dry, or another set so as to sleep in. The rest looked good, 'cept what about the rain? Happy Hiking.....KZ@

p.s. I do the same thing, my pack always has the same stuff in it (3 season) for 3 days or 3 months. If I go 4 season, I add a warmer jacket and a couple heavier 'skin gears'. Also, a warmer sleeping bag. That's about the only diff.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Default Thru hikers carrying 15+lbs of clothes??? i don't think so

I once met a hiker in the wilderness in Maine who was carrying 85 lb pack. Upon my (and a few other thru-hikers) expressing amazement, he said he lightened his load by 20 lbs from last years hike! When i asked him what he packed differently, he said: i left out the gallon of milk and 2 of my 5 books. Maybe he carried 15 lbs of clothes but it's hard to imagine a thru-hiker packing that much. I didn't see the "i don't change my clothes catagory" when i voted but i'm one of those: "every ounce really counts" hikers and only carry a fleece top as extra weight besides my raingear (frogg toggs) and one pair of fleece socks for sleeping at night. (always keep one pair as dry as possible) fh

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Default my clothing

Keep in mind, I backpack mainly in Colorado. "Summer" in the mountains is a bit different than say summer in Maryland on the AT. As always, YMMV:

Marmot DriClime Windshirt 12.000 oz
    Golite Wisp 2.500 oz
    Montbell UL Windpants 2.400 oz
    Coolmax Running Socks 1.750 oz
    Lt. Wt. Polypro bottoms 5.125 oz
    Lt. Wt. Polypro Long Sleeve Top 4.500 oz
    Fleece Socks 1.750 oz
    Exp. Wt. Polypro Balaclava 1.750 oz
    Smart Wool Liner Gloves 1.625 oz
    SilNylon Mittens .625 oz
    Fleece Beanie 1.125 oz
    Garbage Bag .375 oz
    SilNylon Stuff Sack .750 oz
    Total 36.275 oz

For clothing on me:

Long sleeve polyester shirt
    Boonie Hat
    Bandanna
    Coolmax running socks
    Nylon shorts
    Last edited by Mags; 04-12-2005 at 11:04. Reason: added stuff I wear, too

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Just packed my clothes for the 4 day hike from Kincora to Damascus next month. Looks like just a tad over 2.5 lbs.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Cotton Cotton Cotton Cotton

Why wear or carry Cotton ?
    Bandanas I can understand..there are about as many uses for bandanas as there are for duct tape.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind

Why wear or carry Cotton ?
    It's cheap, natural and comfortable. I just came in from taking a couple of photos on a blustery and chilly spring day in midcoast maine, saw your query, and looked down at myself. Everything I have on, except my boots and a light pair of Thurlo socks is made of cotton.
    Last edited by weary; 04-12-2005 at 14:39.

I really like answering weight questions but this poll did not have a catagory for my favorite answer- Dont know. Couldn't be much: a cotton t-shirt, nylon shorts, windbreaker/pants, cotton socks, long john top, poncho maybe. Overall weight is only a factor, in my mind at least, if your pack weighs to much and that is different for everyone for lots of reasons. Enjoy your hike!

Journal Entries
    Images

Default hikin' clothing...

COTTON IS EVIL!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

>>Cotton is evil

Naah..just depends what you are doing.

Cotton shorts and t's were standard thru-hiking gear for a loooong time. As long as you have some synthetics or wool to change into when the weather gets bad, no worries.

Having said that, a synthentic T costs $6 from Target on sale. Why not use one for that price?

I hike in long sleeve shirts for sun protection above tree line and desert condtions. Use a polyester dress shirt (wtih small amount of cotton) for $4.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++