WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    like a herd of turtles

Default WNC Mountain Lion

I'm becoming more and more certain that I have one (or more) Mountain Lions that frequent my property just off the AT.
    I've been seeing tracks that I couldn't quite place. And one night I heard some screams that really gave me chills. But I had attributed these things to coyotes and dogs and maybe even bobcats.

But I've been reading up on scat and sounds and such.

And I'm really beginning to think that I've got a mountain lion or two.
    The night of the screaming . . . it was coming from two different spots.

And the scat has been more and more noticeable the last few times I've been up there.

I should have taken pictures today while I was looking at it, but . . . it looks very much like canine poo . . .except it's segmented and FULL of hair.

Anyone else know of documented mountain lion sightings in and around Wolf Laurel??

I've got a motion-sensitive digital camera that I'm planning to set up the next time. And I'll be getting some pictures of the poop and tracks.

Images

There's been a couple threads fairly recently about research being conducted in the Apps.

Saying that you've seen one may be along the lines of claiming to see Bigfoot - to some anyway.

I was ever skeptic..I'd heard plenty of tales and a friend claimed to have lost livestock to a cougar..she isn't one to tell stories and I believe her.
    I never saw one...in fact I'd pretty much written the stories off..until one crossed the road in front of my truck. I know what I saw. I've lived out west. There is no animal that size with a long tail. (PERIOD)
    --Now, how'd it get there ? was it a pet some knucklehead released and I was fortunate enough to see it or is there a hush-hush reintroduction effort underway via private or gov. funds? - I don't know.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

like a herd of turtles

Yeah, I've read that they're thought to only live in Florida in this region.
    And I'll be the first to admit that I'm as far from an expert on this stuff as you can get.

Whatever is leaving these tracks and scat is frequenting a trail near my workshop. There are several piles of poo of varying age. And they're not covered with leaves or loose dirt or anything the way I've read bobcats do.

Does anyone have some WNC contacts for someone who might be able to confirm just from tracks and scat?

As I said, I'm going to photograph what is up there. And I'm going to try to set up my camera to capture whatever it is.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well the college there, WNC, that is, their mascot is the Catamount!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldawg View Post
    Well the college there, WNC, that is, their mascot is the Catamount!!
    You mean WCU...
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    You mean WCU...
    Yeppers, you knew what I meant!!

2010 complete

I believe one was spotted at South Mt State Park, south of Morganton, NC memorial day.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritWind View Post
    --Now, how'd it get there ? was it a pet some knucklehead released and I was fortunate enough to see it or is there a hush-hush reintroduction effort underway via private or gov. funds? - I don't know.
    Not sure but maybe its doing a SoBo Hike and got here the same way. It walked. I know there are a few good pics in the WB gallery of a lion up in western NY. I have no doubt that they are around either by their own hand or someone else's. I am just glad to know that I get to be out there where I am not the top of the food chain. It helps keep one in check as to our place in things. I too lived out west and had an opportunity to see one up close it is something that I will always cherish.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I know there are a few good pics in the WB gallery of a lion up in western NY.
    Those were supposedly from Hornell, NY - but proved to be fake.

RAW, please share with us what you discover.

Images

I wasn't aware of that. Where they taken somewhere else? They were cool shots where ever they were taken.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I wasn't aware of that. Where they taken somewhere else? They were cool shots where ever they were taken.
    Check this out - http://www.planetjh.com/opinion/A_100596.aspx

I hike, therefore I stink.
    Images

I saw a dead one on I-95 at just south of the Virginia border in 1999.
    If you don't have something nice to say,
    Be witty in your cruelty.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    Ah its a Wyoming Kitty. I wonder if it knows Footslogger? Its a small state after all.

like a herd of turtles

I walked down one of the trails where I usually see the most tracks and scat.
    But there wasn't much new activity . . . and with the heavy rain last night . . . no tracks.

Even so, I did get some poo pictures.

Oldest

Newer

Newest

Now, I'm not an expert . . . so some of these might not even be from the same animal. For example, I saw another pile that was much smaller in diameter . . . but otherwise appeared similar (segmented and hairy). My brain tells me the smaller one is a bobcat or something. And the larger one is the potential mountain lion.

And unfortunately, my motion-triggered camera's batteries died!!
    No images. Damnit.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Some scat
    Whiteblaze is the best place to read about interesting s**t.

I mean it. I can always find the straight poop here, even in the off-season when posts are dropping.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Keep in mind while you are looking to find cat trace, Mr or Ms cat knows exactly where you are, and wonders how you'd taste for dinner. Be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    Keep in mind while you are looking to find cat trace, Mr or Ms cat knows exactly where you are, and wonders how you'd taste for dinner. Be careful out there.
    All of that scat is old. And I don't think anyone has to worry about being eaten by Mountain Lions in WNC. There really isn't a single shred of evidence that a viable population exists there. I suppose there may be an individual cat here & there though.

Images

About 20 or so years ago I understand that panthers were introduced into GSMNP to try and control the deer and boar population. Didn't help with boar so wolves were introduced also.

Don't remember the details since I've slept several times since then, but if that was the case I would expect that several of the cats and wolves would have migrated out of the park, unless those collars and that invisible fence is working especially well.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++