WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I'm pretty sure I saw a mountain lion in the Smokies on Cold Spring Gap trail about 3 miles from the intersection of Hazel Creek Trail. It was about 30 years ago, just getting light enough to see clearly and I was on my way to a water source from a stealth camp when I spotted a big cat on the next rise - I know bob cats and I know panthers - this was way too big to be either one - and way too light in color to be a skinny bear (and it had a long tail and cat head and ears). It turned around, looked at me and took off up a hill into the woods. It moved like a cat.

Images

Evidently you're not the only one that has seen Mtn. Lions in the GSMNP.

http://www.discoverlife.org/nh/tx/Ve...Puma/concolor/

Culbertson (1977) examined the status and history of this species in the park. Twelve sightings were reported for the years 1908-1965 and 31 sightings for the years 1966-1976. Culbertson stated: "The number of lion sightings through the years suggest that the mountain lion may never have actually been extinct in the Great Smoky Mountains area. The lion may have been able to maintain itself in small numbers in the more inaccessible mountainous regions in or around the park. The present lion population could be derived in part from this small reservoir... It is believed that there were three to six mountain lions living in the park in 1975, and other lions were reported to the southeast and northeast of the park as well. Lions were seen most frequently near areas of high deer density."
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    All of that scat is old. And I don't think anyone has to worry about being eaten by Mountain Lions in WNC. There really isn't a single shred of evidence that a viable population exists there. I suppose there may be an individual cat here & there though.
    So is that a yes, a no, or a maybe? And in your experience how many cats are required to eat something?

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    And in your experience how many cats are required to eat something?
    Well, I suppose one, but the next cat to eat someone in the east, will be the first in an awfully long time to do so. Cat attacks are very rare in the US. Rarer than shark attacks. Much rarer than lightening strikes. They are essentially non-existent in the east in modern times. While I wouldn't want to be the first here in the east, I wouldn't devote a drop of energy to worrying about it. I'll just remain hopeful that one day I'll catch a fleeting glimpse. Maybe I'll see one on the JMT in a few weeks. I sure hope so. But I sincerely doubt I will.

I'll add that some folks who live in lion country live their whole lives without ever seeing one.

If you want to see one, ride a bike, it seems to kick-in their predatory instints really well.

Images

Given the facts that lions prefer deer as food and deer are not hunted in the GSMNP and have no other predators in the park, it is unlikely that a lion living in the GSMNP would attack a human as there are ample 'forest rats' for food.

Images

Default ...simple..

take and pick up the scat, no bare hands here, and put into ziploc bag or some form of plastic container, take to local University science lab and they will analize it...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Images

I Personaly saw a Florida panther in Lakeland FL about 10 yrs ago An a good friend of mine works for the FFWGC. I called him an we tract it for about 3 miles into a swamp with the recent development back then it was out of its Habitat.. It was a 160lbs.. Just a remarkable site to see a Black Couger..

All of that scat is old. And I don't think anyone has to worry about being eaten by Mountain Lions in WNC. There really isn't a single shred of evidence that a viable population exists there. I suppose there may be an individual cat here & there though.
    Those skat pictures are of old skat. But it is definitely cat skat. And it only takes 3 days without rain for it to go gray. I am not an expert i do know some things tho, like the mountain lion population in the eastern mountains has been documented on the rise since 1996. 2 reports were initially posted i believe in NH or VT i forget about a pair of mountain lions that traveled together. Since then, obviously there has been

Images

House cats bury their skat. Do mountain lions?
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    take and pick up the scat, no bare hands here, and put into ziploc bag or some form of plastic container, take to local University science lab and they will analize it...
    Post of the day. Look for hair in the surrounding area. (Not in the poo.)

like a herd of turtles

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    House cats bury their skat. Do mountain lions?
    What I've read on the internet (so it must be true) is that bobcats will usually bury or hide their scat. But mountain lions will leave it out in the open, usually in the middle of a trail or clearing.

And that is one of the many reasons I suspect mountain lion in this case.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RAW View Post
    What I've read on the internet (so it must be true) is that bobcats will usually bury or hide their scat. But mountain lions will leave it out in the open, usually in the middle of a trail or clearing.

And that is one of the many reasons I suspect mountain lion in this case.
    Will the local DNR run a check on it to see if it is from a mountain lion?
    It seems like they would be interested.

like a herd of turtles

I've sent an email to see who I should contact.

Default Mountain Lion

Raw,,You say the screaming is at night? and there were two?
    MT Lion(s) are solitary creatures, there won't be two together this time of year( non mating season) and they don't hunt after dark (denned up),maybe you need batteries for trail cam, because the un-buried scat does pose a question, but the truth is yes we do have cougars here in our mountains and yes they are spotted on occasion. NCDWC says it is possible, but after roaming these mountains for forty-plus years,i quit trying to convince others I know what I know what I see,, I have a couple 35#-plus bobcats right here in my woodlot,and they have BIG feet also.
    Get pics then NOBODY can dispute your suspicions.

Moses

Porcupines "scream" during mating season. I've heard them on the Long Trail in Vermont.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

like a herd of turtles

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Raw,,You say the screaming is at night? and there were two?

The screaming incident was late one night, probably 11pm or so.
    And we thought we heard the screams coming from two different ridges, where the AT comes near my property. Hard to say for sure though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Porcupines "scream" during mating season. I've heard them on the Long Trail in Vermont.
    Think about it, it's gotta be painful.

How can there be an INDIVIDUAL cat. It takes two to make one, right?
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Images

RAW, did the screams sound like a woman being killed? If so, you heard bobcats. Those things are scary to listen to in the woods.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++