WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default dogs in shelters

"a responsible, courteous dog owner would never think of letting their dog sleep in a shelter". i got banned from Trailplace for saying that by the over-zealous moderator, 7Sisters. same old Trailplace he says that is a broad, general statement. i say it's a no brainer. dogs DO NOT belong in shelters. period. so yes or no. dogs in shelters?

Wolf, I'm not as hard-line as you on this subject; I've had both good and bad experiences with dogs in shelters - I think it's situational.

But I'm more concerned that TrailPlace banned you for asserting as you did on the grounds it's a "broad, general statement." Rather specious rationale if you ask me. Are you sure your post there didn't say ******?

I do not like dogs near where I sleep or where I eat....that being said I guess that makes me a no.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Wolf, I'm not as hard-line as you on this subject; I've had both good and bad experiences with dogs in shelters - I think it's situational.

But I'm more concerned that TrailPlace banned you for asserting as you did on the grounds it's a "broad, general statement." Rather specious rationale if you ask me. Are you sure your post there didn't say ******?
    in the thread in question i used no swear words and was banned for obnoxiousness and causing arguements. discussion on Trailplace is not welcome. i just kept repeating my stance. 7sisters and the others are dog owners so thier little feelings are hurt i guess

Images

banned..... are you serious??? I'd have to say that having a dog in a shelter with people who aren't dog lovers, would be like lighting a cigarette in a shelter with non-smokers....

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Dogs in shelters?

I'm with Wolf. dogs should not be sleeping in shelters. I once slept in a shelter with a dog and it's owner in the same sleeping bag right next to me. That was Marvin the Wounder dog from 01.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Getting banned from a forum for stating your opinion in a civil way....WOW!!! That sheds new light on Trailplace to me.

I am a dog owner and would never put my dog in a shelter although I have seen many in them. Not everyone likes dogs. Not every dog owner is considerate of that when using shelters. That's what makes it difficult for the dog owners that take other hikers in to consideration.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyhick View Post
    banned..... are you serious??? I'd have to say that having a dog in a shelter with people who aren't dog lovers, would be like lighting a cigarette in a shelter with non-smokers....
    Great comparrison!!! Well said!

Images

I have mixed feelings on the dog issue. I own a dog, but don't take him hiking. I don't think I'd appreciate someone allowing their dog in a shelter without first asking me if I minded if I were staying there also.

The ATC says: "Take special measures at shelters. Leash your dog in the shelter area, and ask permission of other hikers before allowing your dog in a shelter. Be prepared to "tent out" when a shelter is crowded, and on rainy days."

I agree with the ATC here.

Sometimes I agree with LW, sometimes I don't. Amazing . I don't mind staying in shelters sometimes and he loathes them. Just different opinions. We're allowed to disagree and make our own adult choices. And we can still offer our opinions and talk about them civilly.

Adults learn to disagree and still share the sandbox. It's called maturity. Children throw tantrums - and ban people from DB's.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Default Agree

I have to agree on both accounts, that it was too harsh and that dogs do not belong in shelters.

I was at Woods hole in Ga this past weekend and my dog was tethered 30-40 ft away from the shelter until everyone was done cooking and eating. Only after that, did I let him come closer. I only moved him closer b/c the other ppl staying there asked me if he could come over. Never once did he set foot in the shelter nor never will he.

-J
    "I think we broke his brain."

Images

all dogs belong in shelters, especially if they're wet & muddy.
    "The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive." -TJ

I'm a dog owner and a dog lover. I wouldn't let her in a shelter because I have respect for other hikers. In fact I don't even let her in my house. She stays outside. I don't take her on the trail for 2 reasons-
    She's not leash trained anywhere near well enough
    She doesn't like riding in a vehicle. The only time she does is when she goes to the vet, and that's in the back of my truck, not in the family car. I love dogs but I don't want their hair, fleas or smell in my living, sleeping or driving space. By the way my dog does not have fleas. She does have hair and an occasional smell.

LW is right, no dogs in shelters. I am a dog owner, but I would never take my dog in a shelter and I don't sleep in them either.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gold bond View Post
    I do not like dogs near where I sleep or where I eat....that being said I guess that makes me a no.
    I'm with you on this. Had an experience at a shelter in early May with a hiker with 2 dogs - both allowed to roam in the shelter and one of them ended up with my dinner because he stuck his nose in it before I could pull it away. Of course the owner was apologetic but the dogs continued to be allowed to roam in the shelter at will and were fed in the shelter (weather was excellent). They barked and charged into hikers in the shelter as well.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Starting with the presumption that shelters belong there to begin with, NO, dogs don't belong. Asking others is wrong too. For whatever reason, most will not say, "No, I think your dog is doing fine outside the shelter. Thank you."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by the goat View Post
    all dogs belong in shelters, especially if they're wet & muddy.
    You may shortly be banished for disagreeing with a moderator.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    LW is right, no dogs in shelters. I am a dog owner, but I would never take my dog in a shelter and I don't sleep in them either.
    Not on Trailplace. I'm obnoxious and argumentative for saying dogs don't belong in shelters

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Starting with the presumption that shelters belong there to begin with, NO, dogs don't belong. Asking others is wrong too. For whatever reason, most will not say, "No, I think your dog is doing fine outside the shelter. Thank you."
    No kidding. When the dog took my dinner was I supposed to say "Hey no problem! I wasn't hungry after hiking all day." Or "Gosh the dogs are just so darn cute. Let me see what else I have in my food bag that they can have." Dogs are much like children - the only people who think theirs are so cute and wonderful and welcome everywhere are the owners/parents. Everyone else just has to smile and nod and hope they go away. And I'm a parent.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    I'm with you on this. Had an experience at a shelter in early May with a hiker with 2 dogs - both allowed to roam in the shelter and one of them ended up with my dinner because he stuck his nose in it before I could pull it away. Of course the owner was apologetic but the dogs continued to be allowed to roam in the shelter at will and were fed in the shelter (weather was excellent). They barked and charged into hikers in the shelter as well.
    I was doing a short section last Sunday and couldn't even get near the shelter to sign the register. "Cujo" and his mutt friends were all over us. Dogs need to be leashed. Apologetic owners is not enough.

And I like dogs. But on the trail, they should be leashed and kept away from shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post

And I like dogs. But on the trail, they should be leashed and kept away from shelters.
    go to trailplace and say that

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++