WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: AT and Everest

Images

There's no such thing as a Nepali restaurant. Because there's only one dish you can really call "Nepali," Dal Bhat. And who really craves lentils?

I would kill, though, for some Swiss rostis, momos and fresh-squeezed pineapple juice...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    There's no such thing as a Nepali restaurant. Because there's only one dish you can really call "Nepali," Dal Bhat. And who really craves lentils?

Tell that to Pemba Sherpa..not me. I just enjoy the food.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I looked at the menu -- yes, looks very good! Mostly Indian food. Which is YUM. If I'm ever in the neighborhood...

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    I looked at the menu -- yes, looks very good! Mostly Indian food. Which is YUM. If I'm ever in the neighborhood...
    Yep. It is indeed mainly Indian..with some momos, thupka, etc. throw in. whatever they decide to call it...it is delicious.

Ran by the nicest people too. Who walk the walk (run the runs and climb the climbs) and don't post on Internet forums for some reason.

Two sets of friends had their wedding reception at this place. It is an old Victorian type house with an outdoor patio. In fact, one group of friends were the first to have their wedding reception there. It was almost was setup for a joke: Their rabbi was there...and a buddhist monk!
    (A rare pic of me in non-outdoor attire at the place for wedding #2)

Tell you what. Saag makes for a more memorable wedding meal than the macaroni and chicken dinners I had at weddings growing up.

Life is good...
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Good. Now quit judging others, being obtuse on purpose and quit your pontificating. Talk about your hikes more. And since you seem to love to talk about the Everest experience from behind a computer, perhaps you could share your climbing experience as well?
    Thanks.
    I beg your pardon?..I did none of the things you mention..I am entitled to an opinion as well as anyone..Just because it differs from yours or isn`t what you can to hear on the subject doesn`t make it any less valid..What you think that just because someone hasn`t been on Everest themselves recently they can`t have any knowledge of what those who have been there are saying or believe about the topic?..You need to grow up and learn to face the fact others may have a different and contrary view of things than you...I`m sick of this all anyway...I`ll continue to do my private little hikes on the AT in peace and try and avoid the modern contamination..Bye everybody and have fun and be safe out there..I`m gone
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Good. Now quit judging others, being obtuse on purpose and quit your pontificating. Talk about your hikes more. And since you seem to love to talk about the Everest experience from behind a computer, perhaps you could share your climbing experience as well?

Thanks.
    you ain't been to everest either but you throw out sherpa names and stuff. you sound like an everest sniffer i met tiger woods. i'm a golf ball sniffer

Ran by the nicest people too. Who walk the walk (run the runs and climb the climbs) and don't post on Internet forums for some reason.
    How would you know where they surf to? The Asians (Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, etc.) at my workplace are as fond of the Internet as anyone else, I assure you.

Why such a discussion about AT versus Everest?
    If you want to do really dangerous dumb things, try cave diving. Even the very best, those that write the books on how to do it all die in underwater caves. And yes I have done some (about 15 dives in true caves) and it scared the crap out of me. I do not do it anymore because it does not make sense to me. All you see is the inside of wet rocks.

all this sherpa and porter stuff sounds like slavery. carry your own damn *hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    ose You need to grow up and learn to face the fact others may have a different and contrary view of things than you...

Programbo, since day one, you have been judgemental of other people and the way they do things that are contrary to your pre-definted notions. I think you need to listen to your own words.

People will hike slow. People will hike fast. People will carry little. People will carry a lot. People will party on the AT. Some people won't. Some people will run the trail. Some people will slackpack.

Now you pontificate on topics. Perhaps you are the High Holy Council of Hiking? It is one thing to have an opinion..it is nice to have some basis to back up your strident views. I don't see that.

Perhaps I am being harsh..but man..you are a PITA.

Never sharing the joy of the outdoors. Only criticizing others and how they choose to enjoy the trail.

You don't have opinions; you just castigate those who don't hold to your predefined views of how the outdoors should be enjoyed.

The outdoors should be celebrated. Not used as some yardstick to judge people by your own narrow, definied and rigid set of parameters.

Contrary view? I, and many others, celebrate views and different ways of enjoying the outdoors.

You? You use the outdoors as some odd litmus test.

Quote Originally Posted by Programbo View Post
    `Bye everybody and have fun and be safe out there..I`m gone

People do. You just don't like how they do it. As you said in almost all your posts.

Go out. Hike. Think about your words.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you ain't been to everest either but you throw out sherpa names and stuff. you sound like an everest sniffer i met tiger woods. i'm a golf ball sniffer
    I'm a momo and chai sniffer... Yum...

(too much of a wimp for technical mountaineering. I admit it. But I do love ot sniff food found in that region!)
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    all this sherpa and porter stuff sounds like slavery. carry your own damn *hit.
    It is very weird. I hired a porter for one day when I had the flu, and though I was grateful, and probably couldn't have hiked without the help, it was just way too uncomfortable for me.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    How would you know where they surf to? The Asians (Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean, Pakistani, etc.) at my workplace are as fond of the Internet as anyone else, I assure you.

It is a joke. Sheesh. Aimed at the people who probably take it too seriously.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

I'm an Everest beer sniffer. The kind in the BIG bottles.

Images

When it comes to beer, Everest wins this silly AT vs. Everest contest:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...?i=25476&c=683

I remember Star beer and Tuborg. Even at 16,000' at Lobuche you could buy a beer. (not cheap at that altitude as someone carried it there AND they are returnable bottles. Good for the Nepalese on that score aye? )

Hey Mags, the best part about Sherpa's restaurant in Boulder is that the waitresses come around with a pot of chai refilling your glass. (like diners and truck stops do with coffee) That is some good stuff.

AT hikers certainly don't need porters to carry their minimal loads. But having a Sherpa along will teach you much about hiking/history/culture and most importantly their humbleness and compassion. Without it, you are missing much of the reason for going.
    A good read is Peter Matthieson's "Snow Leopard" Half the book is about his quest for spotting a practically extinct animal, and half the book is about discovering a wonderful culture with their powerful beliefs.

Programbo, since day one, you have been judgemental of other people and the way they do things that are contrary to your pre-definted notions. I think you need to listen to your own words.

People will hike slow. People will hike fast. People will carry little. People will carry a lot. People will party on the AT. Some people won't. Some people will run the trail. Some people will slackpack.

Now you pontificate on topics. Perhaps you are the High Holy Council of Hiking? It is one thing to have an opinion..it is nice to have some basis to back up your strident views. I don't see that.

Perhaps I am being harsh..but man..you are a PITA.

Never sharing the joy of the outdoors. Only criticizing others and how they choose to enjoy the trail.

You don't have opinions; you just castigate those who don't hold to your predefined views of how the outdoors should be enjoyed.

The outdoors should be celebrated. Not used as some yardstick to judge people by your own narrow, definied and rigid set of parameters.

Contrary view? I, and many others, celebrate views and different ways of enjoying the outdoors.

You? You use the outdoors as some odd litmus test.

People do. You just don't like how they do it. As you said in almost all your posts.

Go out. Hike. Think about your words.
    How is that MEAN MARINARA SAUCE coming anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    A good read is Peter Matthieson's "Snow Leopard" Half the book is about his quest for spotting a practically extinct animal, and half the book is about discovering a wonderful culture with their powerful beliefs.
    A great book, indeed. I was surprised by the dangers they faced on a non-technical trek.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    A great book, indeed. I was surprised by the dangers they faced on a non-technical trek.
    a non tech trek is just a hike

when I think of sherpas I think of adventure sportsmen that like a good challenge and
    have a crazy enough sense of humour to drag their crazy ass sponsors along with them

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++