WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Ground cloth... how thin is TOO thin?

After buying a 4' x 8' section of Tyvek to use as a UL ground cloth, I cut out a similar sized piece of 0.7mil plastic painter's drop cloth and noticed a BIG weight difference. The 0.7 mil is way lighter but it's so thin though, should I go with 1mil or 2 mil instead?

Anyone with experience in this I would appreciate hearing from!

Are you using a tarp?

I prefer tyvek (kite) myself, but I haven't used as thin as you are suggesting. What kind of tyvek are you using?

Also, I do fine with a 3X7 piece and I'm tall (74"). I use a tarp, I don't know if you are trying to fill say a tarptent. If you cut a foot off the side, you'd save 25% on the weight.

I've used the thinnest painters cloth to cover the floor when painting though and I don't really like the stuff. It's fragile.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Yes, Its a basic Dancing Light Gear tarptent without any options.

Images

The Tyvek I got is the home-builders stuff... white with Tyvek logo on one side.

Images

I've been using these from Gossamer Gear for several years now. They come in 2-packs. I'm still using my first one, just put the first hole in it a couple of weeks ago. In other words, if you use some care, they are incredibly tough and only weigh 1.5 oz.

Check them out. Recommended.

http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/...und_cloth.html

Images

Another plug for the Gossamer Gear ground sheets. I'm also on my first of a two pack, and it's been a couple of years. They are plenty big enough and weigh almost nothing.

I cut one in half to use when I hammock, so I have something to put on the wet ground when I am setting up or tearing down camp. Weighs 0.65 oz.

Note that they use some industrial heat-shrink wrapping that is much tougher than a painter's drop sheet.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

That GG ground sheet is half as light as the kite tyvek I use, so it's probably your best bet.

Is it slippery? And does it stay wet if folded wet? What I found when using the painter's cloth is that if it was a little wet when I put it away it developed odors.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

.75 mil x 4 x 8 = 1.7 oz
    1.5 mil x 4 x 8 = 3.6 oz
    tyvek x 4 x 8 = 6.2 oz

these numbers are only approximations, and so the poly sheets can weigh significantly less than tyvek, but aside from the gram weenie nature of the question, I think the Tyvek is going to be significantly more durable than any plastic sheet.

1 1/2 - 2 mils is probably not heavy enough to be durable for any length of time. You'd probably need something like 5-6 mils for durability and there goes your weight savings.

I wouldnt use plastic. I like tyvek (usually its free) although some other ground sheet specific products are probably great too.

Kite tyvek, 4x8~4.2 oz.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Stay with the Tyvek, even for the little extra weight. I've used my (one) piece 4 years now, it's still as good as ever. Practically indestructable.
    Remember this - - Even the best of friends cannot attend each other's funerals.

Ground sheets are like condoms, the kind you use depends on where your priorities are, and that's why there are so many different choices available!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    That GG ground sheet is half as light as the kite tyvek I use, so it's probably your best bet.

Is it slippery? And does it stay wet if folded wet? What I found when using the painter's cloth is that if it was a little wet when I put it away it developed odors.

It is slippery like most plastic. Haven't noticed any problems with odor. They say it is minimally breathable, so it probably will eventually dry even if folded wet. I pack it in an outside mesh pocket on my ULA.

The biggest problem I've had in actual use is getting it to stay put when you lay it out. It is so light weight that the smallest breeze will send it flying. You have to get used to having something to weight it down ready before you try to spread it out. Not really difficult to do since I am usually unpacking anyway, so have plenty of options if there are no small stones around.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vanwag View Post
    After buying a 4' x 8' section of Tyvek to use as a UL ground cloth, I cut out a similar sized piece of 0.7mil plastic painter's drop cloth and noticed a BIG weight difference. The 0.7 mil is way lighter but it's so thin though, should I go with 1mil or 2 mil instead?

Anyone with experience in this I would appreciate hearing from!
    =============================

Have used both. Plastic that thin rips and shreds. Go with the Tyvek !!

If you are concerned about the weight difference consider the "kite" Tyvek.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

I've been using the GG polycyro for a while now and really love that stuff. Much lighter than almost anything else and very strong. Still on the first sheet of the 2-pack and no holes in it.

Last month I folded it up damp every night on a 7 night trip and never bothered to open it up and dry it on the final night. I took it out a few days ago after being folded slightly damp for over a month and it is dry with no odors or mildew.

Really Good Stuff (TM)!

I'm worth a million in prizes astrogirl's Avatar
    Images

I use the GG spinsheets, which are between the polycro and the tyvek in weight. They are strong and light. The 60x84 weighs 4.2 oz., and you could cut it down to 4' easily if that's all you needed.
    -----------------------------------------------
    obstacles are found everywhere, and in taking them, we nourish ourselves.
    http://astrogirl.com/blog/Backpacking

Images

Lightbulb

Almost made an uncalled for comment here. Won't even bother saying who it would have been aimed at. I'm just glad I decided to re-read the post that was triggering my comment. I had completely mis-read it and would have been making a really stupid comment. I would have been using this post to apologize.

In stead, let me use it to caution others to remember to read other folk's posts carefully before disagreeing or taking offense.

Geezer

I've used 2 mil painters dropcloth for the last 3-4 years. Very cheap, i cut trapezoid shape (2 up and 1 down) and get 3 per 9x12 sheet. 1 mil was too flimsy and 4 mil too heavy. I have builders TYVEK but rarely use it. Heavy. I may look into kite TYVEK.

Plastic dropcloths tend to stay wet when folded (like my TYVEK) but like the TYVEK air dry quickly when laid out. When used on muddy ground our in a muddy-floored shelter wash out easily in a stream.

The GG groundsheets sound interesting. I'll look into them. Always up to try new gear...
    Frosty

I agree with frosty on plastic, 2 mil is lowest you want to go. Folds easily and will last quite a while with basic care. Then when it is used up, recycle, replace. Very cost effective. But for our scout troop, we use 4 mil, which is much tougher and obviously heavier. Also a little stiff to fold. But seriously tough.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

For strictly a lightweight barrier between my bag and damp ground I go with polycro, but in colder or known really wet areas I go for a slightly larger sheet, usually in tyvek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++