WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default Christian Brotherhood / Sisterhood Hike!

It was suggested in the "Best Bible for Backpacking" thread by "sheepdog" that it would be cool for a believer's hike to take place, where we could edify one another and in addition to completing a great hike, glorify God through some campsite spiritual fellowship.

I have planned a hike from Sam's Gap to 19E from Oct. 11th to the 18th. It's about 70 miles, thus a modest 10 mile per day pace over seven days. It's a full moon week! I plan to arrive at Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast (866) 772-9494 on the 10th and use their shuttle to Sam's Gap. The hiker's cabin there cost $15 and a hardy breakfast the morning of the start of the hike is $7. Splitting the shuttle x-ways should be cheap, and this place is just 1/4 mile off the AT at 19E, where we will finish. There is a $2/day fee for leaving your car in a very protected environment at Mountain Harbour B&B.

If interested, please PM me (and respond here).

I will be happy to serve as organizer for this trek.

Qualifications to participate: While it is certain that many who commit to this fellowship hike will be what is considered to be strong Christians, we welcome anyone who feels the Holy Spirit's "tug" to join the group. The theme of this hike is:

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another. Proverbs 27:17 ESV

If you are not sure about your faith but are earnestly seeking answers, please consider joining this trek!

Soli Deo Gloria!

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

If He-Dino wanted to meet up with you and hike a ways, would that be OK? We have doctor appointments and two great-grandkid birthday parties this week.

Images

I will try to make it. I need to juggle my schedule a bit.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    If He-Dino wanted to meet up with you and hike a ways, would that be OK? We have doctor appointments and two great-grandkid birthday parties this week.
    If He-Dino can join us (and by "us" at this point is myself and sheepdog, until this develops further), that would be great, even if only a portion of the trek. Let me know and we will fine tune the details as the date approaches.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd love to do a sisterhood hike...

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Maybe an announcement or planning thread in the female forum would be the way. Sorry to interrupt you guys thread.

Images

I'm all for it! See ccmment on FD's post.

Images

Maybe an announcement or planning thread in the female forum would be the way. Sorry to interrupt you guys thread.
    I'm all for wide dissemination of this idea. Let me know how this can best be accomplished.

The end result would be guys and gals of wholehearted faith in Jesus Christ spending time together at the end of each trail day in joyful worship and expounding upon knowledge of the Holy One! If these words seem strange to anyone, I would implore you to engage in this trek, as it may be a defining moment in your life!

Images

I think that your idea is fantastic!!! I wish I was closer and could participate. It would not work out for me right now, but in the future I would love to meet you guys, and explore God's beautiful creation with fellow brothers and/or sisters. Even though I won't physically be there, you guys will be in my prayers and thoughts. Have a fantastic hike!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird62 View Post
    I think that your idea is fantastic!!! I wish I was closer and could participate. It would not work out for me right now, but in the future I would love to meet you guys, and explore God's beautiful creation with fellow brothers and/or sisters. Even though I won't physically be there, you guys will be in my prayers and thoughts. Have a fantastic hike!!!
    Maybe God will make a way, when there seems to be no way . . . but your prayers will no doubt bring joy to our group experience!

Images

A suggestion: you know how we have Rucks in various places - maybe you fellows could have Brotherhood hikes in several locales so more people could participate.

Images

A suggestion: you know how we have Rucks in various places - maybe you fellows could have Brotherhood hikes in several locales so more people could participate.
    Who knows? Maybe this is the beginning of just such a thing!

Images

Isn't that the same weekend as the ALDHA Gathering? I was going to try to get a ride to the Gathering if I'm anywhere near. I don't think I'll be far enough south to do the Brother/Sisterhood thing, but wish you all well.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Isn't that the same weekend as the ALDHA Gathering? I was going to try to get a ride to the Gathering if I'm anywhere near. I don't think I'll be far enough south to do the Brother/Sisterhood thing, but wish you all well.

seems like it'd be cheapest and shortest ride if was able to get a ride from pearisburg VA Google says 48 miles, about one hour drive
    " YOU'RE MAD!" "... Thank goodness for that, Because if I wasn't this would probably never work." AT thru hiker advice from CAPN jack sparrow

Great idea!!! Wish I could make this one. If this turns successful, let's keep this going!
    Moses

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Will keep that in mind and can slip it a week if the interest and majority so desire. The reason I chose the 11th thru 18th is it's a full moon week. I've kinda gotten used to picking full moon weeks for week-long hikes as it makes the nights very pleasant. But dark starry nights are nice too!

So why don't we start a "Count me in" list? Don't worry if you have to pull out for life/scheduling reasons. Adding your name is for planning and interest level assesment. The WB Trail Police will not come banging on your door if you don't show up! To add your name to the list, copy and paste in your post the following, adding your name to it:

COUNT ME IN - Sister/Brotherhood Fellowship Hike:
    Summit

WWW/Pennauwelwndam Gohkos / Donating Member
    Images

I would be interested. What a way to celebrate a birthday (18th) than hitting the trail with others of like mind and faith. I will have to work out some details with my schedule, but am definately interested.

TO
    OWL

Default Alternative overnight hiking dates

I think this a great idea. I love the idea of hiking during the full moon.

But on a selfish note, let me say that I would love to meet some of you guys just for a one nighter. After 30+ years of car camping I'm pretty new to this backpacking thing... But, I do want to get out on the trail with my 12 year old daughter and I think this would be a good environment for us both to see how it's really done on the AT.

Kinda the opposite of Trail Days I guess.

We live in Birmingham (AL), but go somewhere between Virginia and North GA. almost every month of the year. So name the place and we can probably make it.

We're usually Tourist Trash when we go, but I'm trying to change that.

What a great idea. I would be interested in that as well but may have to wait for something like this for after next school year when I retire.

FANTASTIC idea! Glad to see that the hike now includes Christian women as well as Christian men. I will try to see if I can arrange my schedule to join you. If not, I will join my prayers for success for all who do go.
    Trillium

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++