WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default I'm not ultralight but...

I did just do a hike with a 20# pack and I've just got to say that the difference between 20# and 30# is gosh darned incredible. Especially going up.

Makes me want to see what else I can leave at home.

I does make a difference... especially as you get older...

That's the only way that I am able to hike. I started in early April with 20#s and yes it is very nice. I only froze a couple of times at camp. That's where that nice, light WM bag came in handy.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'm in reasonable enough shape from playing soccer (although I've had to graduate to the over-30, over-40, and over-50 leagues!) that I could probably still lug a 50 pound pack for an extended section. However, my feet and body are not nearly as sore at the end of the day with my typical 23-27 pound load. In my late teens/early twenties I'd average 14 mpd in the Mid-Atlantic states. Physically I'm stronger now, but everything gets a lot more sore from extended use. I average 15-22 mpd down south, and 11 mpd through the Whites as you just can't stride the way you can on a smoother trail surface. With less weight you can use a much lighter pack, your shoulders hold out a lot longer, you don't need to rest on the ascents as often, your knees and quads take less of a beating on the descents, and it's easier to keep your balance. Plus, with less stuff it's easier to pack and re-pack.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    . . . Plus, with less stuff it's easier to pack and re-pack.
    One of my all time favorite rants. More gear, takes more time to pack. Less gear, takes less time to pack. Next, with less gear it takes less time to find an essential piece of gear because there's less crap in the way. Then there's the fact that if you don't waste your money on crap you have more money to spend on higher quality gear.

I'm sure there's a principle in there somewhere.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I does make a difference... especially as you get older...
    Go ahead. Rub it in.

I have to agree. 40# wasn't too bad when I was i my 20's.
    30 - 35# was okay when I was in my 30's.
    25 - 30# was only bearable in my 40's.

Now that I'm 50 I'm trying to get down to under a 15# base. But there's so much cool gear out there. It's a dilemma. Now if they would only allow llamas on the AT...
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

I hiked faster at age 54 than I did at age 37. I attribute that mostly to a lighter pack, though that may not be the only reason. I remember carrying insane weights on my back when I first took up hiking.

I hiked faster at age 54 than I did at age 37. I attribute that mostly to a lighter pack, though that may not be the only reason. I remember carrying insane weights on my back when I first took up hiking.
    Sure you hike faster at the older age trying to catch them women that past you

I'm in good shape and can carry a 35-40# pack if I have to but my "out the door" weight is usually around 30#. I hit the trail this hike just a shade over 20 - including food and water. After my first meal I dropped under 20# and every time I ate I thought "my pack is even lighter now"... At the end of my hike I was probably under 12 lbs. It might have been a bad choice but I went waterless the last 5 miles. Anyway, I'm convinced - this is the only way to travel. Even got over 30 miles one day.

I was merciless about cutting gear that I carry but never use. On top of that, I was able to leave all the winter stuff, carried a 50 degree bag instead of a 20 degree bag and was a lot smarter about how much food I packed.

It has taken me over 500 miles of hiking to even begin to figure out what I really need and what I can leave. I guess I'm kinda slow that way.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    It has taken me over 500 miles of hiking to even begin to figure out what I really need and what I can leave. I guess I'm kinda slow that way.
    Some people never figure it out.
    Frosty

It might have been a bad choice but I went waterless the last 5 miles. Anyway, I'm convinced - this is the only way to travel.
    A run-in with kidney stones might convince you otherwise. I speak from experience. Skimping on water is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-k View Post
    i Did Just Do A Hike With A 20# Pack And I've Just Got To Say That The Difference Between 20# And 30# Is Gosh Darned Incredible. Especially Going Up.

Makes Me Want To See What Else I Can Leave At Home.
    Gram Weenie!!!!! :d
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

A run-in with kidney stones might convince you otherwise. I speak from experience. Skimping on water is not a good idea.
    I didn't skimp - I had plenty of water the entire hike. I just opted not to refill when I ran out with just 5 miles left until I was back at my truck.

I didn't skimp - I had plenty of water the entire hike. I just opted not to refill when I ran out with just 5 miles left until I was back at my truck.
    Just sayin'. Several of my least-pleasant times in the woods involved being low on water. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Images

I did just do a hike with a 20# pack and I've just got to say that the difference between 20# and 30# is gosh darned incredible. Especially going up.

Makes me want to see what else I can leave at home.
    It is kind of an eye-opener isn't it?
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Just sayin'. Several of my least-pleasant times in the woods involved being low on water. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    I concur. I'd rather carry a bit of extra water than run the risk of running out, as I've run out on a hot day about 5 miles short of water. You know you can do it, but make sure that you're fully hydrated when you run out, the temperature and humidity are similar, and that you're positive you have a lot of fluids at the end of your hike!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    I concur. I'd rather carry a bit of extra water than run the risk of running out, as I've run out on a hot day about 5 miles short of water. You know you can do it, but make sure that you're fully hydrated when you run out, the temperature and humidity are similar, and that you're positive you have a lot of fluids at the end of your hike!
    On a really hot day I consume 1/2 L of water per mile. On a really cool day (50's or lower) I consume 1/4 L of water per mile.

My strategy for water is that I fill up a 16 ounce bottle and carry it as my reserve supply, in addition to whatever I figure I'll need. This gives me an average of 2 extra miles if I should miscalculate to make it to a good water source. It's a pound of insurance that's paid off more than once.

This also keeps me from carrying that "extra platy" full of water when I'd always make it to camp with 2 and a half extra L of water in my pack .... and I'd rather carry 1 extra pound than 5 or 6.

Just replace that extra Platy you carry with a 1/2 L water bottle from the gas station and see how it works out ... you'll be amazed.

My physical body seems to have peaked at age 51. I was stronger, faster, and a little smarter then than ever in my life.
    Now, i'm about to turn 58 and don't seem to have the longevity power that i did then. Of course i haven't done any tough hikes in 4 years now either. That probably makes a huge difference.

It's not hard to find light gear these days. I am very interested in anything out there that is lighter than what i'm carrying.
    I know what i need and what i don't.
    Of course, if you can't do the big miles, you may need to carry more food and that's the heavyest thing isn't it?

I don't carry much water, but man, i can drink a lot when i'm heading into a dry stretch. (once i drank 6 litres before going into a 28 mile dry stretch, i wasn't thirsty again until sometime the next morning)
    After a rainstorm , for the next few days, why carry water? (on the AT) There are exceptions of course,
    Learning desert hiking out west is an important lesson in backpacking and water. It is now one of my most favorite places to hike and you learn things like cottonwood trees and flowers blooming can mean water or not early into your hike.

The easiest way to save ounces is to carry less water and that means drink a lot at the water source and you won't need as much. Just try it sometime. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    The easiest way to save ounces is to carry less water and that means drink a lot at the water source and you won't need as much. Just try it sometime. It works.

I've been running competitively for years (see trail name....) - I'm very aware of hydration needs and what I require in terms of fluids.

Hiking is a little different than runnng in that you don't know for sure what your next water source is going to be but I do know that if I am fully hydrated I hike for a couple of hours in 50 degree weather in the early morning without dehydrating. BTW, my digital thermometer said it was 43.4 that morning - pretty cool for a mid-June morning, eh?

Had it been 80-90 degrees with strenous climbs that would have been another story altogether. The last 5 miles into Damascus is about like walking around my local park here.

So, in principle I agree - always carry water. In practice, I think there are times when you can not have any water and be completely safe.

So, in principle I agree - always carry water. In practice, I think there are times when you can not have any water and be completely safe.
    Sure, sort of... if you're walking along a lake shore or river, or following a storm that leaves all the streams running nicely.

But the "trouble" with the AT is that it follows the ridges a lot, and there tends to be less water up there.

So in addition to "cameling up" as FH described, it's a good idea to check your maps and consider where the trail is heading. If you're at a stream and the trail is about to head up to the ridge, that's the time to camel up and stock up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++