WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Seaching for a better Trail Knife

Well I just love to be inquisitive... Owls need to know. While hanging out at a party I watched a Friend pop a brew with his swiss army knife that was clearly a lot longer and easier to use. As we all might know length of blades is regulated by state or federal laws. 2 inches for a swiss knife well...its a bit of a joke or a good piece of ridiculous cutlery. Remember when they had a fork years ago? I am looking for knowledgeable help in finding a good source of lightweight "longer" swiss knifes & a lightweight or better survival knife longer than 3 1/4 inches. This appears to be a internet source as most places have to follow too many rules. I am not looking for "illegal" just something of better quality and length. Feel free to post your favorite knives - although I am not a not a fan of Multitool as they are too small or heavy.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks Hiking Pa, somehow that was what I would expect from you, You really don't disappoint anybody.

I am looking for a better product than this Shrade.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...mageuser=11552
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

CRKT didn't post size or weight, The Rocky National Site was very helpful! That's a good start....

Woo

Google : Smokey Mountain Knife Works and Knife Center of the Internet. They both carry many variations of the "long-blade" Swiss Army Knives.

For a peek at the higher-end of things have a look at the "Sebenza" by Chris Reeve knives in Idaho. Heavy/expensive and worth every gram/dollar. Also Bob Dozier knives of Arkansas for sheath knives.

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

My favorite trail knife goes down the east side from Katahdin. It has a serrated sharp edge and it can be used for slicing clouds.
    Aaron

http://www.buysellcommunity.com/sale/JXEFUCPY/

HA! everyone thinks my knife is overkill, not as heavy as it looks, survival knife for sure. Legal everywhere, who knows!

Images

i found this jewel at the outfitter in Hot Springs!

http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?...productID=3563

I have the same camillus pilot survival kife I was issued in Viet Nam. I does have a new sheath after 40 yrs.
    It meets the bill for real life or death situations, very durable and pretty inexpensive
    http://www.knivesplus.com/CAMILLUS-K...TARY-BOOT.HTML

Images

i actually use a knife similar to nick's, but ww2 us navy issue. thanks gramp

crkt listed weights on their site that I looked at last night www.crkt.com

If you are looking for a swiss army type knife, look at the Wenger Ranger Series. Locking blade , can opener, bottle opener, screw driver combos. Not certain of the weight.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default better trail knife

Quote Originally Posted by rpettit View Post
    If you are looking for a swiss army type knife, look at the Wenger Ranger Series. Locking blade , can opener, bottle opener, screw driver combos. Not certain of the weight.
    SteepandCheap.com runs specials on CRKT folders all the time .. you can get an $85 for $15 or so.

I've bought half a dozen for my friends and family.

Journal Entries
    Images

these are all good suggestions, the price is not the issue. Jerm actually gave me an Idea after looking at his blade without a handle (must hurt) . Now I am thinking I can take a Coghlans Sierra Saw and sharpen the other side with a blade & knotch to take out brambles.(short Machete) & have someone create a sheath.... Hmmm now if I can lighten the plastic cheap handle.

Has anyone included this saw with their back pack experience?

Woo

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    these are all good suggestions, the price is not the issue. Jerm actually gave me an Idea after looking at his blade without a handle (must hurt) . Now I am thinking I can take a Coghlans Sierra Saw and sharpen the other side with a blade & knotch to take out brambles.(short Machete) & have someone create a sheath.... Hmmm now if I can lighten the plastic cheap ass handle.

Has anyone included this saw with their back pack experience?
    I would think it would be easier to sharpen the back side of a hack saw blade and use duct tape for a handle .....

Journal Entries
    Images

I remember that thread from several months ago, no that might be a bear, as the saw blades break far to early. This is about finding something that will hold up better than that and be multi task.

Woo

Images

I'm not aware of any state that restricts blade size to only 2"

PA & Virginia have to restriction on length. Connecticut says 3 1/2" Even NJ has a specific provision where hunters and fisherman can carry a knife for lawful purposes, blade length not withstanding.

I wouldnt worry about the knife you choose to carry from that perspective. Again knife, not machete or bushido blade.

Images

Since you were asking about the "bigger" swiss army knives, here's a couple from both companies. No weights provided.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I remember that thread from several months ago, no that might be a bear, as the saw blades break far to early. This is about finding something that will hold up better than that and be multi task.
    I'm sure you'd have to retemper the main part of the blade ..... but perhaps your right .... there are better options.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++