WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cotton

Images

Default Cotton

So, with all this talk of how you shouldn't bring cotton clothes for the AT, how terrible is cotton really?

Has anyone ever worn almost all cotton for their AT?

I ask this because I've noticed that--personally--there's less chafing when I wear cotton than with synthetic materials.

For shorts I wear swimming trunks, or similar fabric. However, my shirts are all cotton, but I do have a synthetic "long johns" top/bottoms for when I get to camp (winter time).

I've found that cotton doesn't stink as bad and is easier to wash and is really good when the weather is hot, douse the shirt and put on. (wish more females would do that – without bras).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    For shorts I wear swimming trunks, or similar fabric. However, my shirts are all cotton, but I do have a synthetic "long johns" top/bottoms for when I get to camp (winter time).

I've found that cotton doesn't stink as bad and is easier to wash and is really good when the weather is hot, douse the shirt and put on. (wish more females would do that – without bras).
    But, what about wearing cotton shorts?

...(wish more females would do that – without bras).
    Whoops! Sorry, I know no one will believe me, but that wasn't intended. I thought, well never mind...

Quote Originally Posted by Sallie8998 View Post
    So, with all this talk of how you shouldn't bring cotton clothes for the AT, how terrible is cotton really?

Has anyone ever worn almost all cotton for their AT?

I ask this because I've noticed that--personally--there's less chafing when I wear cotton than with synthetic materials.

IMO, a cotton tee on a hot summer day is no problem. Dip it in a stream, wring it out and put it on wet. On the other hand, cotton sux for underwear and for socks, and it sux in winter or in cold rain.

Images

Whoops! Sorry, I know no one will believe me, but that wasn't intended. I thought, well never mind...
    Yeah, I was trying to figure out what that meant. : )

Images

Cotton shorts will work. Buy some undergarments that are not cotton. You can carry alittle Goldbond for any chaffing problems in a zip-lock bag.
    Everybody used to do it in cotton before all the new stuff came out.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I dislike cotton myself for hiking. Once it's damp from perspiration it stays damp and would think that could lead to even more chafing issues. But there were a couple of guys starting the trail last year in their jeans. You never know.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I don't get you boob-men. You've seen two, you've seen them all. Legs are where it's at.

I use polyester athletic wear, I can carry two shirts at the same weight of 1 cotton shirt, and change when it stinks.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dmax View Post
    Cotton shorts will work. Buy some undergarments that are not cotton. You can carry alittle Goldbond for any chaffing problems in a zip-lock bag.
    Everybody used to do it in cotton before all the new stuff came out.

or use Body Glide for chafing.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    I dislike cotton myself for hiking. Once it's damp from perspiration it stays damp and would think that could lead to even more chafing issues. But there were a couple of guys starting the trail last year in their jeans. You never know.
    But, couldn't you just keep up a cycle where one is drying while you wear the others?

Images

I think the "cotton kills" mantra has been overplayed to a great dgree regarding summer hiking (below timberline anyway). Heavy when wet, a little colder for a while, yeah. Deadly? That would be pretty rare in summer.

That said, definitely a very poor choice for thru-hike clothing except maybe for sleepwear only. You want clothes that dry as quickly as possible.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

But, couldn't you just keep up a cycle where one is drying while you wear the others?
    NO. They simply won't dry. Especially when it's cold and it rains every day. And there will be times on a thru-hike you'll swear it's going to rain for 40 days and 40 nights.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Cotton has a bad rap for good reasons. Weight, cold weather, dampness. Though I still think cotton is great for hot weather. I think the reason more thru-hikers don't where cotton in the hot summer is because they already have synthetics from winter/spring and do not want to send them home and or buy new cotton garmets.
    I recommend cotton dresses for woman in the summer heat. (no undergarments, but something with a built in bra) I heard of someone hiking in a sarong which sound amazingly comfortable. With all the new male hiking skirts I am sure there are plenty of guys who would wear one as well.

For long-distance backpacking, I don't even like cotton in the summer - the only advantage is that cotton shirts don't smell nearly as much as polypro. I know others have said on that soaking cotton shirts in a cold stream and wearing them on a hot day is refreshing but you can do that with polypro as well, and the washing will help lessen some - not all - of the smell.

BTW, in terms of suggestions... if you have a "uniform" store near you, buy a couple of surgical/medical scrub shirts (like the one I'm wearing in my avatar.) They're loose-fitting, lightweight, and made of a cotton-poly mix -- great for summer hiking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    BTW, in terms of suggestions... if you have a "uniform" store near you, buy a couple of surgical/medical scrub shirts (like the one I'm wearing in my avatar.) They're loose-fitting, lightweight, and made of a cotton-poly mix -- great for summer hiking.
    I guess I'm more worried about whether or not cotton shorts are all right to bring. Being overweight, my legs chafing is the biggest problem.

I guess I'm more worried about whether or not cotton shorts are all right to bring. Being overweight, my legs chafing is the biggest problem.
    My summer hiking uniform is a pair of very thin nylon shorts and a pair of conforming boxers under that. For thigh chafe, try Body Glide or Gold Bond powder (but not both at once.)

I really like Merino Wool Products for shirts and socks, instead of synthetics. They have all of the good qualities of cotton and synthetics combined -- they dry out fast, don't stink, keep you warm when it is cool and cool when it is warm.

Check out ice breaker for one of the better brands. But they are not cheap, and you may want to wait for a sale!

(But I've had synthetics that I can't get the stink out of after 5 or 6 washings and have had to throw away, and have had wool products for years, so in the end the cost is worth it!)

/Seanb724

Images

Quote Originally Posted by seanb724 View Post
    I really like Merino Wool Products for shirts and socks, instead of synthetics. They have all of the good qualities of cotton and synthetics combined -- they dry out fast, don't stink, keep you warm when it is cool and cool when it is warm.

Check out ice breaker for one of the better brands. But they are not cheap, and you may want to wait for a sale!

(But I've had synthetics that I can't get the stink out of after 5 or 6 washings and have had to throw away, and have had wool products for years, so in the end the cost is worth it!)

/Seanb724
    I'm thinking of alternating between synthetic shorts and cotton shorts. That way I have the option of seeing which ones work best for me.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++