WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rain shorts/skirt

I am looking for feedback concerning an idea about raingear. I will overheat and sweat out in rain pants due to lack of ventilation. I have seen the rainskirt, I believe it is made from backpackinglight or something like that, $25. But I already own a pair of rain pants, RedHead Thunderlight, $20 Bass Pro Shops. I was thinking about cutting them into a pair of shorts. I could wear them over my hiking shorts, or just wear the "rain shorts" instead of my hiking shorts. They have very wide legs, so there should be plenty of ventilation. Has anyone ever done this? What was your experience? Also, since I don't sew, I was thinking about using a threadless stitch product. It is a liquid that is spread on the material, and then you just fold the hem. I have no experience with such products. If anyone has used this type of product to hem a garment I would appreciate your opinion also. Thanks for you input.

Images

Sounds like a great idea. I may have to do that with an old pair of rain pants myself.

Though my personal preference has been for the trash bag rain kilt -- cheap, easy, and quick.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

A type of ventilated rain wear for the legs does come in useful on the AT.

My simple solution was a simple fifteen-cent Hefty Cinch sack with the bottom cut open. The drawstring lets you adjust the waist.

It proved enormously useful, if you can get past the "bag lady" comments from your waggish companions.
    ;-)

The positives - the Cinch Sack's extremely cheap, lightweight, well-vented and versatile. It also serves as a wind shield when you sit and cook or rest, as well as a dry spot to sit on on a rainy day, and a dry-spot "doormat" for kneeling in front of your tent. Can also go under the tent floor for protection on sketchy campsites.

Going uphill on rainy days, I would tuck the hem in the waistband to shorten for climbing.
    Going downhill, when I wasn't burning calories so much and generating heat, I would drop the hem to cut the wind and chill.

Moonbow Gear also manufactures a pair of rain chaps if you want to spend the bucks and try something "made." In cooler wet weather, a poncho or Packa might work.

You are exactly right, rain pants can be too hot for the actual backpacking, although they are nice for camp on wet and windy days.

That's why the Cinch Sack is your friend.
    ;-)
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Sounds like a great idea. I may have to do that with an old pair of rain pants myself.

Though my personal preference has been for the trash bag rain kilt -- cheap, easy, and quick.
    "Trash Bag Rain Kilt" - I love it!
    Much better marketing approach, Ken.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

I am not sure how waterproof rain pants need to be. I think lightest weight possible, and non water-absorbing, but whatever you carry for a wind layer should be sufficient. I use a waterproof poncho/tarp, and a very light cheap nylon wind jacket (4oz). Haven't found the perfect wind pants yet.

The thing about wind pants / rain pants / hiking pants is that they all can be rather redundant with one another so it is very tempting to go all in one. It could be very light, and even short might due, UNLESS you might need to do some bushwacking through tall grass with raspberry canes or some other brambles. That changes everything.

Journal Entries
    Images

I don't get this at all, Good hiking shorts are waterproof, Techwick pants that are lighter weight than cotton. I have two or three cheaps from Dicks to Walmart, One does not need rain pants to go over them, - at least for the AT. Those that carry rain pants - to wear something while sitting at the laudromat in trail towns. Help me understand this.....

I came back and added this - I have had experiences where I need to ford a river or deep stream, I thow my boots into my pack which has an additional 20 qrt. garbage bag in it, seal it and swim across, ten to fifteen minutes later I am fairly dry as pound down the trail. On some trips I wear Solomon waterproof trail sneakers and I can leave those on.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I don't get this at all, Good hiking shorts are waterproof, Techwick pants that are lighter weight than cotton. I have two or three cheaps from Dicks to Walmart, One does not need rain pants to go over them, - at least for the AT. Those that carry rain pants - to wear something while sitting at the laudromat in trail towns. Help me understand this.....

I came back and added this - I have had experiences where I need to ford a river or deep stream, I thow my boots into my pack which has an additional 20 qrt. garbage bag in it, seal it and swim across, ten to fifteen minutes later I am fairly dry as pound down the trail. On some trips I wear Solomon waterproof trail sneakers and I can leave those on.
    What are the Techwick pants made of? Do they have a water proof coating, or are they impregnated like silnylon. I have never seen waterproof short pants at Wmart. Just water resistant.

I like the trash bag idea.

Images

Waterproof shorts? Seriously? Every pair of nylon hiking shorts I have ever tried got soaked in the rain. Quite uncomfortable especially when it's cold. But rain pants are almost always too hot. (Heck, for me *pants* are almost always too hot.)

Jan -- how exactly do you use the cinch sack drawstring? I just tuck the end of the bag up under my hip belt.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default Rain Skirt

Why don't you check out the DYI that Craftzine.com put up today which shows how I make a rainskirt out of an old raincoat?

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/20...kirt.html#more

Diane

Stir Fry

I made a Kilt out of 1.1 Silnylon, goes below shorts by 6 in. held in place with velcrow and elestic. 2.3 oz with a stuff sack. I can put it on or take it off with my pack on in about 10 sec. never overheat eather.

Default Rain Kilt

How many yards of sil did you use 5 - 8?? Did you match the pleat to the sett or stripe .

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    A type of ventilated rain wear for the legs does come in useful on the AT.

My simple solution was a simple fifteen-cent Hefty Cinch sack with the bottom cut open. The drawstring lets you adjust the waist.

It proved enormously useful, if you can get past the "bag lady" comments from your waggish companions.
    ;-)

The positives - the Cinch Sack's extremely cheap, lightweight, well-vented and versatile. It also serves as a wind shield when you sit and cook or rest, as well as a dry spot to sit on on a rainy day, and a dry-spot "doormat" for kneeling in front of your tent. Can also go under the tent floor for protection on sketchy campsites.

Going uphill on rainy days, I would tuck the hem in the waistband to shorten for climbing.
    Going downhill, when I wasn't burning calories so much and generating heat, I would drop the hem to cut the wind and chill.

Moonbow Gear also manufactures a pair of rain chaps if you want to spend the bucks and try something "made." In cooler wet weather, a poncho or Packa might work.

You are exactly right, rain pants can be too hot for the actual backpacking, although they are nice for camp on wet and windy days.

That's why the Cinch Sack is your friend.
    ;-)
    I like the Idea when I was a child I would make a rain poncho out of a trash bag. Never thought of using the drawstring as a belt, just don't let it Clinch your Sack mite hurt.
    I don't know

Hike smarter, not harder.

I'm lazy, I'd probaby just buy a rain wrap from ULA.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Stir Fry

Quote Originally Posted by KMACK View Post
    How many yards of sil did you use 5 - 8?? Did you match the pleat to the sett or stripe .
    26 in.x 78in
    I folded the pleats and then sewed it to another 3 in. peace to make a wast band. then put the velcro for easy adjustment.

++ New Posts ++