WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Secret Shelter in VT?

The AT Database reports in 2004 a secret shelter just south of Gov Clement Shelter (a place where I do not want to stop). Any info on the current status of this shelter and how to find it?

Thanks,

Cosmo

ssssshhhhhhh......its a secret.

Default secret shelter

as of 2006, that secret shelter looked new, very nice, and there were free cookies there to hikers!

DavidNH

PS the clement shelter is a pit! You are right not to stop there.

Default Is this the one...

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    The AT Database reports in 2004 a secret shelter just south of Gov Clement Shelter (a place where I do not want to stop). Any info on the current status of this shelter and how to find it?

Thanks,

Cosmo
    In an area with multiple dirt roads close together, where you hung a left at a sign that read "Water", and it was a farm with a shelter? The SS I remember had 2 levels with a smooth wooden upstairs, POWER and a large box fan, a huge double stainless steel sink with RUNNING WATER (couldn't resist the temptation to handwash all my dirty clothes), and a hilarious pair of loud, constantly-protesting donkeys in the distance. Is it this place we're talking about?

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

If you are NOBO About 1.6 miles south of Gov. Clement, upon reaching Upper Cold River Road, make a left. Go about 1/4 mile and look for the rock cairn marking the path to the Secret Shelter (don't take the dirt track to the right before that). If it's still there, about 1/4 mile or so before reaching the road, you may see a notice on a tree to your left telling you how to get there.

I checked it out. It has a shower!

So a SOBO would not see the notice on the tree, and wold turn right onto Upper Cold River Rd? How far off the road is the shelter? I'm thinking of making it my first stop, leaving from Rt 4.

Cosmo

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    So a SOBO would not see the notice on the tree, and wold turn right onto Upper Cold River Rd? How far off the road is the shelter? I'm thinking of making it my first stop, leaving from Rt 4.

Cosmo
    Yes, right turn at the road. The shelter is not very far off the road and is usually visible early on (if you look closely) once you're on the path toward it.

Images

My wife and I will be hiking southbound through there this coming August. Do we need a special invitation or do we need to know the special pass word or is keeping our eyes peeled enough?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    My wife and I will be hiking southbound through there this coming August. Do we need a special invitation or do we need to know the special pass word or is keeping our eyes peeled enough?
    don't need anything.. hosts are very nice folks

I stayed there on 9/18 while doing Williamstown to Rt.4. A beautiful quiet place built with love and a bit of a sence of humor. I hope the sponsors/owners read my thankyou note. It was 35.6 deg that night. Mark S.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by minnesotasmith View Post
    In an area with multiple dirt roads close together, where you hung a left at a sign that read "Water", and it was a farm with a shelter? The SS I remember had 2 levels with a smooth wooden upstairs, POWER and a large box fan, a huge double stainless steel sink with RUNNING WATER (couldn't resist the temptation to handwash all my dirty clothes), and a hilarious pair of loud, constantly-protesting donkeys in the distance. Is it this place we're talking about?
    The place you're describing sounds like the Secret Shelter in NY...not VT.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Gov Clement is the worst excuse for a shelter there is on the LT - but at least now they've gated the road that made it such a party spot. It's still a hole in the ground, but a quiet one.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Gov Clement is the worst excuse for a shelter there is on the LT - but at least now they've gated the road that made it such a party spot. It's still a hole in the ground, but a quiet one.
    you know and i know the local boys will just break out the bolt cutters and gain access. i really question the intelligence of the ATC, GMC and U.S. Forest for keeping that dump open. common sense says tear it down

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you know and i know the local boys will just break out the bolt cutters and gain access. i really question the intelligence of the ATC, GMC and U.S. Forest for keeping that dump open. common sense says tear it down
    I don't think anyone would pursue those who acted on their own to solve that particular problem

I stayed there this summer. It's a beautifully designed shelter with a lot of whimsical touches. And two well-placed trees for hammocking as well.

Images

As nice as Vermont's secret shelter is I was even more impressed by the privey.
    And to top it off the reading material in there is a couple of coffee table books about outhouses...lol

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Indeed. In 03' I put in a long azz day to get up to Killington for the night. My buddies all slept at the Gov and twice were woken up by groups of kids, one group which was shooting off guns.

In 04' I was carrying a hammock and set up alongside that lovely creek a mile or 2 south of the shelter.

I;ll check out the Secret place if I'm ever back.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

When I went through there is '04, a group came through in ATVs, no bolt-cutters needed, and proceeded to shoot up the area around 1am. The shelter and the road need to be completely erased.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++