WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by schrochem
    how (if possible) is an underquilt adjusted for temperature? I think you covered ways to keep you warmer when it get colder (adding extra insulation via clothing etc) but how about when the temperature starts to rise? Say 40s, 50s, 60s without having another system to haul along or will it not get too "hot" and isn't a problem? or would you just leave an appropriate sized air gap for the conditions?
    Scott
    With the poncho liner underquilt this wasn't an issue and I doubt it would be for another system. It would be like sleeping on the ground in warm weather - just open up your top insulation more. But this is also why I belive a good system should include a pad of some sort so you have a little flexability - for instance you may want to stay in a shelter because there is a real frog strangler out there, you don't want to set up in a drencher, and there isn't enough room in a shelter for setting up the hammock in it.

And the pad also serves as a support for my gearskin, is insulation down to about 50 or so, a good place to lounge when laying under the hammock tarp and cooking in the rain, etc. Oware sells 40"x60" evazote pads that you can cut to your desired size, I have found a 28" wide mummy shape (18" at the foot) works very well with a clothing bag at the head where there isn't any pad. The pads only weigh 7 ounces before trimming, and I figure if I tripple layer them (making it about 3/4" thick) that will only weigh 11.5 ounces or so. http://www.owareusa.com

With my poncho lineruderquilt I found it was very hard to get a good hammock-to-quilt seal because of the rectangular shape - too much space at the head and foot. I also found that I was not always centered well on the middle of the quilt, an elbow or something would be off the center of the quilt and get cold. Of course your quilt is about twice the width of mine so the center isn't an issue, but how do you get a good weld of the hammock bottom to the quilt with a rectangular shape? I can see how CanoeBlue's would work, but it doesn't have the other feature (slit entrance/vest flaxability) of yours.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default warm----->hot

Scott, if you use the taco method you will stuff insulation between the taco and the bottom of the hammock as you see fit. For me I always carry a WM Flight-all seasons, every hike- I wear it as camp wear and when sleep time comes it goes in the taco, same with the backpack, socks, extra clothing....so all of this can be varied according to temp...CanoeBlues underquilt only weighs 10oz (I think I'm remembering correctly) so it could go on any and all hikes and easily be supplemented by the above.
    My Ponderosa/Crib system is simply too hot for anything above 30F but luckily it slides across the hammock easily to vary the amount of insulation and or course you could unzip it....but in totality I think heat rises and getting hot from below in a hammock is less a reality than getting cold....also remember the air bag trick from Risk, especially several air bags that contain filler material---you do have 2 garbage bags with you at all times dont you?

Cool

Just to get this thread up to date on my experiments:

The two innovations I have been working with this winter have been what I call the WarmHammock and the TravelPod.

The WarmHammock is a modified Speer type home-made hammock with integral insulation in the central 4 feet of the hammock. The pouch of quilted PolarGuard II insulation is sewn to the hammock with a zig-zag stitch to keep the stitch line from stressing the hammock fabric when it stretches.

See:
    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/warmhammock.htm

I tried an earlier down version, which had a technical error on my part. It turns out that pouches under hammocks need to have darts on their edges so the insulation can "pouch out" instead of being smashed against the bottom of the hammock. My fancy 4 ounces of down was smashed against the hamock and gave me no more than an eighth of an inch of insulation! I may re-do that down version which is filled with 4 oz of down for this summer.

I have also been dealing with a variation on Ed Speer's PeaPod. However, instead of using an enclosing pod of insulated material, I have just used a single layer of 1.1 oz DWR ripstop. It is a great way to carry LOTS of cold insulation insurance in an 8 oz package!

See:
    http://www.imrisk.com/hammock/travelpod.htm

With these systems combined, and with my down quilt and a standard target foam pad, and a Psolar BX balaclava, I was able to sleep comfortably to a personal record this January: -10 degrees and 10 mph wind, for a wind chill of -28 F.

While I would not go hiking in these conditions on purpose, it is comforting to know that I could not only survive, but go on to enjoying the next day if a very cold night came along.

Risk
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Images

Default 5lbs setup

Okay so it looks like I will probably go the route of pad w/ underquilt for flexability. I added it all up and it looks like it is in the 5lb range for shelter and sleep system. To be honest I am perfectly happy with that if the comfort is there. I am 6'3'' so I had to get the explorer ultralight- so with snakeskins-36oz, pad ~12oz (based on your dimensions sgt rock), ~under quilt 10-15oz (this depends on fill I think), over quilt 17-22oz. So on the light range that is 75oz and the high side 85 and the middle is 5lbs.
    So a couple of questions. How could a few ounces be shaved off the system? Sgt Rock, I will take your pad dimensions wholeheartedly but is 3/4" necessary or would 1/2'' get you by? Also, 28" how would you pack that? I know you are using the gearskin design, but wouldn't that stick out quite a bit? If using a pad, say 3/4" could you lighten up the fill in the underquilt or what that cause the problems canoeblue said about the fill falling off to the sides? Or would it be better to have 2" fill under quilt and 1/4" or 1/2" pad?
    Just tossing out ideas here to come up with a versatile setup.
    Thanks for all the pointers
    scott

Images

3/4" would probably be overkill, but I an judge that when the pad shows up and i make it. I could reduce the weight by about 1/3 to make it 1/2" thick. I would not reduce the amount of loft in the quilt though because it is so much lighter to have 1/2" of down loft than 1/2" of pad loft.

To pack the pad you couldfold it in half, so that it is about 14" wide at the top and roll it that way, again, I won't know until the pad gets here. With a gearskin I simply put the wide part against my back then the side compression straps fold those sides over like wings and compress them in well.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Default Hammock Warmer

Yea......Quilts. Here's an upload of a down filled quilt (measures 4'x6') I purchased for domestic use that I'm thinking of using for a summer hummer. It's a Woolrich brand, that I bought at Target. Can't remember how much I paid....not much, thou. It's small, light (6oz), and covered in silk. It compresses to nothing. Check it out....might be just what you need to warm the bottom of a hammock. No muss, No fuss! KZ@
    Last edited by Kozmic Zian; 03-03-2004 at 10:37.
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

Images

That 1/4" padding sounds pretty good for the versatility/weight. I wonder if sandwiching some mylar between two layers would add to its Rvalue. and replace a third layer.
    Also, I was reading someones trailjournal and they mentioned Tom Hennessy is testing a cold weather product and will have it at Trail days. Anyone know specifically what method he is employing?
    Scott

Images

Mylar would not add a lot to the R value of a pad.
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Images

OK. Here is the deal on “Jacks ‘r’ Better” under-quilts for Hennessey hammocks and other models.

First. We have been actively working and testing hammock insulation ideas and systems for over two years. In our experience, the under-quilt is the best answer. Our homemade models have undergone a fair amount of testing. Our earliest quilts have seen 80 nights of use and 800+ miles of the AT. We are in the final stages of weight reduction and determination of the best overall attachment system. Read simplest, lightest, with adequate durability.

Second, these under-quilts are fairly described as:
    * Nominal dimension are 48x78x1.5 inches.
    * Fabric is 1.1 oz rip stop w/DWR treatment.
    * Box baffle design uses no-seeum netting.
    * Design includes a split entrance w/non-snagging, double sex Velcro hook and loop that attaches to the Hennessy’s entrance hook and loop. It can, also, be self fastened to form a flat quilt for cabin use. Further, it can be used as a top quilt, either stand-alone or as a bag liner since it has a foot sack capability.
    * It attaches to the hammock without sewing or special hardware.
    * Attachment time is generally under a minute.
    * It may be comfortably worn as a parka length vest.
    * It comes with a silnyl compression sack that allows it to be stuffed to 7x7x7.
    * It weighs 18 oz; the compression sack is 1 oz.
    * These prototypes are stuffed with “floor down” that has been washed, believed to be approx 750 fill.
    * We have used these into the low 30s, wearing only fleece long underwear and using a down top quilt and balaclava, often barefoot.
    * Photos are posted in the member gallery under Smee, and in the others gallery under Hammocks.

We are considering getting a booth at Trail Days in Damscus and will have a few prototypes available. The quality of workmanship is really good on these prototypes. They will be for sale at Trail Days or on advance order at $175 with $50 deposit. Send a personal message if interested. See you in Damascus.

NOTE: Regular price for the Jacks "r" Better "Nest" is $199.00 plus shipping and handling (and 4.5% state tax if in VA). Our $175.00 price was an introductory Trail Days special.
    Last edited by Smee; 06-07-2004 at 13:15.
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

Images

Default Down Quilt Weight

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber
    I have a HH Explorer and like the idea of the underquilt. I've been following some of the threads and like all the creativity.

I would like an underquilt that is 10-14oz, applied with either velcro or big buttons, and is a machine washable synthetic. I too have tinkered with the sewing idea, but the wife would think I'm nuts for spending that much time on something. Besides, my applied sewing skills are sub par.

So, if you guys put something together that is functional, practical, and priced right, "then I'll probably buy at least one!"

How is that for some feedback!

Thanks for your yankee ingenuity...
    Here’s the bottom line to quilt weight.

For a 48” x 78” finished quilt the ripstop nylon alone weighs over 8 oz.

The down fill weight varies based on the desired loft and fill quality. Price varies with fill quality but because lower fill quality requires more down, the cost is the same for 800 fill or 550 fill. Therefore, you might as well use 800 fill to get the lower weight. The weights for 800 fill down are:

1” loft 4.68 oz.
    1.5” loft 7.02 oz.
    2” loft 9.36 oz.
    2.5” loft 11.7 oz.

Loft equates to temperature rating. If you want a quilt capable of keeping you comfortable in sub-freezing temperatures you better be in the 2.5” loft range. Obviously that puts the quilt weight at nearly 20 oz. before you do any sewing. Add a draw string, cordlock(s) and velcro to make a foot box, or gross grain loops and shock cord to attach as a hammock underquilt and you add another couple of ounces or more. You can get a down quilt for under a pound, but it ain’t gonna keep you warm in the Spring and Fall.
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

On my last overnighter I did in WVA a couple of weeks ago, the temps got down into the low 20's. I was in my Clark Hammock.

I just took one of the cheapy Wall Mart open cell pad. Rolls up big but weighs hardly nothing.

I was surprised at how warm I stayed using that. It stayed pretty much in one place too.

Journal Entries
    Images

$175. My hammock cost less then that. Looks like I will try and make my own. This will be my first homemade project I have ever attempted. It probably will not be pretty.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Images

Default 175$ not a bad price considering

175$ is not that bad assuming that the quilts are fully baffled....there is a lot and I mean a lot of sewing to get a fully baffled quilt or sleeping bag...but dont despair...remember I got lucky with the WM Ponderosa and the CrazyCreek Crib...you could always find a used down sleeping bag and sew off what you intend to remove to make the quilt....most older hikers (me) have old sleeping bags in the closet to experiment with...........but again I dont fully agree that underquilts are the sole answer, you do have to figet with them in the attachments because any gap will give you a cold spot...the speer pod is another excellent answer to the cold problem but look at what flyfisher is doing at home-truly a testament to all of us, 'cepting those of us (me again) who cant really sew or refuse too! and with sil-nyl or 1.1 ripstop anyone-even me- can sew a taco (with slit to match the HH) and inside that taco anyone can stuff various types/amounts of insulation...the taco stops many of the airgaps/leeks and therefore coldspots that can plaque an underquilt, the taco also blocks rain and scatter from hitting your down underquilt, the taco is very light.....
    OK with all that said I have to agree with Sgt. Rock that a pad is always a good thing to have.
    2 Weeks ago in Florida I used a small piece of foam to creat the Sgt. Rock T under my shoulders to prevent coldwrap...that foam as Sgt has pointed out could be used to sit on or in a shelter....and it weighs very very little...I'm thinking dont go out without it....mine also acts as my packframe in the Mithril and I can vary the thickness of the foam depending on anticipated weather...on the winter hike of February in Virginia I used a long wide piece of closed cell foam in the CrazyCreekCrib/POnderosa combo and felt certain I was good to zeroF......
    Whatever you do find a solution for cold weather that works for you and your budget because sleeping in a hammock is like no other sleep in the world unless you could sleep in water....so again thanks to HammockHanger and Sgt.Rock for exposing me to hammocking!

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Default Baffles

To answer Medicine Man. Yes. They are fully baffled to the stated thickness with no-seeum netting. They fit well to the hammock and requiry no adjustments after attachment. Repeated ins and outs of the hammock to answer natures call do not require re-adjustment. It is as simple as getting into an empty hammock. Just you and your quilt or bag and what ever you choose as a pillow.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    $175. My hammock cost less then that. Looks like I will try and make my own. This will be my first homemade project I have ever attempted. It probably will not be pretty.
    I priced out the materials for $125 from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics and Thru Hiker's home made gear resources. That was for a 2" thick 800 down quilt. I'd probably give up the extra $50 just so I don't have to sew it. (Yes, I pay people to do work for me that I don't want to do.) Just FYI.

Images

Default Attn: Peter Pan and Smee

I am interested in purchasing a down underquilt from you, please tell me who to send the check to.
    Also, do I have a choice in thickness/loft?
    I have several cold weather solutions for my hammocks and I would like to get an underquilt that is as light as possible.
    Post when you can.
    thanks,
    MedicineMan

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Medicine Man,

Details sent via PM. Thanks for your interest. We're sure you'll be quite pleased withour under-quilt.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Images

Default Just to let all hammockers here know....

I have placed an order for an underquilt from the Smee-PeterPan combine....I put the check in the mail today and of course will keep all here informed of the process and the product. We have a 50mile section at the end of April, hopefully it will arrive for that trip and a full test.

Which models of Hennessy Hammocks will this underquilt fit?
    What is the estimated delivery time when an order is placed?

2XL

Images

2XL,

The under quilt will fit all models of the Hennessey with some simple adjustments to the attachment cords. I've also had one attached to an Amazona. Worked great.

Time from order to receipt is a more difficult question. We initiall ordered enough material to make 8 quilts to take to trail days. One of those (the first one we made) we have characterized as a prototype/demo model. It's functional but it's missing a few minor refinements that make the product more professional. Of the remaining seven, three are complete and four are assembled to the point of being ready to stuff. We expect to complete those within the next couple of weeks. Three of the seven are already spoken forand we have to keep a couple to be able to show at trail days. That leaves 2-3 still available for purchase before trail days and they could be in the mail as early as next week and for sure within a few weeks.

Our intent is to take orders in Damascus and order materials the next week. Once the materials arrive (usually a week to ten days) it will probably be a month before the first quilts are completed. Right now we're just two guys working on the weekends. We're guessing we can turn out 3-4 per month.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Smee
    Regards,
    Smee
    www.jacksrbetter.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++