WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default So you ran into a Park Ranger?? Do tell.....

I noticed a few earlier posts & threads about running into authorities on the trail... I am interested in both good & bad experiences, I am thinking it is a rare experience. Most of the folks that patrol parks latley need a gym. I almost fell over while on a back trail last year when they pulled up on a golf cart... How intimidating is that?

Looking forward to your replies.....

Mark
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Now that you mentioned it, they have retired yankees driving golf carts at Alexander Springs (blue blaze off FT) that question your right to be at the park when you blue-blaze in.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I met a NPS wildlife biologist this spring in the Smokeys. Very nice guy, lots of interesting info about what I was seeing and things to look for. He appeared in very good physical condition and was on foot

We came across a Ranger on the BMT in the Smokies last year. She was a cutie plus she was packing. I bet she drove a truck too. Girls with guns in trucks...it don't get any better. She said that she was suppose to shoot any boars that she saw but didn't think that she could.

Also last year had a Ranger in SNP check out my hiking permit in a parking lot. He was cool. He gave me an A- for filling out my permit correctly but down graded me because I kept two copies instead of just one.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Many many years ago... in the Whites, near Madison hut, I think. We were camped illegally. The ranger was nice about it, and gave us a choice: get a ticket (a federal crime, we were told) or pack up and walk to the hut. We chose the latter.

I work closely with NPS folks as a trail Crew Leader. My experiences have almost always been positive. Here in Chattanooga, I work with a great ranger. This evening, I worked with a retired NPS Ranger. He cut out 4 blowdowns on a trail we're restoring here in the military park.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I have ran into two. One at Thomas Knob Shelter in June and another in the Smokies last year. The Ranger at Thomas Knob was great as he said he hiked twenty the day before and was very informative and seemed to be in excellent shape. The Ranger in the Smokies was a Ridge Runner and man he had the biggest calves I have ever seen. He did the Smokies in three or four days a couple of times a summer. Nothing but respect for those two guys.

I was taking a break in the parking lot of Panorama (SNP) and this ranger drove up in his squad car, didn't even get out, and made me show him my permit. He looked really disappointed when I showed it to him, guess he was having a hard time meeting his quota.

Images

My several encounters with Rangers in the SNP have always been positive, friendly and informative. As to their appearance and possible condition they were/are: male, female, young, aging, skinny and large - kind of like the rest of America.

Furlough
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Blazer View Post
    Now that you mentioned it, they have retired yankees driving golf carts at Alexander Springs (blue blaze off FT) that question your right to be at the park when you blue-blaze in.
    Yankee's... really? I would love some autographs. Do you remember who? Yogi,Mel,Joe ???

I've met two Rangers in the Smokies who were actually out hunting boar close to Silers Bald shelter. They really couldn't have cared less about the hikers but seeming them walking out of the forest with their shotguns in hand was a bit startling.

Also saw a Ranger a couple years ago in Shenandoah, who, upon seeing me, pulled his car over and demanded to see my permit. Like someone alluded to earlier, he seemed a bit disappointed that I one.
    "How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live."

- Thoreau

The park rangers and game wardens in Fundy National Park are all super nice. Of course it always helps when your a mom or dad with a small child that's cute as heck. They give you a break wherever they can and are primarily interested in your safety and just want to know where you might be and if your going to be in the park or coming or going.

The Whites sound like there still run by the Sherriff of Nottingham or King George.
    Thought you guys won that one.

Images

I've had several ranger encounters on trails other than the AT.

One in Olympics was all business; "let me see your permit".

One in Glacier's back country was really cool. He asked where we were headed, then discussed the trail and the maintainers progress for 5-10 minutes since the high country was still in winter conditions. Made sure we had ice axes. He never asked for our permit.

After hiking from Many Glacier over a couple of passes and down to Goat Haunt, we were interviewed by the station ranger about trail conditions since we were the first to pass thru Stoney Indian Pass in about a week. The ranger was particularly interested in wildlife sightings and the pics on our camera. It is nice to assist in the website trail conditions updates.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Yankee's... really? I would love some autographs. Do you remember who? Yogi,Mel,Joe ???
    Good info everyone...I am still looking for the Yankees.

Last spring ('07), 3 rangers/ridgerunners in 6 days in the Smokies. All very nice, and all were probably in better shape than me! In 3 years of off and on hiking on the AT, those are the only officials I've ever seen while hiking (except Philmont, which doesn't count).

Lots of them Yankees live around here now or are they called Damn Yankees. hehe just kidding

Looks like everyone agrees that those Rangers out there are pretty decent folks.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    Lots of them Yankees live around here now or are they called Damn Yankees. hehe just kidding

Looks like everyone agrees that those Rangers out there are pretty decent folks.
    Damn Yankees? I must be dense...

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I was banned from Valley Forge Park for a year after getting caught peeing in the woods.........I was pretty far into a hike too! The ranger was pretty young and gungho.....I'm guessing he was new.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Journal Entries
    Images

OK lets try really hard to stay on topic - Cannot afford a thread swerve..

Now back to your regular scheduled question - Park Rangers.

Sorry to hear that Wonder - Valley Forge really never has its act together, I have "accidentally walked down a trail to see a x rated Photographer with a nature subject" about three times now, I stay away from that park now, (secretly it is a bit of a dump with the asbestos thing & all)
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 07-16-2008 at 23:13.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I've run into a few and all but one were nice folks. I, too, had an experience with a boar-hunter. She had a big shotgun and she was about 6'2'' but she had one of those little baby voices...sortof creeped me out a little but she was really cool.

My latest encounter was actually two rangers in the same trip. One stopped to make sure things were okay with my boyfriend and me because we had pulled over, just to be nice. We were double checking the map to make sure we were going the right way (we were). He was pretty hot too...anyway, the other one we saw on the trail and he warned us that he had seen two small, loner black bears and to be sure to hang our food. As we were nearing camp that night we ran into a black bear mother and her two adorable cubs. No harm came of it -- she just growled and the cubs climbed the trees and we went slowly on our way.

Park rangers are usually pretty cool people to chat with IMO. You can always ask them for useful information like if any water sources are dry or if there's been a lot of wildlife activity. They always have good stories

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++