WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

I remember one time when i was hiking in Maine one day in a slight drizzle and passing one of the many lakes there. I heard a voice in the middle of nowhere so stopped and went off trail a bit to check it out.
    Saw a ranger there hiding behind a tree with a 2 way radio and he was saying: they're getting out of their boat, can't make out what their using.
    I stepped up and said: Hello, mind if i ask what you were doing? He said they were keeping and eye on the fisherman there and making sure they were using artificial lures only. They were at least 2 miles from the nearest road.

Can think of lots of stories. Her's another one from my first PCT hike:
    Hiking with Rainman (of VT) he likes to get up early and get out of camp by 5 am. Then we get our hiking in and usually stop fairly early in the day.

One day we stopped just on the other side of a fairly big ford and set up camp. Now, hiking with Rainman has it's perks. He carries powered speakers, Blueman carried a walkman and I had my Martin Backpacker and we had just left Tuolumme so we had some good snacks along. So, we built a fire, it's about 3 or 4 in the afternoon and there were about 5 tents set up and jamming to some pink floyd. Rainman was mixing his famous Bicardi's 151 rum and cool aid (with water)
    This ranger comes along and takes off his boots and socks, puts his boots (big leather ones) back on without the socks, does the ford, and comes up to us and says: "What do you think you guys are doing?" We told him we were thru-hiking the PCT and he said: " yeah right, permits please. We all got out our permits and even 78 year old "Batch" was with us and we all showed them to him. He didn't say a word, just put his socks back on and continued along.

Saw several one day on the Foothills Trail.
    They were looking for an overdue hiker. Ask us to keep an eye out as well. Thats the only time I've ever seen one on any trail.
    All seemed professional and nice people.

As far as hunting hogs in the Smokies. That's the kind of job I need after retirement. Where do I sign up?

Images

I've only had one experience with LEOs on the A.T., I'm nor sure if they were rangers or police officers. There were two of them on 2 ATVs trying to catch up to some people on horses. They asked us if we'd seen the folks on horseback and when I said yes they followed up with how long since the horses had gone by. We told them it had been 10 or 15 minutes and off they went on their ATVs.

Somewhere between Monroe NC and Dinwiddie VA

I worked as a Seasonal Ranger with the NPS during the summers while in college. Most visitors to the parks who committed violations, really didn't know that they were. We always kept things cool and low key. You wanted to let people have the best experience possible.

Good book about life as a ranger in a California state park: "Nature Noir" by Jordan Smith. A good read.
    Last edited by rafe; 07-17-2008 at 08:59. Reason: title is Nature Noir, not Sierra Noir

Images

Default GSMNP Staff at Charlies Bunion

Last August I hiked from Newfound Gap to Charlies Bunion. Two very pleasant Park Staff were at the bunion talking with hikers. I believe one of them (in the background) was the backcountry / trails superintendent. They were on an overnight trip putting new signs up at various locations. It was a pleasure talking with them.
    He leads me beside still waters !!
    Happy Trails..... BrotherAL

I was with a group of 8 scouts and 2 other adults backpacking from Harpers Ferry to DC. We were on our last overnight of the trip at the campground at Swain's Lock. The kids bought a couple of hook, line, sinker,and doughball rigs at the store there and commenced to anglin'.
    A Park service ranger came by and we started chatting. About that time one of the kids got a bite. We both waked over to the kid and fish, the kid asked me to hold the stick with the line tied to it. As soon as I grabbed it, Ranger Rick asked to see my fishing license. I said I don't have one, I'm not fishing. Oh yes you are was the reply from our Federal protector. The guy was actually going to cite me till the boys practically humiliated him for being a jerk and setting a horrible example of abuse of power. I used to complain that kids were far more versed in their rights than in their responsibilities, but those guys saved me a day in court and a fine. Sometimes over privileged yuppie spawn are ok.

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I've only had one experience with LEOs on the A.T., I'm nor sure if they were rangers or police officers. There were two of them on 2 ATVs trying to catch up to some people on horses. They asked us if we'd seen the folks on horseback and when I said yes they followed up with how long since the horses had gone by. We told them it had been 10 or 15 minutes and off they went on their ATVs.
    The rangers had no clue if the horses were responsible for the hoof prints and steamin' piles of turds under the tires of the ATV huh?

Images

"But, you can get pretty close" - NC State Ranger to me after I calmly suggested there should be an indication that the summit of Mt. Mitchell is closed at the base of the trail, 3600 ft down at the bottom.

I expected him to at least understand my frustration at not being able to get to the very top

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Good book about life as a ranger in a California state park: "Sierra Noir" by Jordan Smith. A good read.
    I'm odering t today. Looked for it online and it's "Nature Noir". Looks like a great read.

Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    I'm odering t today. Looked for it online and it's "Nature Noir". Looks like a great read.
    You're right -- the title is Nature Noir. My mistake. Here's the Amazon link.

I was out in Eastern Oregon when a Forest ranger drove up and was going to cite me and the three Law Enforcement Officers who were camping out there. We came down a road, which had an open gate, drifted over with snow. She said we were illegally camped in an elk calving area. The LEO's asked her for some slack and said we would move immediately. She was adamant about ticketing us all. They were concerned for their jobs, and were going to go to the federal magistrate to fight the ticket. A month later, before we ever got to court, we received a notice to ignore the ticket since it was invalid. It was indeed an elk calving area and illegal to drive into..... in the SPRING...WHEN THE ELK CALVE! Not in January!!! The two sheriff's deputies later ran into some other Forest ranger deputies who said she was a new ranger and a pain in the a**. So much for the learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Good book about life as a ranger in a California state park: "Nature Noir" by Jordan Smith. A good read.
    Quote Originally Posted by beeman View Post
    Just ordered it too. Thanks for the recommendation. I purchased The Laws Field Guide to the Sierra Nevada for my upcoming stroll in the Sierra. It's an excellent book. If Nature Noir arrives by next Tuesday, I'm taking that on my trip too.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

THE LAST SEASON by Eric Blehm is another non-fiction book I'd highly recommend. I read it, gave it away, then purchased it for the company gift exchange last Christmas. My boss ended up with the book and really enjoyed it.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

A few summers ago, me and a friend shared a shelter on the Northville-Placid trail with a Adirondaks ranger. He was our age (22 at the time) and seemed a bit bored of being in the wilderness and starved for conversation. He built the sweetest campfire I have ever seen and then told us about a secret swimming spot on Long Lake about a quarter mile away. When we returned, he pulled out two bottles of Captain Morgan that he "had to confiscate from the previous shelter." One of the best nights I've ever had hiking. In the morning he gave us all the food he had left. I assume he just "confiscated" some more at the next shelter.

FWIW, Jordan Smith has first-hand observations about mountain lions and Lyme disease, as well.

Had a run in with an overofficious TVA cop at Fontana one time. He confiscated my unopened traveler that was under the drivers seat locked in my truck in the parking lot. I was at the shelter when the interrogation began. I've heard of lots of similar stories there. You'd think if they didn't Hiker Trash, they'd get rid of the shelter that they built.
    I had to drive to Bryson City the next morning to resupply before starting my hike.
    I know TVA cops aren't rangers, but they have jurisdiction on that tiny little stretch of Trail.

"Had a run in with an overofficious TVA cop at Fontana one time. He confiscated my unopened traveler that was under the drivers seat locked in my truck in the parking lot. I was at the shelter when the interrogation began...."
    Why do I get the feeling there is lots more to this story?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudcap View Post
    Yankee's... really? I would love some autographs. Do you remember who? Yogi,Mel,Joe ???
    Come to think of it I think they were Boston Red Sox.

Bob, the ridge-runner in the Smokies 2002 was a good guy. He was telling us about the things he hauls out of Icewater Springs shelter cuz it's so close to Newfound. People, stop dragging ad leaving things at Icewater Shelter.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

I was just at the first shelter outside"north" of Standing Bear Farms last year sitting down at a busted picnic table cooking lunch.. (with Freebird, Moses) when I look up an there is a gun "holsterd" in my face.. well Freebird was smoking a pipe, An the response from the cool Ranger was whats you smoking in their? Hey Free replies American Spirt tobbaco.. Would you like some .. Ranger replies shure An that chat bagan. Nice fellow checks that land 2 times a week.. ON HORSE BACK.. Thats how i did not here him coming.. Told me about a great place to get bible feed an BLUEBERRY PANCAKES.. Keep on Hiking..

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++