WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: John Muir Trail

Images

Default John Muir Trail

I am starting the JMT on Sept. 1, 2008 Being an Eastern hiker and AT thru Hikers is there any gear changes i would need. How are the bugs and weather that time of year. I am looking to go ultra light 20 mile days. The bear vault is a 2 plus pound bummer is there anything lighter.

Maybe a ball cap or sunglasses. Where are you starting?

You'll love that trail. 20 miles per day is definitely doable.

The bear vault thing is a definite bummer. I've done that trail 5 times and have yet to see a bear. (But i don't camp where the masses do)

Bear canister is required. Permits also. Keep in mind that you're at very high altitudes on most of that trail. I'll be starting from the northern end next week -- most of our hike (we're only doing 70-100 miles) will be at 9,500 feet or above. A couple of passes go to 12,000 feet or so. I'm also bringing sunglasses, a light-colored hat, lots of sun block, and a light, long-sleeved, loose-fitting nylon shirt to hike in. I figure the sun at 10,000 feet can cook you in short order.

I don't know how well the trail is marked -- but I'm bringing a GPS as well (something I've never used or needed on the AT.) One of our challenges will be to navigate a side trail to the east (Rte. 395) when our time is up.

Images

Ice ax. Glisading down the back sides of passes in the snow is a rush not to be missed - plus safer in the mornings when the trail ice hasn't softened up (self arrest). It is beautiful - camp at Muir hut.

Happy hiking!

TTF

I doubt he or she will be able to do much glissading in Sept.

Terrapin mentions altitudes above 12,000' and dips to 9,500'
    Actually it starts at 14,500' and goes down to about 4,000'

You can acclimate a lot easier by going the other way though.

I've learned taking a fishin pole is a good idea. I have one of those telescoping ones.
    oh yeah, and a camera

By the way, i just saw on the news that fires are threateneing the western entrance to the park. Brings back memories of my hike there in '90 when 2 fires closed 2 roads going into the park so they evacuated the whole park.

the only people allowed in were people with back country permits. We had just gotten a 25 day permit a few days before and were ready to star our hike. But we couldn't get down into the valley. So we hiked down.

a ranger spotted us down there and screeched to a halt, did a 360 and came after us. We calmly showed him our permits and he left us alone. So, we had Yosemite village to ourselves as well as much of he JMT.

Only bummer was that smoke took many of the views away. I hope you guys have better luck with that.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Trail Trooper View Post
    I am starting the JMT on Sept. 1, 2008 Being an Eastern hiker and AT thru Hikers is there any gear changes i would need. How are the bugs and weather that time of year. I am looking to go ultra light 20 mile days. The bear vault is a 2 plus pound bummer is there anything lighter.
    Just got back from 2 weeks on the JMT. The trail is in good shape and well graded. The hardest part is getting used to the elevation. I had a headache for the first couple days. I used all of my gear from the AT with the addition of a bear canister. The other big difference you will notice about the JMT compared to the AT is way less social interaction with other hikers. NO shelters to meet up with people at the end of the day.

Not sure about the 20 plus miles a day thing I did one 20 mile days and it was pretty hard. Unless you are used to the elevation and in great shape I would not plan to hike 20 miles a day for the entire JMT. The elevation profiles look easy but the high elevation makes up for it. most people recommend around 3 weeks for the trail, give or take a couple days.

You can save some weight, but increase costs, by doing lots of mail drops, Tuolumne, reds, vvr, mtr. Trying to resupply at reds or vvr without a mail drop would be difficult, expensive and maybe impossible.

VVR was a great place to stop on the trail. Everyone there was very hiker friendly. We had a great time. The food in the restaurant is very good but expensive. And did I mention beer and wine. You can tent there for free.

reds is close to the trail and has a good but pricey restaurant as well. You will find that everything on the trail is expensive, they have to go through a lots of trouble to get food and other items to reds, MTR and expescially VVR, so it should cost more.

We did not have much trouble with the bugs but things might be different in September.

Drop me a message if you would like more info on the trail.
    Pootz 07

Default Prepare for the dryness

In addition to the sun, the dryness is a blessing in many ways i.e. sweat doesn't constantly pour down your forehead and dishes dry quickly. But because of the dryness, I suggest bringing lip balm, nostril spray, eyedrops, and lotion to prevent chaffing. I never chafe on the AT or any Eastern hiking but the JMT is a whole different ballgame.

[quote=Pootz;673549]........We did not have much trouble with the bugs but things might be different in September....[quote]

No - my hike began August 30, '06 about the same time as Trail Trooper and bugs were never an issue.

Instead of resupplying at VVR, check out mono hot springs, they have a PO and its a hitch from VVR

Images

Default Shut down after Sept 15

Bugs....not a problem at all
    Cooler weather... 30 - 32 degrees some nights
    Late August thru Oct Chance of Thunder storms and even Snow sometimes
    we were in a storm with pea size hail...late August.
    Late Sept they even closed Hwy 120 for a couple of days due to snow.

Biggest thing is remember everything is shut down after Sept 15
    all your resupply points....etc...

It is a wonderful trail...you will need plenty of chap stick and if you can, do not forget some light weight gloves...hands sunburn quickly.
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

Images

http://www.backpack45.com/johnmuirtrail.html

Nice link for some info and blogs...
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

Images

Thanks for all the good info keep it coming. I would like to do the JMT in 3 or even 4 weeks but I could only get 2 weeks off work Gotta work to fund the adventure.

I like the hennessy hammock but I heard there is not a good item to bring on the JMT what about a bivi or Tarp

Thanks for all the good info keep it coming. I would like to do the JMT in 3 or even 4 weeks but I could only get 2 weeks off work Gotta work to fund the adventure.

I like the hennessy hammock but I heard there is not a good item to bring on the JMT what about a bivi or Tarp
    great time of the year to tarp it

Yeah, the hammock is not a good idea. Not that many trees. It's alpine.

I can't imagine sleeping in a bivy every night. Tarp would be great as long as you can set it up without trees. (not that there's not trees but it's not like you can find one anywhere near where you prefer to camp) I'd bring a tarp for emergency and sleep under the stars.

20 mile days might take hiking from sunup to sundown. If you have to cut the trail short, hike from Whitney to Tulomme or even Red's Meadow. Going SOBO doesn't give you as many options for cutting 50 miles or so out.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I'd bring a tarp for emergency and sleep under the stars.
    Right on. Stars are beautiful and it barely ever rains. I think I had two nights for an hour or so. It is different on the JMT than the AT - when it rains on the JMT, you feel psyched and want to go stand in it. : )

Happy hiking!

TTF
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 07-29-2008 at 09:49. Reason: corrected closing quote tag

Images

Never Tarped Before What Is A Good Tarp And Are The Easy To Use

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Never Tarped Before What Is A Good Tarp And Are The Easy To Use
    You Should Probably Just Go Get A Cheapo Tarp From The Hardware Store To Try It Out. Probably 12 - 15 Bucks.
    ~~^^^~~^^~^^^~~~^^^^^~^~
    Those who cannot remember the past, are condemned to repeat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    Ice ax. Glisading down the back sides of passes in the snow is a rush not to be missed - plus safer in the mornings when the trail ice hasn't softened up (self arrest). It is beautiful - camp at Muir hut.

Happy hiking!

TTF
    Ice ax probably won't do much good in August.

I don't recall any nice flat spots near the Muir hut and most of the ground are there is rocky. You can get much better sites down around the lakes to the south.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoForty View Post
    ...I don't recall any nice flat spots near the Muir hut and most of the ground are there is rocky. You can get much better sites down around the lakes to the south.
    Or to the north. We camped at Wanda Lake. It's cool to hike up to Muir Pass in the early morning.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++