WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Crab cakes

Default Crab cakes

bacon be darned...next time out i'm taking some crab cakes....md style
    Last edited by Bulldawg; 08-02-2008 at 18:36.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mmmm sounds good to me. Wonder if they can be dehydrated? But they probably wouldn't be worth a crud rehydrated.

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    md style? there's another kind? accept no imitations!

Maryland covers a bit of latitude and the crab cake varies quite a bit South to North and from the Eastern Shore to Ball'imer. Never really had a bad one and a great one is a joy to behold. St Mary's county crab balls and hush puppies with a cold beer can put a nice touch on the day.

I guess we know what you had for supper.

Caught enuff blue crabs to fill a small cooler last month at the beach, All the meat went into crabcakes.
    Goin back next week and should be able to catch more and bigger crabs, and hope to castnet a cooler full of shrimp.

Recently there was a thread asking what foods we craved the most for town stops and getting off the Trail. I believe I was the only one who said crab cakes.

I was on the Eastern Shore last week in Crisfield and Chincoteague. The crab cakes and all the seafood was delicious. If you ever get to Chincoteague, try the cream-of-crab soup at Don's seafood. Out of this world!

I grew up on the eastern shore ( Wye River) and nothing beats catching your own crabs steaming them in beer, makeing your own cakes. and during full moons heading out on the boat with a headlight catching softshells. for a good cake all you need is alot of back fin meat, old bay or our own home made seasoning, and the yellow stuff from the middle of the crab to hold it toghter if you dont want to use eggs

Although this is not the ultimate recipe for crab cakes it works well on the trail and mayo can be substituted for eggs on longer trips.
    . 2eggs
    .1tsp lemon juice
    .2cups stove top stuffing (canister chicken type)
    .2cans 6oz each crab meat drained
    .2tbs marg. or butter or oil

Beat eggs or mayo in 2/3 cup of water and lemon juice, add rest of ingredients make into patties and then brown on each side in butter or oil.

If you want to kick them up a bit you can add chopped onion or red bell pepper

These are pretty tasty on the trail, give them a shot !

2010 complete

recipe: I just use the one on the back of the old bay can and reduce the bread.

I crave blue crab anytime. I grew up catching them with the chicken necks and string. Now I'm in the foothills of NC. Anytime I'm near the coast, cc it is.

One exception is when I'm in ME. In August, we hiked 2 weeks in ME. We spent more on lobster rolls than lodging. Then a big final dinner of lobsters and clams at my brother's home before we left. That's living.

Crustaceans are tasty.

Why did you folks have to start talking 'bout crab cakes! I'm in the midst of TMJ flare with jaw pain that is keeping me on an oatmeal and soup diet for the time being. I went to a wedding last night, and crab cakes were on the menu. I thought that perhaps I could enjoy those, if only by avoiding the crust and eating the soft center of the crab cakes. No dice. Even that hurt. The only good thing is the 15 pounds I've lost in the last 3 weeks, but I don't recommend this method of weight loss.

Crab cakes . . . mmmmm. At least I can dream.

Best crab cakes I've ever had was on a bike trip around the east coast and I stopped in here http://www.cityofcrisfield.com/

Images

Don't forget a bowl of she-crab soup to go with it.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Just about every bushel caught here goes to the MD area. They pay top dollar.

Crawdad cakes. Try it. Seriously, just substitute crayfish when in the mountains.
    It has been said that a journey begins with a single step. I say hogwash! It starts with a dream.

On my last visit to New Orleans I went down to the french market to buy a few pounds of Crawfish Tail meat to take home. Product of China.
    I dropped them quick. I know I'm silly but...................
    The world economy sucks.
    I know this won't happen but the only thing I want to see imported is coffee beans.
    But I'm only Nearly Normal.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Stuffed Deviled Crabs

I prefer Stuffed Deviled Crabs instead of crab cakes, that often come out somewhat dry. Try Stuffed Deviled Crabs instead "and you'll never look back"!

2010 complete

deviled crab is a quick way to ruin a crab cake. The problem many places have when trying to duplicate the MD crab cake is that the add too much junk. It cannot be somewhat dry if its just crabmeat and just a tad of bread to hold it together.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Deviled Makes it Better

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    deviled crab is a quick way to ruin a crab cake. The problem many places have when trying to duplicate the MD crab cake is that the add too much junk. It cannot be somewhat dry if its just crabmeat and just a tad of bread to hold it together.
    You missed that one. 'Deviled' is not an attempt to just duplicate a Maryland crab cake, but rather a way to make it BETTER! From what I see of the multiple recipes of each, the deviled one is simpler, with less 'junk'.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Looks & Tastes

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    You missed that one. 'Deviled' is not an attempt to just duplicate a Maryland crab cake, but rather a way to make it BETTER! From what I see of the multiple recipes of each, the deviled one is simpler, with less 'junk'.
    And, not only does the Deviled Crab look more like a crab, but it tasts more like one too!! So there

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++