WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How would you rate Frogg Toggs?

I see Frogg Toggs on a lot of peoples gear lists, could I get a little feed back on them. I was looking at their Pro Action Suit.
    Pros/Cons.

Thanks in advance.
    2XL

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2XL
    I see Frogg Toggs on a lot of peoples gear lists, could I get a little feed back on them....
    Not sure what their Pro Action suit is, but I have pants and a jacket, as does my wife, and our daughter Sarah (who probably got to use hers today or will this week on the AT). We love 'em. They are light weight, almost flimsy, but we've never yet had a rip or tear. They are windproof, too. Plus, they're cheap compared to Gore-Tex!

Downside? Hmmmm.. they're not fashionable? LOL

I'm not called "Rain Man" fer nuthin'.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2XL
    I see Frogg Toggs on a lot of peoples gear lists, could I get a little feed back on them. I was looking at their Pro Action Suit.
    Pros/Cons.
    I've had mine for about a year, but I'm not sure what model. I love them. They are very light, waterproof, adequately breathable, and I've worn the jacket as a windbreaker over fleece, down to 15 degrees (while moving). In fact, it's the only shell I pack. I have the pants but have only worn them a couple times.

I'm just a dayhiker and weekender, but I disagree with all those who say they aren't durable. I've snagged mine a dozen times, and they absolutely don't rip. Pack straps haven't rubbed them through. They're made from a paper-like material, kind of like tyvek. If you've ever tried to tear a tyvek mailing envelope, you'll get an idea of how tough this material is.

Some people don't like the hood, but I have no problem with its coverage and visibility to the sides.

The biggest criticism I have is elastic at the sleeves and around the bottom. Some sort of adjustable velcro at these locations would be nice to vent heat.

Oh, and they're kind of ugly. Mine are a shade of brown that reminds me of years of cigarette smoke on a barroom ceiling.

Thumbs up Better than sliced bread

Used these babies for more than a year. They wear like iron. They keep me dry. In my ultralite pack, the coat is my only wind breaker and the pants are my only long pants while spring/summer hiking. I have occasionally worn them while sleeping for warmth.

Others have commented on the hood, but I usually use a hat when it is raining, unless it is coming down in a 30 mph wind.

The elastic sleeve cuffs work fine to keep my hands inside the sleeve when it is cold outside.

I have the green version. They are ugly. That, of course, is just fine.

I got mine from the underwear guys, $60 for the coat and pants. I have seen them at Bass Pro Shops and at outdoor conventions for the same price.

Oh, by the way, I really like them. Really, really, really....
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

Section Hiker, 1,040 + miles, donating member peter_pan's Avatar
    Images

Frogg toggs are great but there is a lighter and less expensive answer. O2 rainwear by Rainshield weighs about 2.5 oz less and can be bought for around $50. The yellow is the lightest. Blue is now available with the reg waist (vice Bib model) better color, but an oz heavier due to slightly different jacket design. Very similiar in technology to the frog tog. Mine went 800 mile of AT in Three sections. They were all I had plus one fleece shirt, 2 pr of smartwool, one extra skivey,for a late Mar start at Spinger to pearsburg VA. The little stuff sacks of the same material make excellent mittens. And yes they are comftable to wear with hiking poles. Still using mine, great shape.

One risk, wouldn't want to take them bushwacking in a no trail situation.

These and frog togs breath better than gortex. much better IMHO. It takes guts to wear the yellow pants around town while all else is in the laundry. You could look like this . But they are the lightest,breathable, waterproof jacket and pants out there about 9.5 oz total for the set.
    ounces to grams
    WWW.JACKSRBETTER.COM home of the Nest and No Sniveler underquilts and Bear Mtn Bridge Hammock

Default Frog Toggs

I wore my blue Frog Toggs for 600 plus mi on the AT in 2002. The jacket was exposed to the sun the whole way, either on my back or tied onto my pack. I wore the pants a few times. I wear the jacket on section hikes, and even up and down Asheville's city streets. It's a great windbreaker. I'll buy another set if these ever wear out.

Images

My Frogg Toggs anorak had 450 AT miles, 250 Smokys miles, and 2658 PCT miles before it gave up the ghost and found a home in a landfill somewhere. I've found them, in my unscientific opinion, to be at least as waterproof as Goretex XCR and more breathable. Durability is something of an issue, but where mine broke down were under the arms and along the shoulders and kidneys. They provide a surprising amount of warmth and are very light. The fit it the big issue: Just awful. The hood is non-functional, the gut area is sprawling, the sleeves are far too long, the body is too short. I got a Rainshield jacket in hopes of finding a better fit and just to try something new. For the AT, PCT, or CDT, I don't think you'll find a more appropriate rain jacket.

Default Frogg Toggs

I bought Frogg Togg rain pants last year. I'm pleased with them. But, while doing some off trail peak bagging, I did tear them. So, they are for on trail use only, and not for off trail use. Now, in summer, they are the only pair of long pants that I take with me. Light and cheap.

I'm using the Marmont PreCip jacket for a rain jacket.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peter_pan
    Frogg toggs are great but there is a lighter and less expensive answer. O2 rainwear by Rainshield weighs about 2.5 oz less and can be bought for around $50. The yellow is the lightest. Blue is now available with the reg waist (vice Bib model) better color
    I own the yellow O2 stuff (hence the name) it is quite delicate and will snag quite easily. The blue O2 is more durable. As it has an additional layer of something. The blue O2 stuff very comparable to the Frogg Toggs.

For those that subscribe to www.backpackinglight.com, they recently posted a scientific "primer" on the various WB materials. O2's gear (and I assume Frogg Toggs as well) is just below single layer GoreTex (which no one uses as it "plugs-up" with body oils rather quickly) and eVent (the latest WB fabric on the market). It is significately "more breathable" than GoreTex-XCR (Gore's latests and greatest) and those other "Gore-wannabe" fabrics like Marmot's, Columbia's Omni-Tech, etc.

In order of "breathablility" (the transportation of water from the inside out)

1. Single layer Gore-Tex (again you can't find this stuff as it sucks in the real world).
    2. eVent and Schoeller Dryskin Extreme are tied. The later sounds like great stuff as it allows some air movement as well!! Which is a big plus.
    3. Microporous polyproplylene frabrics (O2's stuff and Frogg Toggs)
    4. Gore-Tex XCR
    5. The rest of the Gore-wannabes are 30-40% "lower" than XCR
    One thing to consider is that breathability doesn't mean "comfort". As most of these materials block air flow which traps quite a bit of heat between your body and the coat. This is why pit-zips and "core body" vents are important as they help move the hot air out of the microclimate between the coat and your body.
    Last edited by tlbj6142; 03-03-2004 at 16:45.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Thumbs up on the FroggToggs!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rumbler
    Thumbs up on the FroggToggs!
    I like that material so much, I'm wondering whether it could be used for a breathable tarp or tarptent.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default FrogToggs

Probably one of the better purchases I made during my thru-hike in 2003. Bought mine in Hot Springs and carried them all the way to Katahdin. Still wear them now at home.
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I agreee. They are the best form of raingear i've found. Especially after the rain this year I learned that nothing is gonna keep you completely dry, but these do the best job IMO. Carried em from Port Clinton to Katahdin. Not too fashionable but they do the trick.

Hey, has anyone found a way to de-stink them? I washed them after I got home and they still kinda smell funky. I wanna wear them at home as rain gear but I can't stand the smell in the real world!
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

In case anyone's looking for Frogg Toggs, they are available (limited supply) at an outdoor store in Farmington, PA called Woodland Outdoors. The store is moving locations and trying to reduce inventory. While there last week, they were going for $36 for the jacket & pants. Tan, Brown, Blue and Green are what I recall the colors in stock...

Lots and Lots of other stuff reduced significantly too! I got a North Face Cats Meow 20* bag for $70 (new in box!)
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

I own and use FTs. I think they are a fair shell in cold wind. They work well for rain in town but I get pretty wet in steady rain hiking.
    Pete

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

I have the basic FT jacket/pants set and love 'em. Like others, I used mine as a windproof shell, and ended up wearing them often in camp or while doing laundry. Only trouble I had out of them were sweat buildup on the inside of the pants (the one time I wore them while moving) ... and the only time I got a hole in them was due to a campfire ember or cigarette. I'd recommend them, especially if you can find them on sale.

Like Bucky (husband of Bear Charmer Sue) says: "the only thing wrong with Frogg Toggs is you have to ask someone else if it's raining out!"
    They are the driest raingear i've seen except for a rubber suit. I wear them on my motorcycle in the monsoons of thailand and the only thing that ever got wet was at the neck where the zipper wasn't up all the way.
    They breathe better than any other raingear i've ever tried too.
    We've been selling them at the gathering for 6 years now and no complaints except for wearing out.
    I've already had a set last 2 1/2 thru hikes. The butt wore out where i slid down the mtns in the snow out west.
    We sell them for $65. But if you say you're from Whiteblaze, we'll sell them for $60. (sorry if that seems like an ad on whiteblaze) (if folks think so, i can retract it) theunderwearguys.com

Love 'em. Can't beat the price and weight!
    <A HREF="http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/"TARGET="Jackie's BLOG">http://www.jackielbolen.blogspot.com/</A>

Registered User michael rowlands's Avatar
    Images

Default frogg togs

Frogg Togs are made of the construction material Tyvec. You can buy it at any building supplies store. There are also Has Mat suits available for asbestos cleaning made of the same stuff.

Registered User michael rowlands's Avatar
    Images

Default Frogg toggs

I have carried Gortex for years but my outfit weighed in at 2.5 pounds. I did the whole A.T. with them but have ordered a set of the Froggs which have been claimed by E-bay seller at 12 ounces. I will do a southbound from Katahdin thru N.H. in July. The two pound weight loss will be good on my back.
    They are on E-Bay at present time in xxl for me at 26 dollars free shipping. This is the best price I could find anywhere. FYI

Rowmin Goat

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++