WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    Images

Default BIG FOUR weight?

[QUOTE=MedicineMan]...but I'm thinking about a tube longer than it needs to be and a [roll top closure] then when rolled down to the calculated length it needs to be to work as a sleep pad it is then 'pressurized' to give support.....the roll top closure you are familiar with in dry bags used in kayaking....it is then not a valve to fail, not a metalic machine to fail, gives a opening the same opening size as the tube itself for filling/stuffing/ and insulation removal or addition.

Point me to a web site where I can see what you are talking about. [roll top closure] I have a few copies of Sea-Kayaker but didn't see anything in the "add's" section like you are talking about. I do think I have see the closure thing you are talking about, just can't find it now.

I see no real reason why your idea for the Primaloft will not work. I would like to get some Polarguard "D" (I think that is the one BackpackingLight.com is using for the Cocoon Jacket they are working on) and try it in some "wet weather' gear.

As for the hammock there are a lot of ways to make it warmer. I want something simple, light and compact. I am going with Down because of the weight and I think I can pack it smaller than with a synthetic. I want as few parts as possible following the KISS theory. Just how I will end up doing it may only come after working through several different ideas. It also may not work but if it doesn't I hope it leads me to something that will.

American Idiot
    Images

2370grams=83.5 ounces=5lbs, 3.5oz

Sehr gut job going super light. That's pretty darned light, indeed!
    How many more of our soldiers must die in Iraq?

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default gardenville.......

http://www.preparedness.com/watdrybag.html
    http://www.familyonboard.com/Seattle...roDryBags.html

just to give you an idea.....would easily worth with thin long bats of primaloft but not with down unless you sewed a baffle at the end of each tube-which shouldnt be a big problem since you can sew anyway!

Images

Default Big Four?

I have seen that bag. I think REI sells them. I believe they use something that is called a "Side Release Buckle" that is somehow sewn onto the end of the bag material. Seattle Fabric sells those buckles and I have some. I use them on packs and other things I make.

There is another kind of clip?? that slides over the material of the bag after folding it a few times. Like a Hair Pin. I think they can be used to close the end of plastic food bags.

I am going to a make a tube of silk gauze (like a cut off panty hose leg) to hold my Down. I have the silk gauze, it is .45oz per square yard. I use it for bug net since it is softer and just as good as no-seeum. Then I just slide the Down tubes into the Poly Tube Air mattress or what ever, blow the Poly Tubes up, then twist it tight and tie a knot. I have to see the Down first but I may sew across the tube (baffle) every 8 to 10 inches to keep the Down from moving or packing up in one spot. I have other ideas for those Down tubes that some of the "faint" of heart might rise an eyebrow to when they hear them.

I should start an Ultra-Lite Poly Tube Backpacking Gear business.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Default The Solemates

BIG FOUR that we used on our 2004 thru-hike:
    (It will change drastically for our planned 2006 PCT hike)

(My) Pack: Gregory Z-Pack, 3 lbs 3 oz.
    (Wife's) Pack: Gregory Reality, 4 lbs 10 oz.

(Shared) Tent: Mountain Hardwear Waypoint 2 (with stakes, groundcloth, string, etc.), 3 lbs 14 oz.

(Shared) Sleeping Bag:
    Bottom: No-name Fleece Liner, about 1 lb
    Top: The North Face Cat's Meow 20*, 2 lbs 12 oz (and 12 years old)

Because we started February 1, I carried a 5* Mountain Hardwear Tioga (3 lbs 5 oz and 5 years old) until Pearisburg, where I switched to the 20*. My wife carried a 0* LL Bean Something-or-another (about 3lbs) until somewhere in the mid-Atlantic. In the end, for summer hiking, we used the above liner/Cat's Meow combination.

(My) Sleeping Pad: Full Length Z-Rest, 15 oz
    (Wife's) Sleeping Pad: 3/4 Length Z-Rest, 9 oz

I carried the tent and liner. My total weight was 9 lbs. exactly for the BIG FOUR.

My wife carried the heavier bag. Her total weight was 8lbs 5 oz.

My big four from my recent section hikes has not exceeded 7 lbs 9 oz.

Gregory G-Pack (Medium) = 2 lbs 12 oz
    Speer Hammock & Tarp = 2 lbs
    Down Peapod (w/ 1 oz overstuffing) = 1 lbs 13 oz
    Down Top Blanket = 1 lb

The last outing it was warmer, so I shaved a pound and left the top blanket at home.

Next outing in cool weather, I plan to try out a Jacks R Better Down Underquilt with my Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker and swap out the HH tarp with the larger Speer Tarp. With this set up, I figure that my BIG FOUR will be 7 pounds even.

Gregory G-Pack (Medium) = 2 lbs 12 oz
    Hennessy Ultralite Backpacker with substituted Speer Tarp = 2 lbs (maybe 1-2 oz more . . . have not weighed difference between tarps)
    Jacks R Better Nest Underquilt = 1 lb 4 oz
    Speer down top blanket = 1 lb

Here is my August, 2004 Big Four:

GoLite Breeze pack
    Gosamer Gear NightLite Sleeping Pad (torso length)
    Mont-Bell U.L. Super Stretch Down Hugger #7 sleeping bag
    Outdoor Research double bug bivy, in a silnylon stuff sack

USPS postal scale 3 lbs. 9.2 oz.

The PostMistress said, "My purse weighs more than that."

And I thought "Go take a hike" was an insult...

I, one of the humble aforementioned newbies, would like to present my list for the inspection of the great and wise ultralighters...

Pack:Gregory Deva 60 4lb 14oz before modification, unsure of weight without frame
    Bag:WM High Lite w/ silk liner 21 oz
    Tent:half of MSR Hubba hubba ~2lb
    Pad:Therm a rest S-Lite 11oz

Grand total: Roughly 8lb, but working on less.

I've tried the Go Lite bags and think they're great, but NONE FIT! When is GoLite going to realize that women backpack, too? The only thing I've found is the breeze, which won't have enough support. Sigh.

Erin

Images

3 season and week trek:
    Go Lite Speed 31 oz
    Big Agnes Horse Thief 24 oz
    Big Agnes Air Core 19 oz
    Big Agnes Seedhouse 1 UL “Fastfly” 35 oz
    Total: 109 oz 6lbs 13 oz

Winter:
    Kelty Red Cloud 4500 82 oz
    Big Agnes Pomer Hoit 43 oz
    Big Agnes Ins Air Core 20 oz
    Big Agnes Seedhouse 1UL 45 oz
    Total: 11 lbs 14oz
    Ouch I thought they said I would love winter backpacking!
    TN Bandit

Pack; Maraposa 14 to 17.4 oz maxed, with a frame and belt.

Black diamond Mega mid ultralite 9x9' about 2 pounds and a one pound ground sheet. But I can get 8 people sitting up in here in the rain. 9x9.

Sleeping pad; thin light 1.5oz 19.5x57" with the 13oz ultralite thermarest also added in winter.

Sleeping bag, either my $60 Tall Marmot none baffled ventura with the full zipper for a cape jacket to at 24oz right now for this week till the cold comes. or my 45oz big Agnis lost ranger for fall and winter and got room to move. Both bags excede my warmth AND MY MOVING AROUND I NEED or I tear out your seams kicking your bag apart. I love my lost ranger bag more than any bag out there if you gave it to me. Just the way it is.

Right now I got a old Keltey Flight[ copy of the cloud] till I get my Mariposa soon , you know. Anyway I stipped the flight to under 3 pounds and its still got the better padded belt and packstaps and the frame to and the top zipper pocket. I seem to tried it with and without the frame and my back likes the way the frame leaves my arms totaly free of the pack. So even my worst weight is 9 pounds with a frame pack with real kety belt and shoulder straps intstead of the webing style included. Backpacker did a bad review but do they have real testers sometimes? It fits like a kelty glove to me. Cept it didn't weight under 2 pounds like they said unless I use the webbing belt and shoulder harnesses.

But my weight with 4-5 days food and 32 ozwater and everything my pro fleece Retro jacket and my red ledge rain weather gear, Olympus 400 camera, guide books, 3 ultramax socks,headlamp, brasslite F stove and fuel, ultralite and ultracheap polypro at campmor [I don't belive that hype only that the new stuff will wash 100 times longer, it still smells] its still never 20 pounds ever out the door or something is wrong I tell myself.. Even with my 13oz Montrail Hurricane ridge Gore tex shoes with rocky moutian low gaitors in it the top of my pack and 4 ounce jogging shorts under my street cloths.

See I got a fish scale at k mart for $6 to 50 pounds. and I got a small ounce scale to that is the key to playing around with gear. I never leave the house with 20 pounds. No smoke, the $6 kmart fish scale tells me all. Time has come today.

40 Degrees and above........................................ Granite Gear Virga...21.4 oz. Integral Design Sil Tarp 2, 8 stakes, kelty trip tease line, and stuff sack...18.6 oz. Western Mountaineering Megalite 30 deg. 25.5 oz. Thermarest Ultra Light, 72X20... 23.7 oz. Silnylon ground cloth, 36X85...3.4 oz. Total 92.6 oz.= 5.79 lbs.
    Singletrack

Default Big four

Homemade pack 18oz
    Homemade shelter 21 w/stakes & Lines
    Quilt modified army patrol bag 24 oz
    18x28x3/8 closed cell pad 6 oz

No ground cloth, shelter has floor and bug netting sewn in.

Total: 69 oz or 4.31 lbs

"KISKIL"

Default support for Breeze pack

"I've tried the Go Lite bags and think they're great, but NONE FIT! When is GoLite going to realize that women backpack, too? The only thing I've found is the breeze, which won't have enough support. Sigh."

"Erin"
    I am not certain what type of support you are looking for or need. Jenny Jardine used a slightly lighter version of the Breeze since it came from the Jardine design. My closed cell pad which is only 18 x 28 forms the frame of my pack, space is filled by not overstuffing lofty items such as sleeping bags, insulating clothing etc. For a thrmarest pad do a search for the mithril pack system and it talks about using the thermarest inflatable to form the framework for a frameless pack.

Skysappr
    "KISKIL"

Images

:banana wieght of my big 4

thompson peak pack 10.5 oz
    mountian hardware phantom 32 sleeping bag 21 0z
    brawny tarp tent with 8 titanium stakes 24 oz
    mt washinton high country sleeping pad 50 in long 5.5 oz
    total wieght 61 oz or 3.81 lbs

And I thought "Go take a hike" was an insult...

Skysappr, I'm looking with something wiht a hip belt, also, the breeze is only meant to hold up to 20 lb, and I may need to cary more than that at times. I was planning on using the Therm a rest S-light and trimming it to size, so that wouldn't work to well as a support for the bag. Thanks for the reply, though. :-)

Erin

Section Hiker Shot Gun from GA to NH Deerleg's Avatar
    Images

Default Big 4: My lightest and my latest

My lightest:

Bivy and home made quilt: 25 oz.

Home made tarp: 17 oz.

Cut and modified close cell pad: 5 oz.

Eureka Incline modified pack: 34 oz.

Total: 5lbs 1 oz

My latest:

Denali 30 degree bag: 36 oz.

HH Explorer Ultra-light: 37 oz.

Same pad 5oz.

Same pack: 34oz.

Total: 7lbs
    Kevin

Ok I'll bite, not ultralight but certainly comfurtable...

Pack: Osprey Aether 60 54oz
    Tent:SD UltraLightning 55oz Fastpack mode 36 oz
    Bag: SD Metamorph 48oz W/O extra layer 32oz
    Pad: Thermarest Ultra 22oz
    Total: Cold wt 179 oz (11.18lbs)
    Warm wt 144 oz (9lbs)

Pack: ULA P2 - 36 oz or 2.25 lbs
    Tent: 8x10 siltarp - 16 oz or 1 lb, or Shires Tarptent Squall - 30 oz or 1.88 lbs
    Sleeping Bag: Moostone Minima (allergic to down) - 37 oz or 2.5 lbs
    Pad: Z-rest - 15 oz or 0.94 lbs

Total: 104 oz or 6.4 lbs w/ tarp or 118 oz or 7.4 lbs w/ Tarptent.
    aka Endorphin, AT GA->ME '04

Default My Big 4

I'm all about being comfortable.

Sleeping Bag - 3 lbs. 4 oz.
    Tent - 3 lbs. 9 oz.
    Pack - 5 lbs. 10oz.
    Sleeping Pad - 2 lbs.

My total pack weight is around 40 lbs fully loaded.

-Nero

Sleeping bag - Western Mountaineering Ultralite - 26oz
    Tent - Tarptent Squall (with floor, groundcloth and ext beak) - 45oz
    Pack - Osprey Aether 75 - 66oz
    Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Prolite 3 Reg - 19oz

Total = 157oz (9.81lbs)
    Last edited by Bloodroot; 10-20-2004 at 15:54. Reason: oops
    a.k.a CHOP-CHOP

Page 4 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++