WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Canister Stoves and Cold

When I start my thru at Springer in mid to late March next year, should I expect it to be cold enough consistently enough that the performance of my canister stove is going to be affected substantially?
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Yes, it could be an issue.

I tested my canister stove a couple of years ago by leaving it out on the back deck on a 30 degree night. It was hard to start and burned poorly when I cranked it up the next morning.

Images

Keep it in your sleeping bag at night and near your body in your pack or warm it up in your jacket before you stop to eat. I've noticed that cold affects my cannister stove more as it gets towards empty. Sleeping with it always worked for me while winter camping, even in snow and cold in the teens.

Coleman Powermax fuel works great in cold temps. Locally I can easily find it.
    But I can’t say how easily you will be able to find it along the trail. My guess it’s hard to find.

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

An external canister stove like the MSR Windpro is designed for cold weather. If you can flip a canister upside down you get a liquid feed, and the cold doesn't matter. This would only work though if the stove has the fuel line running above the burner to preheat the fuel. You can also use a regular windscreen with the stove.

I used a Windpro starting mid Feb and it worked great. So great in fact that I carried it the whole way instead of my pocketrocket since that has major issues with the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by affreeman View Post
    When I start my thru at Springer in mid to late March next year, should I expect it to be cold enough consistently enough that the performance of my canister stove is going to be affected substantially?
    NO! We started March 1, 2005 with a Gigapower canister stove. You will have to put in your jacket to warm it up for 10 min or so shortly before starting to cook dinner or breakfast. That should do it. A full canister will work better than a nearly empty one. We had plenty of sub-freezing and maybe one single digit in the AM.

Plenty of people with canister stoves that time of year.

You don't need to go to an external canister for the AT in march.

Gravity

Images

It can be an issue, but keeping the canister in your bag will help.

I want one of these: http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=596

It's an adapter for a regular canister stove which lets you use it as a remote canister stove, so you can turn the fuel can upside down and get liquid feed. (That second part only works if your stove has a vaporizing tube.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    It can be an issue, but keeping the canister in your bag will help.

I want one of these: http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=596

It's an adapter for a regular canister stove which lets you use it as a remote canister stove, so you can turn the fuel can upside down and get liquid feed. (That second part only works if your stove has a vaporizing tube.)
    Can you use this with the Pocket Rocket?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Klein View Post
    Can you use this with the Pocket Rocket?
    You should be able to use this with any canister stove which uses the Primus-type canisters. So, I would venture a "yes," but I haven't actually bought one yet. Need to get it for this winter -- my canister stove isn't so good when it's 10-F out. (Ask me how I know this :-)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Yeti GAME 08 Team Deutschemark smaaax's Avatar

You probably coul use it, but it probably wouldn't work right. The pocketrocket doesn't have the fuel line going over the burner to vaporize the fuel, so it may not burn right.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by smaaax View Post
    You probably coul use it, but it probably wouldn't work right. The pocketrocket doesn't have the fuel line going over the burner to vaporize the fuel, so it may not burn right.
    Good point, I don't have a Pocket Rocket so I'm not familiar with its design. To reiterate what I said in my first post, the adapter should work with any stove that has a vaporizer tube and takes Primus-type canisters.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Snowpeak is the best for cold. MSR stinks. We never had an issue with starting our pocket rocket in the cold.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    MSR stinks. We never had an issue with starting our pocket rocket in the cold.
    contradiction?

If you keep your Bic (or no-name) lighter in your pocket, you can take it out occasionally to give a boost to your cannister stove by holding it under the cannister for a few seconds. I did this last January in New York to get the last bit of fuel out of my cannister in 32 degree weather. Another hiker in our "Parade of Fools" group simply held is cannister with stove attached over the fire they had built. No explosion, but I don't think I'd dare to do the same.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Carried MSR Pocket Rocket for entire thru in 2006 and for month of March this year from Springer to Damascus. Temps occasionally in 20's. Always used MSR canister. No problems.

Red Ranger
    Red Ranger
    GAME 06

Images

More then you will ever want to know about cannister stoves;

http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_GasStoves.htm

++ New Posts ++