WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mingus Mill to Clingmans Dome?

Anyone ever done this hike?
    http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/hiked...to+Mingus+Mill

I'm also interested in a route from the end of the Road to Nowhere to Clingmans Dome.

Any thoughts on feasibility. I'm not apposed to bushwhacking a bit.

Roughly studying Google Earth it appears there are several trails crisscrossing the area between Fontana Lake and Clingmans Dome. Following those estimated routes it appears to be only about 14 miles from the end of the road to the peak of Clingmans Dome.

Looks like these could both be beautiful hikes as it appears they do a good bit of ridge walking or following rivers.

Yes, but not exactly. A friend and I started at Deep Creek, late afternoon, and camped early after a few miles. We then hiked up along Thomas Ridge to the AT. We the went south and then dropped down onto the paved road to get onto the Nolan Devide trail. We got off of the AT a bit early and had to walk on the road for a mile or so. There was no side trail or marker off the AT to show the Nolan, there may be now, this was 20 years ago. We camped at a campsite on the right side by a stream that had plenty of trout. The next day we continued down the Nolan Devide and nearing the end, we went left on a trail back to Deep Creek Campground. It was steep and tough going at times, but it was worth the effort. Not many hikers, a few fishermen, or is it fishing people?, beautiful hardwoods and plenty of water. Enjoy.

Don't forget to figure your elevations.

Images

Your title is "Mingus Mill to Clingmans Dome" while the link couple did it the opposite direction, which is what I'd tend to do. Sounds/looks like a nice hike and relatively easy transportation as both start and finish are on US441, the main road through SMNP. I glance to my left at a framed photo of Mingus Mill that my wife took (on our second honeymoon) last February, and in my heart I wish I were there, or should I say, beginning the hike from Clingman's to walk to 'there!'

Images

I did the hike from Clingmans Dome Rd to Mingus Mill on the Mountain to Sea Trail in June. Campsite 53 was closed due to unusual bear activity. Ran into a Timber Rattler betwee Camp 53 and 54. Nice hike, some nice views.

My wife & I did this hike with our fellow CMC members back in the spring of 2002. This is a great hike ! We started at Clingmans Dome and hiked to Mingus Mill. The CMC hike description gives the details. Good luck and Happy Trails !!!
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

Glad to hear so many had a great time on this trail. Thanks for the feedback all!

++ New Posts ++