WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    Still keep a Jansport Scout in working condition; never know when I might want to do one of those "Tipi Walter - hang out in the woods for two weeks" style hikes.

fancyfeet, the one thing a lot of folks complain about is the short torso length that the Scout accommodates. I'm 5' 8" and have adjusted the shoulder bar all the way up the frame, and it's still a little short for me, so you may want to look at the Scout. Campmor usually puts them on sale after Christmas. Seen 'em as low as $70.
    Thanks, Two Speed. I'll definitely check it out!
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    True, the scout is meant for youths.. (or short people like me at 5'6" )

Still, a good example of a still popular external frame pack.
    You call that short? I'm 5'1" (and so is my backpack)!
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I love my...
    <SNIP>

That shoots my 'old-guy' theory.

TWS

When my husband comes on the trail with me, he uses my 25 year old camptrails external pack

I like Life,Life likes Me,Life and I very fully Agree.. Saint Alfonzo's Avatar
    Images

Tis a ponderous pack I wear... E.M.S.4500 external..
    They never get old, They always stay new, Those three little words, PLEASE and THANK YOU.

I got a Mountain Smith External from Dick's for $99.99. It weighs 4 lbs and has 4500 cubic inches. Did first section hike for 8 days with the starting weight of 70 lbs. Being a newbie - I over packed but the pack rode great! Would love to go lighter but love the convenience the external frame offers.

Images

Back in the 80's I used a Camp Trails Adjustable 2. At the time I thought it was a great pack. But looking back I remember how often it would get snagged in brush and overhanging trees, although, one time, that was a blessing because I avoided stepping on a diamondback rattle snake. So after some experimenting I eventually got a Mariposa Plus, but then I became obsessed with avoiding brush and laying tyvek down before putting the pack on the ground. I presently have a kelty Internal, 4200 cu in, 3# 12 oz. which I will probobly modify. Big enough for light bulky items, pack cloth rugged enough to handle the AZ vegetation.

I still miss the way that Camp Trails rode on my hips. It rode like a Cadillac.......smoooth. I looked at a jansport scout, maybe i will look at it again.

Images

Ok I really enjoyed reading all the comments about external frames, so a couple of questions or seeking advice here as well. After years of using externals I slipped and fell of course this must have been the fault of the external bulky pack and not my own lack of coordination! I went with the Osprey Aether 70 and it’s a totally awesome pack. The problem I ran into isn’t the pack but my back you see it seems to sweat big time! I have used my Aether on several 5 day trips mostly spring and fall. I tried it last august for 5 days in summer humidity and it was like I was wringing out the pack. So here is my dilemma if you will. I plan on through hiking the LT starting in August. I will have two major layovers were if necessary I can switch out packs. I plan on the LT this summer and then if the economy makes some sort of recovery and I can afford the time away the AT as a through trip the following year. I want to try out going back to an external while on the LT to see which pack I am better off with. Back to my dilemma is I no longer have the giant kelty I had and want to get a new one. No outfitter around here stocks them for me to compare them. The two externals I am considering are the Tioga 5500 and the trekker 3950. It looks like REI has both on back order. While I don’t see an issue at all with volume in that I pretty much have gone to a minimalist amount of gear, I am wondering if any one knows what the differences beyond capacity would be in these new models? I am curious about differences in the frame, and the belt mainly. I am large and have the long torso issue so having even the extra inch torso the trekker offers might be nice.
    I am hoping to make my decision online as which external to try so then I can order just the one. Been greatly appreciative of all the help both in previous answers to my post and in all the other posts its been darn helpful thanks!

Images

I got a monster of one I believe I carry my wife in it, mmmmmmmmmmmm one day I just wanted to see how much stuff I could get in there and after fishing pole tackle box and a two man rubber raft with the ores broke down I still had room for everything you need for a 10 day hike. Total weight was 105 felt like military days
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

I've always used internals, but I want to try an external for the hot weather here (May-September). Campmor has last year's Kelty Trekkers for $79, and now they have one less than they had 10 minutes ago . . . :-]
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

I had an internal frame pack for about 3 days before I boxed it up and sent it back to NJ where it came from. And the only reason I had it that long was because it was the week-end and the post office was closed.

First thing I didn't like about it occurred when I tried to put some stuff into it. Unlike my external frame pack, the stupid thing fell over. Okay, I thought, I'll just pack it while it is lying on the floor. Then, when I tried to put more stuff into it, it moved away from me and I had to keep running after it. In addition, when I did manage to get it loaded, it rested right in the small of my back and hurt like hell.

So, I went back to an external frame. I have a custom made silnylon pack that is mounted on an old Camp Trails frame. It fits me like a glove, is a snap to load, never hurts my back and the pack and frame weigh about 3.5 pounds. And, yes, I'm an "old guy".
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I have a Kelty Continental Divide (5300) external pack. I have used it all over Big Bend, Sangre de Cristo Mtns., and et al. I sacrifice pack weight cuz it is so comfortable and I like the air flow because I sweat a lot. When I get down to doing a thru hike I may look for another smaller pack. But it will probably be an external. I have suspected what one writer here said is true that the Internal Frame are "furnace on the back"? ps.does anyone else here use a Kelty Continental Divide 5300?
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Default REI trekker external

My REI external has carried my stuff sectioning from springer to Sams Gap and many weekends in between. I ditched the actual cloth pack bag along time ago and sewed a top bag for all the heavy stuff. Food and water sit higher over my head and is easy on my hips. Sleeping bag and clothes go in a sil ny strapped to the frame over the sleeping pad at the bottom. Skin out weight is about 30 for long section.

I am starting to look at making a gearskin copy.... The two pound pack I have now could be a 1.5 pound pack....hmmmmm. Gonna use the hipbelt and shoulder straps from the external and see if it works out the same. Something tells me I'll be back to the external by next spring... Wheldon suggests this in one of his videos.

No good pics of my pack in rentman or chaco's galleries. Just picture a 6 and a half foot garage sale strapped to a 5 foot 10 guy.

Images

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/...imageuser=6217

Got a lot of miles with this one.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

I grew up on external packs so I have not tried the fancy new stuff yet. I like to use the frame to tie things on. I am trying to go lighter though. I might try internal just too see if it is better but I have talked to people who went over to internal but switched back.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Kelty Super Tioga 5500 external

I also have a Kelty Super Tioga that ive had for 10yrs .I can pack it up or down if i like on a as needed bases.like said in some of the post,i like the air on my back.Plus you can adjust the length on top if you need it.I like the way the bottom of the pack is made also it protects your tent or Pad(air) onces you sit it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by latte View Post
    I have a Kelty Super Tioga 5500 external. It was the only thing I could find that fit and carried the weight properly. I often hike with children and need the extra capacity. When hiking alone I total around 35 lbs. When hiking with the kids, my pack is around 65 lbs (They can't carry food and gear, just their personal stuff - sleeping mat, sleeping bag, clothes, snacks). The only internal frame pack I found to tackle the loads is one of the Osprey styles, but it weighs just as much as my external. No point in spending the money on a pack that doesn't save me any weight...

Images

I have a Kelty Trekker that I use rarely. Most of the time I use a Vapor Trail (internal 2 1/4 lbs). A friend bought a 1970's Kelty on E-bay. It only weighed 3 lbs. The Trekker is close to 5 lbs. I think this is the biggest problem with the externals today, none of them are light.

My hiking buddy still uses a Kelty external he bought for boy scout trips 8 or so years ago. He packs it full to 40 pounds and still flies past me :P.

Images

I used mine during hunting season it's a tank and can carry alot of stuff
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

warrghy has always used one and i quickly grew jealous of how easy it was to pack up. i HATE that with my internal i have to dig through it to find stuff. i just picked up a camptrails night song for FREE and absolutely love it!! i put everthing i usually take into it and there's still more room, and it's all very easy to get to.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++