WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Default Desert Solitare.... also question about other books.

Is it really worth reading? I heard it was kind of like the "Walden" of the west....

I really can't decide what book I am going to read next. Walden is one of my fav books out there so i think the Desert Solitare would be a good choice but I don't know......

Any other books I should think about getting? I saw this "Merle's Door" book about a guy and his dog doing all kinds of "outdoorsy" kinds of things.

a few of the books I've already read... so no need to mention them.... "A walk in the woods" (of course), "No Shortcuts to the Top" (loved that one), Neither here nor there, and a few others about the outdoors. Most of my reading lately has been in Bret Easton Ellis books so i kinda wanna move back over to the "outdoors" side of things.
    -Jason

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I just reread Desert Solitaire for at least the sixth time, and that book is as good as nature writing gets (I say this having read a lot of nature books). It has a little bit of everything: nature description, adventure, rants against overdevelopment, philosophy, quite contemplation. And it's a quick read. You won't be disappointed.

Lots of threads on here about favorite books. Just do a search.
    I like Desert Solitaire and many others.

i have it but haven't ever been able to get past the first 20 pages - though its been a few years.. will try at it again.

other suggestions for outdoors reading:

Savages - Joe Kane (spending time with the Huarani tribe of Ecuador/Peruvian amazonian headwater region - oil encroachment - lots of outdoor adventure mixed with serious plot and history)

Jungle - Yossi Ghinsberg - survival after accidents in the bolivian jungle

listening for coyote - william s sullivan --- man walks across oregon from SW coast to NE corner - a great book, read that since we moved here to oregon.

Walking my Dog, Jane - ned Kurzel - man walks the alaskan pipeline from end to end - unique walk, coming from someone who has obviously not done long distance hiking - so you get a view of similar insights one would gain from the AT or PCT, etc, but from a different angle for sure.

I've read Desert Solitaire several times although I wouldn't characterize it as a "quick read." Some chapters read faster than others. Anyway, it's a good book and worth a read.

Great book. Try A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold. My personal fave. Or anything else by Ed Abbey.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    I've read Desert Solitaire several times although I wouldn't characterize it as a "quick read." Some chapters read faster than others. Anyway, it's a good book and worth a read.

I agree, some chapters are slow, some you can't put the book down. My favorite is where he was down in the Grand Canyon, near the village of Supai. His description of how he got into and out of a serious "jam" and the emotions he experianced was great.

On another note, for a real sugar high, you may want to read Abbey's "the Monkey Wrench Gang". Pure fiction, pure fun.

Yeah. Abbey. Not your regular environmentalist. Somebody I can respect. Don't wait for the movie. Read the book.
    R.
    First things first!

One-time Rights, hard copy and Internet. All Rights revert to author.

Journal Entries

Walden tends to be my trail Bible. I carry a light paperback version on most long distance walks. Everytime I read it, I gain new insights. Walden is particularly good for trail reading because almost each sentence is an essay in itself. Trail reading tends to come in several minute spurts, so a book with great sentences works well.

Desert Solitaire is also a great book, just very different than Walden.

There are scores of outdoor books of interest. I especially like "My Wilderness" by Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas because he talks about "my" mountains: Maine and New Hampshire.

Jon Krakauer has written several supurb books including "Into Thin Air."

Most everything written by Edward O. Wilson is worth reading for insights into the outdoors. I especially liked "The Future of Life."

Rachel Carson is often criticized for her expose of of the chemical pesticide industry, but she also wrote one the great outdoor books, "The Sea Around Us."

And must reading among the outdoor essays is Henry Beston's "The Outermost House," an account of a year living on Cape Cod in the 1920s.

Weary

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Yeah. Abbey. Not your regular environmentalist. Somebody I can respect. Don't wait for the movie. Read the book.
    R.
    There is a movie coming out? Had no idea.
    -Jason

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Walden tends to be my trail Bible. I carry a light paperback version on most long distance walks. Everytime I read it, I gain new insights. Walden is particularly good for trail reading because almost each sentence is an essay in itself. Trail reading tends to come in several minute spurts, so a book with great sentences works well.

Desert Solitaire is also a great book, just very different than Walden.

There are scores of outdoor books of interest. I especially like "My Wilderness" by Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas because he talks about "my" mountains: Maine and New Hampshire.

Jon Krakauer has written several supurb books including "Into Thin Air."

Most everything written by Edward O. Wilson is worth reading for insights into the outdoors. I especially liked "The Future of Life."

Rachel Carson is often criticized for her expose of of the chemical pesticide industry, but she also wrote one the great outdoor books, "The Sea Around Us."

And must reading among the outdoor essays is Henry Beston's "The Outermost House," an account of a year living on Cape Cod in the 1920s.

Weary
    Yea I read Into Thin Air as well as Into the Wild... wasn't that big of a fan of the movie though they did do somewhat of a good job with it.

Think I am gonna go pick up a copy of Desert Solitare today then.
    -Jason

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Matteroo View Post
    i have it but haven't ever been able to get past the first 20 pages - though its been a few years.. will try at it again.

other suggestions for outdoors reading:

Savages - Joe Kane (spending time with the Huarani tribe of Ecuador/Peruvian amazonian headwater region - oil encroachment - lots of outdoor adventure mixed with serious plot and history)

Jungle - Yossi Ghinsberg - survival after accidents in the bolivian jungle

listening for coyote - william s sullivan --- man walks across oregon from SW coast to NE corner - a great book, read that since we moved here to oregon.

Walking my Dog, Jane - ned Kurzel - man walks the alaskan pipeline from end to end - unique walk, coming from someone who has obviously not done long distance hiking - so you get a view of similar insights one would gain from the AT or PCT, etc, but from a different angle for sure.
    I hope to move to oregon one day! I gotta get outta the south. Mississippi is killing me.
    -Jason

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

go abbey go ..thanks be too Abbey!
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

I bought the Desert Solitare book.

Also noticed a few books by a guy name Peter Jenkins... the books looked good.

Anyone ever read "Walking across america" I think it was called.
    -Jason

"The Monkey Wrench Gang," by Abbey, is definitely worth reading.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus Shoes View Post
    I bought the Desert Solitare book.

Also noticed a few books by a guy name Peter Jenkins... the books looked good.

Anyone ever read "Walking across america" I think it was called.
    Yes. I've read most of what Peter has written. He's a good writer, better than most, but not terribly sophisticatred. He provides a good read, He doesn't suggest to me that he knows much about what is happening today!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by weary View Post
    Yes. I've read most of what Peter has written. He's a good writer, better than most, but not terribly sophisticatred. He provides a good read, He doesn't suggest to me that he knows much about what is happening today!
    irony at its finest....

hayduke lives!

Peter Jenkins also has a Walk Across China title which is a very good book. NatGeo did an artcile about Jenkins many years ago. Good thing my father-in-law kept all of his old magazines because it was hard to find.
    You are never too old.

Monkey Wrench Gang is very entertaining.
    Walk Across America was decent.
    For some old school adventure checkout Dangerous River by R.L. Patterson. Actual account of him and his partner searching for gold in the Nahani River valley in the N.W.Territories / Yukon area. Very good read understanding what it was like to "camp" at -60*F in 1928. One of the most interesting outdoor books that I have read.

geek

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Peter Jenkins "looking for Alaska" is great ..he writes about some friends of mine.

also my favorite Ed Abbey is "Black Sun"

"all I want to do is stare at the sun until the sun goes Black"
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++