WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default What boot is keeping you walking?

Sup guys, too make a long story short ... all summer and last i got 0 blisters ... yes, ZERO ... This past weekend i didn't notice my boots "both" blewout in the heels on the inside with the gel inserts ... needless to say, i ended up with heel blister's about a quarter size an puffed out 3 coins stacked ...

SOOO, i never wanna feel that again =0

What are some boots you guys would recommend ? ...

I wear a size 13 .... lightweight is good ... I'm willing to spend the $$$ ...
    Just not sure where to begin .... just looking for a few ideas and maybe personal opinions if you've tried a certain boot ...

Thanks,
    Here's to hoping to more blister free hikes ...

Images

LL Bean Leather Cresta GTX. No break in required, LOVE mine, size 14 here

I've got a pair of Merrell Perimeters that are full leather and lightweight. They feel great.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son is really liking his Montrail hardrocks. And they are on sale at Sierra Trading Post.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Salomon XA Comp.

But buying boots or trail shoes is all about what fits *you* not what fits me. What were you wearing that "blew out?" Trail runners will last me about a season, then need to be replaced.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Cheap pair of Ozark Trail peyton II is what i was wearing .... I understand what fits you and is comfortable won't be for me ...

I'm just looking for an idea on were to start when i head to an outfitter ... thanks! =]

My favorite dry weather boots are the Alico Summits I got from sierratradingpost. They aren't waterproof though, and I haven't tried using any waterproofing goo them yet. I use a less treasured pair of boots in the mud and rain.

Images

bah, hit reply too quick and can't edit ...

Also note, those cheap boots kept me blister free and comfy for 2 years .... I'd imagine investing abit more into my boots breathing and features will do me well ...

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Are you looking for boots or are trail shoes an option? Do you have a narrow or wide foot? How heavy is your pack typically for a typical overnighter?

I ask these questions, because depending upon your preferences and packing style, one shoe may be better for you than another.

FWIW, I found the Crest hikers to be a great traditional leather boot back when I hiked in boots regularly.

I now use Hi Tec altitudes for trailwork. They are a light, all leather boot and have a very small break in process. I've suggested these boots to many of my friends who want a traditional boot for backpacking. At ~$75 MSRP, they are a good deal.

For my own hiking (with a light pack), I've had good luck with Montrail Hardrocks.

If you want to try a light shoe, but aren't quite ready for trail runners, Montrail now makes a boot version of the Hardrocks. I am not sure how these boots are in the field, though, and have yet to hear any LONG TERM reports (more than a few months and for many people) good or bad about them. They are very new, but they do look promising.

Here are some initial reviews:
    http://www.backpackgeartest.org/revi...ardrock%20Mid/
    Last edited by Mags; 08-25-2008 at 15:55.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I have bad ankles, ASOLO is my boot of choice. Pricy, but necessary

Images

For about 500 miles or so I had Montrail GTX. like clock work by the 3rd day I was blistered so badly that it was like surgical procedure to get ready in the AM. I have switched to the Keen's in a mid hight and so far i love them have had them about 2 months or so now and while I can feel the trail a bit more through them they are much more comfortable and lighter than the Montrails so I hope this will do the trick. I use the Montrails when I go out to do trail work.

Images

whatever boots u get get some body glide too
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Images

My pack weight for 5+ days is generally 35-42 lbs depending on ammount of water i'm carrying ... Far as i know i don't need a wide boot, and i am flat footed ... I really require ankle support ... i'm 6'4 and 230 lbs ... plus i carry alittle more weight than some from posts i've read ... Even on weekend trips i seem to carry food enough for 5 days to get used to the weight for longer trips ... A highly breathable sturdy boot with perhaps a feature for rock protection since i live in PA and they just shred my feet up ... I'd like to NOT feel the rocks, tight fitting boot with lots of breathing ... waterproofing isn't needed ... i've had waterproof boots an they still got wet regardless ... an take longer to dry once soaked.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The new Montrail boots may be just the ticket. Moderate weight load capacity, breathability and a pedigree of a good shoe.

>>i've had waterproof boots an they still got wet regardless ... an take longer >>to dry once soaked.

Ain't that the truth!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Montrail Hardrocks. Great shoe for pronators. They allowed my heel spur problem to just go away! They are the best piece of gear I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Salomon XA Comp.

But buying boots or trail shoes is all about what fits *you* not what fits me. What were you wearing that "blew out?" Trail runners will last me about a season, then need to be replaced.
    First good answer

Images

As a general guideline I personally don't buy boots that have thick soles or hard toe tops. I like boots that fit like socks and are very flexible from the get go. I wear vasque sundowners.

Images

Merrell Chameleons (sp) They make them with Gortex or not. My size 13 wide feet love them -- never a hot spot or blister. No break in time for me YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by fehchet View Post
    Merrell Chameleons (sp) They make them with Gortex or not. My size 13 wide feet love them -- never a hot spot or blister. No break in time for me YMMV.
    I second that on the Chameleons. I have had some for three years and except for the paint spots, look next to new. I use Asolo boots for more rugged terrain. They are awesome.
    Cabin Fever
    You need God—to hope, to care, to love, to live.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++