WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Copperhead!

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Copperhead!

I was hiking into Pearisburg this morning finishing my Daleville-Pearisburg section and I missed putting my boot down on a copperhead by just a few inches.

It happenned very fast - I was in the process of putting down my boot when I saw the snake coil up and rear back fixing to strike. Why it didn't bite me I'll never know. I planted my boot right beside the snake - probably 2-3 inches at most.

Scared the crap out of me.

A miss is as good as a mile! But that miss can create a lasting memory.

Copperheads can be very difficult to see in the forest.

Images

Good thing it wasn't a rattlesnake...Glad you're OK 10K
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

It's good to see other people having the crap scared out of them by a copperhead. On my last backpacking trip up Slickrock Creek I too nearly stepped on one of my trail buddies--a festive copperhead in full regalia, etc. Heart rate went up a couple of hundred ticks, I settled down and hung out with her for a bit and she sure was looking good. Finally, I pounded my boots on the ground a couple of times and she took off to her home in the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    It's good to see other people having the crap scared out of them by a copperhead. On my last backpacking trip up Slickrock Creek I too nearly stepped on one of my trail buddies--a festive copperhead in full regalia, etc. Heart rate went up a couple of hundred ticks, I settled down and hung out with her for a bit and she sure was looking good. Finally, I pounded my boots on the ground a couple of times and she took off to her home in the rocks.
    Nice photo of your little trail buddy, I always want to know how long snakes are. So how long is the snake in your photo?

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Funny thing - when I was leaving Daleville I missed a black snake by a foot or so but I saw it before I came up on it so I wasn't surprised and just kept going - black snakes don't have the same thrill factor as a copperhead. ;-)

A mile or so later it dawned on me that I should have got a picture of the copperhead.

But, I'm glad I didn't have to limp the last 10 miles into Pearisburg and go to the ER...

Quote Originally Posted by J Rabbit View Post
    Nice photo of your little trail buddy, I always want to know how long snakes are. So how long is the snake in your photo?
    Stretched out, I'd say about 4 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Funny thing - when I was leaving Daleville I missed a black snake by a foot or so but I saw it before I came up on it so I wasn't surprised and just kept going - black snakes don't have the same thrill factor as a copperhead. ;-)

A mile or so later it dawned on me that I should have got a picture.

But, I'm glad I didn't have to limp the last 10 miles into Pearisburg and go to the ER...
    The big thrill factor comes when you stumble up on a full-bore rattlesnake in a combative mood. A totally different reptile than the copperhead. Although I have to say, I've seen some rattlers all mellow and meek, but I've never seen a copperhead as aggressive as a hot and bothered rattlesnake.

Images

I, too, had an occasion to do the "AT Two Step" when I just missed stepping on this guy north of Pearisburg. He was mellow and didn't rattle. Measured about 3.5 ft long.
    Turtle2

Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Why it didn't bite me I'll never know. I planted my boot right beside the snake - probably 2-3 inches at most.
    It didn't bite because snakes are pretty docile creatures. You didn't step on it, and you are way too big to be a meal, so why waste the precious venom? Takes snakes a ton of resources for a snake to produce venom. They are not inclined to waste it.

I know a snake Ph.D. at a local university who puts his boot against rattle snakes just to prove to students that snakes don't strike unless provoked. They are actually pretty docile creatures.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

rattlesnakes are usually very docile compared to copperheads. copperheads can be real nasty at times.

geek

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Adams View Post
    rattlesnakes are usually very docile compared to copperheads. copperheads can be real nasty at times.

geek
    Just in Spring from what I've seen. Otherwise I'd much rather step over a copperhead than a rattlesnake.

Truth is we probably set our feet down next to them all the time without even knowing it.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Just in Spring from what I've seen. Otherwise I'd much rather step over a copperhead than a rattlesnake.

Truth is we probably set our feet down next to them all the time without even knowing it.
    VERY TRUE SKIDS!
    I hate snakes and although I haven't had any close calls with being bitten I often wonder how many I've walked past and not known. Saw tons of them on the PCT.

geek

Images

I never hear anyone talk about Water Moccasins on the trail is this because the trail is up to high and they prefer the lower coastal areas? I just know you all have them down south and all we have up north is your common variety water snake.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I never hear anyone talk about Water Moccasins on the trail is this because the trail is up to high and they prefer the lower coastal areas? I just know you all have them down south and all we have up north is your common variety water snake.
    Despite recent history, we still have cold enough winters to probably discourage the old cottonmouths. On the other hand, if our winters get any warmer, it wouldn't surprise me to see cobras and black mambas enter our area ha ha ha. Just kidding. At least the rattlesnakes rattle out a warning. Cobras and mambas are very fast moving snakes and seem to actually go for you at a run like a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    I never hear anyone talk about Water Moccasins on the trail is this because the trail is up to high and they prefer the lower coastal areas?
    Yes, there are no Water Moccasins along the AT, although you will always have someone insist that there are. Check the range maps in any good reptile field guide.

I've come close to stepping on both a copperhead and a rattlesnake. I'd have to say I prefer it to be a rattlesnake, for the audible warning.

I've almost stepped on a black snake too, it got me moving just as fast. Jump back first, identify later.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Amazingly having hiked all of the AT and scores of day hikes and other backpacking trips, I haven't seen a rattler in the East for nearly 40 years. On a day hike in Ramsay's Draft Wilderness (VA) about 10 years ago, I heard one rattling under a boulder but never saw it.

Once while hiking early Spring in Shenandoah NP, I encountered a very lethargic copperhead who wouldn't budge off the middle of the trail. I wrapped him around a long stick and eased him off. The other copperhead was in PA very close to Wind Gap in late September - a beautiful, brilliant copper color. He disappeared under a rock, causing me to marvel how such a small, innocuous-looking rock could hide a snake and proving how risky it is to overturn rocks with your hand.

Images

Timber Rattler, Black Bear, Tree full of wild turkeys, Doe and a lost dog all in one 6 day trip.
    The Rattler was quite docile sunning itself on a ledge. Good thing I saw it before my dog.

Images

Cought a copperhead on my thru-hike, they get pretty nasty, quick tempered snakes.

Cought a few rattlers on my thru hike, rattlers have always been low tempered, the young ones sometimes get nippy but the older ones are just interested in being left alone.

Water Mocasins are in GA, but not found the A.T. for the most part - there is a chance but a slim one.

Anyways, dont loose any sleep over them, or the bears..... they are not going to bother you and could care less that your out there.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++