WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: traptents

Images

Default Six Moon Designs

I know Henry makes great tents and I use to own a Squall but if you like plenty of space and not having to hit the sides of your tent, or being squished...go with the Six Moon Designs by Ron. Especially the Luna Duo or the Luna Solo you will be very happy you did.
    I hate crawling into a tent and hitting the top, especially in the rain!
    Life's too short not to have Credit Card bills...so Charge It!!!

Tents versus tarps versus hammocks.............pick what works for you but be sure to test it throughly BEFORE hitting the trail. I like a solo tent with a real floor, no bugs, cleaner, NO MICE.

Default Tried them, didn't like.

I tried a tarptent (Henry Shires, solo version, Contrail I think, can't recall).

I didn't like it. Why?

1. Not freestanding. Makes setting up a pain--and keeping it up as well (I was in sandy terrain).

2. Condensation and sag. Tarptents are single wall, so ya, condensation is a major problem. They tend to sag over the course of the night as well, unless set up juuust right. So in the morning, you have to inch your way out or get soaked.

3. Tight. Not much room to move. See above.

The Henry Shires Rainbow Tarptent is the best of the bunch (in my opinion). It's free standing.

The good aspect of tarp tents are: They are light, packable, and keep the creepy-crawlies out.

If I was to re-hike the AT, I would go with a Hammock (Hennessy is the brand I've used). On cold nights I would just stay in shelters or lay on the ground with my hammock as a ground sheet.

Or I'd use my tarp/bivy set-up I use out West.

If I wasn't a lightweight hiker, I would use a MSR Hubba style tent. Three or so pounds (so heavy) but hey are very reliable, fairly roomy, and most importantly--freestanding.

Overall I am a Hammock guy. Just not in weather below 50 degrees at night, cause dang they are cold on your back. You'll be awake from 3-6 AM in those puppies on a chilly night...

Default Tarp Tent Curious!

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    i would not want to get caught in one

Why did you say this Freeleo? Was it a joke? Just curious. I mean when you guys use these and it rains all night and/or snows all night. Pretty much am I going to have to get used to sleeping in a sopping wet sleeping bag and/or tent?

Having looked at them all I really do like them. I just wonder if there is a better option or is it just because they are light weight that people use them?

Originally Posted by Freeleo
    i would not want to get caught in one
    Posted by Gaza
    Why did you say this Freeleo? Was it a joke? Just curious. I mean when you guys use these and it rains all night and/or snows all night. Pretty much am I going to have to get used to sleeping in a sopping wet sleeping bag and/or tent?
    I believe Freeleo was referring to the typo "traptent" in the original post. Good one Freeleo, I enjoyed a chuckle from your post.

On a serious note, my wife and I really like our Rainshadow 2 and will use it on our 09 thru. We hiked for seven days in Virginia last week. The Rainshadow kept us very dry on a first night of hard continuous rain.

When first moving into tarptents we started with a Double Rainbow. That is a great shelter as well, but we really enjoy the added space that the Rainshadow provides - plenty of room for two people and gear. At a little over 2.5 pounds, the Rainshadow is a great option for two people.

I haven't done so yet, but I believe we could pitch the Rainshadow using rocks in place of stakes if needed.

I noticed online that Henry Shires has a 20% Fall sale going on. That's a great deal on an excellent line of shelters.

Quote Originally Posted by gonewalkabout View Post
    planning on 09 and would apreciate any infomation and feedbacl on solo traptents.

Thanks,

Gonewalkabout

I plan on getting a tarp tent myself for my thru hike this spring. Going with the Rainbow.

Journal Entries

Anyone ussing the Tarptent Scrap 1?

Images

I have an '03 Squall I use and love, love, love it. I can sit up, get dressed, dig through my pack in it and never touch the sides. It's the Taj Mahal for right around two pounds.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Montana AT05 View Post
    I tried a tarptent (Henry Shires, solo version, Contrail I think, can't recall).

I didn't like it. Why?

1. Not freestanding. Makes setting up a pain--and keeping it up as well (I was in sandy terrain).

2. Condensation and sag. Tarptents are single wall, so ya, condensation is a major problem. They tend to sag over the course of the night as well, unless set up juuust right. So in the morning, you have to inch your way out or get soaked.

3. Tight. Not much room to move. See above.

The Henry Shires Rainbow Tarptent is the best of the bunch (in my opinion). It's free standing.

The good aspect of tarp tents are: They are light, packable, and keep the creepy-crawlies out.

If I was to re-hike the AT, I would go with a Hammock (Hennessy is the brand I've used). On cold nights I would just stay in shelters or lay on the ground with my hammock as a ground sheet.

Or I'd use my tarp/bivy set-up I use out West.

If I wasn't a lightweight hiker, I would use a MSR Hubba style tent. Three or so pounds (so heavy) but hey are very reliable, fairly roomy, and most importantly--freestanding.

Overall I am a Hammock guy. Just not in weather below 50 degrees at night, cause dang they are cold on your back. You'll be awake from 3-6 AM in those puppies on a chilly night...
    Ok so you had the tent without your hiking sticks?

good write up really, I joined the hammock group too.

Hey Montana, I havent purchased a quilt yet, but in cold weather for now I am using a cheap down LLbean Jacket $70 15 oz and it compresses to a grapefruit. Seriously no cold sholders!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Garlic
    Images

Henry Shires' Tarptents keep getting better, in my experience. The Contrail is a great shelter for a three-season hike.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I cannot brag enough about my Shires tarptent. Highly recommended!
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

I've got the Cloudburst II, the thing I like best is it's up in less than two minutes, 3 stakes and two internal poles, no hiking poles needed, quick storm comes and you can be in it in no time and wait it out!....Crawl

Images

I'm really, really happy with my Rainbow.
    Though I don't think you'd go wrong with any HS Tarptent.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++