WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Right now I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do. Either a PCT hike, which would correspond better with my graduation in May, or a southbound AT hike. (I know they are entirely different). I would rather go north on the AT, and I know I have enough time, but I absolutely can't stand the heat. On the otherhand it seems so anticlimatic ending on Springer mtn rather than Katahdin .

Images

I'd bet there are job interviews on your college campus every semester, not just this semester. I say take a hike and then check with the college to see when and what interviews will be held when you return.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    I'd bet there are job interviews on your college campus every semester, not just this semester. I say take a hike and then check with the college to see when and what interviews will be held when you return.
    Yeah, they do it every year. At least since I've been here. Our accounting department does a good job of getting many of the CPA firms and corporate accounting departments to come in and interview. As crazy as it may sound, they really are hiring right now for spring and summer graduates. It won't hurt for me to interview though.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mts4602 View Post
    I'm curious to know what some of you have done in regards to thru hiking and getting a job, particuarly those who graduated college and thru hiked right after.

I'm supposed to graduate in May, and like many others, this is the best time for me to do a thru hike or at least a long section hike. The problem is, my family expects me to have a job right after I graduate or a least have one lined up.

Interviews at school are already starting and I'm not really sure what to do about my situation. What have you guys done? Can I really say "I graduate in May but I can't start until August or October b/c I'm going hiking for 5 months"? I know others have done it so I'm looking to find out how you approached the situation with employers. Or did you wait until afterwards?

Thanks,

MTS

We purposefully graduated in December, left for the AT 1 Feb and had jobs lined up to start in August.

As for your situation, just tell your employer your start date. They do not need to know why it is 5 mos. out. If they do not accept that, then you have a decision to make.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Do the hike. I'm graduating next spring, and I am not in the least bit worried about finding a job right off the bat. I'm selling my car, cutting off the cellular device while I'm gone, and I have no college loans. I figure if a company can't see the value in someone who tested themselves physically and mentally for 5 months then I don't really want to work for them anyways. Big business and big paychecks are nice, but the way I look at it is, I'm not married or engaged, the only person that is effected by my immediate decisions is myself. If I was to put off hiking and go to work and a year later died in a car accident or some other tragic event, what would I have rather done before I died? You've put in 16 years worth of schooling and work. Would 5 months off to hike and enjoy life be a selfish decision, or would you rather do the safe thing and spend the next 5 months checking decimal points on TPS reports. Oh and don't forget the cover sheet.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

A thru hike is similar to boot camp. If you commit and finish you'll hone skills in discipline, tenacity, persistence, troubleshooting, survival, climatology, human interaction, goal setting, resource management, etc., etc., etc. I was a Senior Manager in a multinational communications corporation and if I had a prospect with the skills I was looking for and learned they were going to further develop the skills in the areas I mentioned I would wait for them if I could. It can take 6 mos to get approval to hire in a huge corporation anyway, so other opportunities will come up. One last note that is important, you'll have a lot of time to think out there and it is possible you'll further define the areas in which you want to practice your craft. I'll also say in those thoughts you'll most likely also entertain doing something totally unrelated that you may like better and haven't thought of to date. That's not all bad either. Whatever the outcome, you'll be glad you made the journey and would most likely regret it if you don't. For what it's worth, I finally quit a good high paying position to enjoy life, I'd suspect you could just postpone yours a while for the same reason. Jobs are everywhere, life only happens once! My best to you mts4602
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Thanks for the responses everybody.

Right now I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do. Either a PCT hike, which would correspond better with my graduation in May, or a southbound AT hike. (I know they are entirely different). I would rather go north on the AT, and I know I have enough time, but I absolutely can't stand the heat. On the otherhand it seems so anticlimatic ending on Springer mtn rather than Katahdin .
    I'm always a huge cheerleader for the PCT. Not to take anything away from the AT, but if you think youll only have the opportunity to do one, I'd strongly sway to the PCT.

As far as working, it's a tough call, only you can decide. I took a semester off in college to hike and set up my life so I didn't dive into a career track the first 2-3 yrs after college. That allowed me to hike again. It's all about choices and priorities. You have your whole life to work, but this is a golden opportunity to hike. On the flipside, if there is an excellent job opportunity in this economic climate, well, that's hard to pass up these days.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Do the hike and have no regrets. It's not likely that your first job out of college is going to be your life long dream job. More likely you will have several jobs while on your career path. I don't think that I would start telling prospective employers that I can't start for 5 or 6 months because I am going to hike the AT for several reasons. First they just won't "get it". Second, living near the AT in Blairsville, I see a lot of people that have quit their jobs to hike the AT. They told all of their friends about it and then go home at before getting to Neel Gap. It wasn't what they expected, they got injured, it was too cold. Don't tout future acheivements to your prospective employer. I think that I would interview after completing the trail. It will give you time to decide what you really want in life; because believe me, it will change your life.

That's just my opinion, but I really, really really think that you should hike now and work later.

Journal Entries

Default I did temporary work for a while...

which helped bridge into more permanent work.

Also, my pre-temp *temp* job was working at EMS, since I just got off the trail and brought my direct experience and skills to the sales floor. Worked out great plus I enjoyed vicariously connecting with hikers of all kinds.

Tim
    "If a hiker falls in the forest, and there's not a tree around to hear him, does he make a sound?" JN316

Im in a similar situation, i graduated in december and have been working the same coop/temp job that i worked while i was in college. i really want to do the AT in march. im afraid that if i ask for the time off they wont take me back. and if they dont take me back idk what im going to do because i have a degree in geography and there is not much i can do with it. they thought of turning 25 when i get back and not having any direction on a career is whats scaring me.

Quote Originally Posted by beastxc View Post
    what im going to do because i have a degree in geography and there is not much i can do with it.
    i have never understood people saying this, and i hate to hear it. wake up america!

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    i have never understood people saying this, and i hate to hear it. wake up america!
    Yeah. Jerk engineers, medical personel, economists, tradesmen have been perpetuating these ideas for years. The problem is when the folks with the liberal arts degree accept these opinions as truth.

What does an English degree prepare you for? Everything and nothing.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Yeah. Jerk engineers, medical personel, economists, tradesmen have been perpetuating these ideas for years. The problem is when the folks with the liberal arts degree accept these opinions as truth.

What does an English degree prepare you for? Everything and nothing.
    no, typically its the people with the liberal arts degree who i hear make these kinds of comments.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    I'm always a huge cheerleader for the PCT. Not to take anything away from the AT, but if you think youll only have the opportunity to do one, I'd strongly sway to the PCT.
    Yeah, I recently became obsessed with the PCT, and after visiting Yosemite this summer that really did it for me.

I'm curious to know what some of you have done in regards to thru hiking and getting a job, particuarly those who graduated college and thru hiked right after.

I'm supposed to graduate in May, and like many others, this is the best time for me to do a thru hike or at least a long section hike. The problem is, my family expects me to have a job right after I graduate or a least have one lined up.

Interviews at school are already starting and I'm not really sure what to do about my situation. What have you guys done? Can I really say "I graduate in May but I can't start until August or October b/c I'm going hiking for 5 months"? I know others have done it so I'm looking to find out how you approached the situation with employers. Or did you wait until afterwards?

Thanks,

MTS
    Make hiking your job! I myself am just a bum but you can actually make money guiding city folks up inot the mountains, I hear. I may try it someday myself.

Actually, a thru hike would probably be a big advantage for a recent graduate looking for a job. Completing a thru takes enormous commitment, proper and effective planning and preparation, as well as courage. Not to mention the abilities of being self-motivated and hard working. These are all traits employers seek in employees, and having a thru hike on your resume could be a big plus. Just make sure you are adequately able to explain basic info about the trail and why you decided to take the time to hike it.

Images

The confidence and kindness that you radiate after thru-hiking the AT will be an asset any company will value. Remember that your resume is only part of a prospective employer's evaluation - how mature you are and how well you will integrate with and hopefully add to the existing team is extremely important. Consider this: Every person that you compete with has gone to school and basically has the same resume...but you (if you thru-hike) will have something that makes you memorable in a good way to add to that - this is an advantage. Add to this a kind of "even keel" approach to challenges, great planning and logistical skills, the ability to complete large projects, seeing the good in people, and deep down knowing you are a winner instead of suspecting it...these are all attributes for success.

I'm in sales (15 years) and have earned about every award they make including my share of #1s...but to me these are just part of doing my job. They aren't accomplishments I care about that much...although it is motivating to make a few extra bucks when you exceed goals. Thru-hiking the AT, however, is something I am very proud of and even 11 years later, I am 100% thankful that I was given the opportunity in life to grow so much and have so much fun in 6 months. Being a thru-hiker is not as great as some things in life - like having an awesome child, but it will always be a big part of (my) the identity I care about.

Contrary to what every school teaches you, business is just a job... and unless it's your business, the awards you win will simply equate to more money earned in return for slogging it out day after day. Give yourself a real award - a life changer - go hike the AT!

Happy hiking!

TTF

Quote Originally Posted by Time To Fly 97 View Post
    The confidence and kindness that you radiate after thru-hiking the AT will be an asset any company will value. Remember that your resume is only part of a prospective employer's evaluation - how mature you are and how well you will integrate with and hopefully add to the existing team is extremely important. Consider this: Every person that you compete with has gone to school and basically has the same resume...but you (if you thru-hike) will have something that makes you memorable in a good way to add to that - this is an advantage. Add to this a kind of "even keel" approach to challenges, great planning and logistical skills, the ability to complete large projects, seeing the good in people, and deep down knowing you are a winner instead of suspecting it...these are all attributes for success.

I'm in sales (15 years) and have earned about every award they make including my share of #1s...but to me these are just part of doing my job. They aren't accomplishments I care about that much...although it is motivating to make a few extra bucks when you exceed goals. Thru-hiking the AT, however, is something I am very proud of and even 11 years later, I am 100% thankful that I was given the opportunity in life to grow so much and have so much fun in 6 months. Being a thru-hiker is not as great as some things in life - like having an awesome child, but it will always be a big part of (my) the identity I care about.

Contrary to what every school teaches you, business is just a job... and unless it's your business, the awards you win will simply equate to more money earned in return for slogging it out day after day. Give yourself a real award - a life changer - go hike the AT!

Happy hiking!

TTF
    wow...there's a tear in my beer tonight!

amongnature.blogspot.com

Do it. Right now I am almost done saving up the cash to cover my piece of rent, car payment, insurance, thru-hike funds, etc. I should have done the hike 4 yrs ago right out of college, but I picked the fast-paced career thing...Love my job, but it could have waited 6-9 months. As a potential employer: there is a huge demand for accounting majors / there will be when you finish too, and I would certainly take a long hard look at a thru-hikers resume versus somebody with the same qualifications fresh out of school with not life experiences. Besides, think of all the challenges/experiences you will face on the trail that you can use in an interview to clearly illustrate your personality, tenacity, quick-thinking, planning, time management skills, etc....When I interviewed in college with the first company I worked for in my now career, I used the fact that I grew orchids as a prime example of my attention to detail and my dedication to my activites...it worked. At the end of the day, only you can make the right decision. I'm planning on 2010 for the AT, but like I mentioned before, I have to have a butt-load of cash saved up to pay for the things that I have to pay for now that I'm not 22...then get back and try to get a job again when done. BTW - I'm in the hotel business...MANY MANY MANY companies outside of this industry need good accountants and not too many people like to do accounting...

as a side note: You are used to being broke right now as a college student....Hike, and be broke another couple of months before getting into the rat race!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++