WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default 2009 Thru Hike Sleeping Bag Recommendation

Hello All,

Question is 2 Parts:

1. Leaving Springer Mid March 2009 for my 1st thru to Maine. Is it possible to buy 1 Bag that would work for the whole trip? (not having to switch out in summer) If so, what should it be rated at? I am a warm to hot sleeper! Sweat machine! Oh by the way I am a big boy. 6'3" 240Lbs

2. Again, if so, what would be the best recommendation in the light to ultra light categories??

Thanks in advance!

Any bag that's warm enough for mid-March will be too warm for mid-summer. Switch to summer bag at the 1/4 to 1/3 point (eg., Daleville) and back to winter bag at the 2/3 or 3/4 point (eg. Glencliff). Just my $0.02.

I agree with Terrapin, you'll be much more comfortable with two bags. But if budget concerns prevent this luxury, I'd suggest a 35-40 degree bag keeping in mind that you're a hot sleeper. You'll probably get cold in the springtime nights (so plan on sleeping in all your clothes) and a hot during the summer (so unzip the bag and use as a comforter), but you can make anything work if you really want to. As for ultralight suggestions, check out Western Mountaineering. Nice bags at low weight.

in summer your bag may become better suited as a pillow depending on your elevation, especially if you sleep warm. keep in mind that sleeping warm may become diminished with the loss of body weight during your hike.

I use one bag here in the west. Even in rare warm nights it works as a quilt. In the humid heat of the east it may be different (although I did the same when I lived in the east many years ago). Be careful of bags that are light and warm because of a snug fit, you might not be comfortable, or even fit at all.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I walked this year starting with a WM 30 degree bag. I started using it in January and was out in weather in the single digits and was never cold.

Oh yeah, it weighs like a lb.

Images

Western Mountaineering Megalite 30-F bag. It's very true to its temperature rating, and it's a wide-cut mummy that has plenty of room for me at 6-2, 210. I usually switch out from my winter bag to the Megalite in March, and then use it all summer long. In very warm weather, it's just partly draped over me, but it still works.

You might have some chilly nights early in the hike. I carry a puffy jacket (Patagonia Micropuff pullover) and can wear that inside my bag. I also wear thick dry wool socks and medium weight long johns, plus a good hat. I've had the Megalite down below 20-F with that clothing. Chilly, but not too bad.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Being a big guy, might look at Big Agnes bags. Got one for my guy. And agree, better to have one for early start and the Whites, and then a summer bag.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

be sure to remember that your feet go in the bag first for maximum comfort and performance...

W.M....Just pick what you want for size and temp.
    BTW They do run on the little side,for the big guy's.

Funny...NO M.B. S.S. in the answer?

WM Sycamore MF

5 1/4" Spacing/Continuous Baffles
    5" Loft, 25° F
    62"/ 4 6" Shoulder /Foot Girth
    17 oz. Down Fill
    2 lbs. Total Weight
    Microfiber (MicroliteXP) shell to stop wind and repell water

Semi-rectangular (wider and less constrictive than a mummy)
    2-way full length side zipper AND 2 way full width foot zipper.
    Unzip foot for extra ventilation
    unzip both to make a flat quilt when too warm

I've used one for the last 12 years on the PCT in all kinds of weather and temperatures. Only rarely have I had to add a light base layer, and I'm a cold sleeper.

The wife and I use one to cover both of us during late Spring to early Fall. Recently bought her one of her own so we can zip them together for the shoulder seasons.

This bag is also available without the hood (saves 1 ounce) as the ALDER MF.

I second the Sycamore by Western Mountaineering. I used this bag this year hiking from Springer and it did very well considering I'm a cold sleeper. When it warmed up I could unzip the foot and stick my feet out, use it as a quilt, and the semi rectangular shape makes it very comfortable for those who like a little room in their bags. Microfiber is a great shell material, blocks the wind and can repel some water. Another great feature is the continuous baffles because the bag completely opens up, you can shake ALL the down to the top on those cold nights, with most mummy bags you can only do this with the top 3-4 baffles. A great bag indeed.

I think a good alternative is a light bag (I use a WM Summerlite, rated at 32 degrees), coupled optionally with light synthetic clothing depending on anticipated conditions. If it can get cold enough I add BPL Cocoon Pants, wear my montbell thermawrap, even perhaps add a size-larger thermawrap vest, add a thin balaclava (helps keep my nose warm) under my normal synthetic cap, I.D. Hotsocks. This provides an excellent range of being closer to the right temperature, from nearly-naked with the light pack as a comforter (my Summerlite has a full zip) to mummy bag and wearing every stitch of clothing.

The combination of those clothes plus bag are heavier than a 20 degree bag, but this approach offers flexibility, I like having synthetic clothing to back up my down bag, and the clothing can be used in brief periods in the morning or at night or middle-of-the-night when you have to do things out of the bag. And on a thru-hike, it's a little easier to mail home one or two clothing items (or request them be mailed to a next-town) than swapping out the whole bag.

In thru-hiking the PCT this year, I used this approach, though with a 20 degree bag as a base for the first thousand miles, then the Summerlite thereafter.

Brian Lewis, http://postholer.com/brianle

++ New Posts ++