WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default I miss the old WB...

Is it just me or has anyone else become frustrated with the new White Blaze. Actually the numbers show the answer. There is not nearly the activity on here that there once was. I miss the debates. I miss the Freedom of Speech. I understand that this is a website about the AT but everyone here knows that and have other interests that they sometimes like to express. It's just too bad that they have decided to put some narrow minded Mods in charge of what the rest of us can talk about. The sad fact of the matter is they are only hurting themselves. I have chosen not to spend nearly the time on here that I used to because it's just not that interesting to me anymore. I just really wanted to put this out there whether it does any good or not. Look around though. You don't see a lot of the "big" posters on nearly as much as you used to...

Quote Originally Posted by Jason of the Woods View Post
    Is it just me or has anyone else become frustrated with the new White Blaze. Actually the numbers show the answer. There is not nearly the activity on here that there once was. I miss the debates. I miss the Freedom of Speech. I understand that this is a website about the AT but everyone here knows that and have other interests that they sometimes like to express. It's just too bad that they have decided to put some narrow minded Mods in charge of what the rest of us can talk about. The sad fact of the matter is they are only hurting themselves. I have chosen not to spend nearly the time on here that I used to because it's just not that interesting to me anymore. I just really wanted to put this out there whether it does any good or not. Look around though. You don't see a lot of the "big" posters on nearly as much as you used to...
    go to www.trailplace.com if you don't like it here

Very defensive but I'll give you an answer because I've met you Wolf and like you! I am on the other website but spent much more time here because it was more fun. That has since passed and it is just as mundane as the other now. It has lost it's character. It's my generation that is grown up now yet there aren't many people my age acttracted to this site that I actually hike with because of what I listed. You actually meet very few thru-hikers who spend any time on here. That's sad.

This post that Alligator just put on the other thread says it all. God forbid someone have a different opinion. Why is your opinion so special, just curious? You don't know me very well either and don't give me a chance. Ask folks who I've met on the trail and I'd bet they don't talk that bad of me...

"Jason you don't know us very well at all so please refrain from telling us our personal opinions. Much appreciated, thanks."
    Alligator

2010 complete

I like the new WB better. I like it for the information more so than for entertainment. It's nicer to be able to zoom into the topic at hand instead of weeding through all the unneccessary or unrelated posts. If the numbers are down and it's because posters had to go elsewhere for entertainment, or to "chat"; so be it.

Images

I havent been here that long and i liked the old WB better, too.

It's very easy to circumvent the chatter to get to "information" if thats your thing. Go read the articles.

Sometime you just want to have/participate in a conversation. In real life conversation doesnt maintain a linear path, does it have to here?

Quote Originally Posted by le loupe View Post
    I havent been here that long and i liked the old WB better, too.

It's very easy to circumvent the chatter to get to "information" if thats your thing. Go read the articles.

Sometime you just want to have/participate in a conversation. In real life conversation doesnt maintain a linear path, does it have to here?
    Thank you! My point exactly. That, and I have to put up with Alligator censoring everything that I say and then flat out telling me to keep my opinion to myself.? Come on man. Who's causing trouble there? What a Moderator! Good Job, Man!

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I like the new WB better. I like it for the information more so than for entertainment. It's nicer to be able to zoom into the topic at hand instead of weeding through all the unneccessary or unrelated posts. If the numbers are down and it's because posters had to go elsewhere for entertainment, or to "chat"; so be it.
    I see your point but it is extremely easy to get answers by posting or just search and it comes right up...

As a counterpoint, I just wanted to say that in recent weeks, when posts of my own were deleted, Alligator was scrupulously polite when he explained to me the reasons behind his actions. I might not have always agreed with him, but he was always forthright, polite, and very prompt in addressing any questions or problems.

In short, I think his actions as a Moderator here are just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    go to www.trailplace.com if you don't like it here
    How did that work for you LW ?

with a case of blind faith
    Images

As I experienced again yesterday, at O'Hare, we seem to all be here for each others amusement, entertainment, enlightenment and amazement. A hiking forum should allow for such within reason. Problem is - whose definition(s)?

I have witnessed other forums implode or explode from waaaaay tooooo much side drift. What is too much? Individuals of a group will disagree; therefore, we choose or allow moderators.

WB is different than before and will surely change again & again so be it.

Images

Hey, I'd rather be censored by the mods then insulted and told to "get the hell off this thread" by fellow WBers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    As a counterpoint, I just wanted to say that in recent weeks, when posts of my own were deleted, Alligator was scrupulously polite when he explained to me the reasons behind his actions. I might not have always agreed with him, but he was always forthright, polite, and very prompt in addressing any questions or problems.

In short, I think his actions as a Moderator here are just fine.
    Jack, at risk of having a relapse with you do you think it was ok for Mr. Alligator to tell me to keep my opinion to myself. The definition of a moderator is one that is neutral. In my mind that didn't seem very neutral to me. You've met me in person and know that I get along with lots of people yet this fella seems to have it out for me and I've never met him.?

I'm gonna continue my day and let this pan out and prove itself. You all have a great evening!

Images

JOTW, I'm a mod here, for this specific forum, and I spend most of my time of WB cleaning up after folks who raise a ruckus.

It might be worth a moment for people here to remember the Terms of Service. Technically, I could delete some of your posts in this thread as violations of TOS #3, but I choose to let them stand so others can see both sides of a coin. I happen to know at least part of what 'Gator was dealing with in terms of his "keep your opinions to yourself" dealt with consistent references to illegal (at least in the great majority of states) drugs. Continued debate on this topic is a violation of TOS #4.

Folks here let you offer plenty of opinions. IMO, many of them are good ones, too. It's just that most folks here KNOW where you stand on legalizing certain products. A number of folks agree with you also. But there's no need to . Share opinions about other things. Plenty of folks will be glad to hear it. Some won't. Just stick within the TOS and be reasonably civil.

I agree the "new" WB is different and in many ways, I miss some of the fun of the old WB. But if I weren't a moderator, I could honestly say I don't miss a lot of the hate and discontent. Since I'm a mod, I see it and try to minimize it. Barring that, if folks refuse to work with us, I have to delete it or lock threads. I really dislike that. But at least the average WB member doesn't have to walk into a war of words in every second or third thread.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Jason: I'm not going to comment on what I think is "OK" or not OK as I don't know the facts here. But speaking purely from my own experience, if you have a beef or complaint about site moderation, you'll probably get further by talking to the individual Moderator privately. Ask questions, voice concern, and I'm sure you'll get a polite and very prompt response. If you're wondering why a comment of yours was removed or delted, all you need do is ask the Moderator why this was done, and he'll certainly tell you. Did you ever do this?

Images

its not like there wasn't a fair amount of warning about behaviors and comments that were getting out of hand, we would still have all those freedoms if we could have kept ourselves in check, no one can deny that the bickering and attacks had crossed the line...
    so don't complain, there was plenty of warning
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Jason: I'm not going to comment on what I think is "OK" or not OK as I don't know the facts here. But speaking purely from my own experience, if you have a beef or complaint about site moderation, you'll probably get further by talking to the individual Moderator privately. Ask questions, voice concern, and I'm sure you'll get a polite and very prompt response. If you're wondering why a comment of yours was removed or delted, all you need do is ask the Moderator why this was done, and he'll certainly tell you. Did you ever do this?
    Jack but you already have expressed that. That's why I commented. Enough said.

As for my talk of legalizing anything. I was going right along with the thread and my god maybe Mr Gator could use a few hits, no.

Really folks, I've got a beautiful young lady cooking me an awesome dinner right now so I must go enjoy her company. I have no beef with anyone and would just like to be able to express my opinion without scrutiny. I don't feel that is too much to ask. I will be headed to New England soon to walk south for a couple of months. I invite anyone who wants to go to join Dah Wah He and I for a section. I guarantee you a good time. That's the way that I live my life. Peace and Love to each and every one of you!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jason of the Woods View Post
    I guarantee you a good time. That's the way that I live my life. Peace and Love to each and every one of you!
    I'd like to meet you out there sometime Jason. I'm sure it would be a great time. The other hikers are one of the best things about the AT.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Yeah. Professionalism really sucks.
    (With the exception of Lonsome Wolfie.)

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++