WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping Bag Question

Our departure date just got bumped up a month!!! I'm stoked. But it means colder weather and the 30 degree bag most likely won't cut it beginning March 28th. We are looking at a 15 degree 800 fill down super stretch bag. Will this be good enough? I don't want to end up sleeping in my clothes every night for the first month and I cant just buy the bag and try it out for a month so I really would appreciate anyones experience, especially with this bag specifically.
    My wife and I will both be using these with a substantial air mattress. She sleeps colder than I do though.
    Last edited by 2009ThruHiker; 09-28-2008 at 22:00. Reason: spelling

Images

15 degree bag should be plenty warm for that time frame.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2009ThruHiker View Post
    My wife and I will both be using these with a substantial air mattress. She sleeps colder than I do though.
    If the weather is quite cold, air mattresses will suck the heat right out of you. In very cold weather, I put a closed-cell-foam mattress on top of my air mattress, so I have the comfort of the air and the warmth of the CCF.

I haven't tried a Down Airmat, but I include several Therm-A-Rest models and the Big Agnes Insulated Air Mattress in my statement that air mattresses will suck the heat right out of you.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Our departure date just got bumped up a month!!! I'm stoked. But it means colder weather and the 30 degree bag most likely won't cut it beginning March 28th. We are looking at a 15 degree 800 fill down super stretch bag. Will this be good enough? I don't want to end up sleeping in my clothes every night for the first month and I cant just buy the bag and try it out for a month so I really would appreciate anyones experience, especially with this bag specifically.
    What do you plan on sleeping in? Most mountaineers count on all their clothing to add additional insulation.

Default silk liner instead of new bag?

You don't necessarily need to buy a new bag. Just supplement the bag you have with a silk liner for the first month or so. Then you can mail the liner home, or keep it for the hot times, sleep in it on top of your bag.

I hiked ten days last spring, beginning about March 20, in NC/TN, encountered light snow and rime ice, and was comfortable with a very light 30 degree bag and a silk liner. I slept in my long sleeve zip-t as well on the colder nights, and a very light stretch balaclava.

maybe this will work for you--

Quote Originally Posted by NICKTHEGREEK View Post
    What do you plan on sleeping in? Most mountaineers count on all their clothing to add additional insulation.
    I don't sleep well in clothing, so I'm hoping the clothing will be an emergency valve only....I plan on sleeping in boxers...that's it.
    You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like a good choice if you have the $$. And you can get temps in the teens in early April. Either that or a 20 degree. Definitely get it for her. Air mattresses also make it chillier unless they are insulated somehow.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I don't sleep well in clothing, so I'm hoping the clothing will be an emergency valve only....I plan on sleeping in boxers...that's it.
    You may be a bit ripe when you crawl in that bag, a liner like cascader suggested will provide a dirt and hopefully smell barrier that adds a few degrees.

If U R determined to sleep in boxers and thrash around while sleeping the 15 deg Montbell Super stretch bags R well made and should do U just fine. If U were to add 10 degs. to your temp rating by using a liner with the 30 deg bag, wear more clothing to sleep(wool hat, gloves, long johns, base layers, etc.), sleep in an enclosed tent, and R a warm sleeper that could also work. I wouldn't be surprised for U to experience temps. in the teens if you R starting on Mar 28 NoBo. No, I don't think the 30 deg. bag by itself in a tent is going to keep U warm enough in Mar-Apr.

++ New Posts ++