WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Panther Creek trail in NE Georgia?

Anyone ever hike this trail...I've seen the trailhead roadside park near Clarksville before(I live in the area) but I heard that it is now closed after lots of down trees and flooding from remnants of Hurricane Katrina a few years back...I know that you can access it from the other end of the trail in Stephens County(near Yonah Dam)....I have fished on that part of Panther Creek before and I remember the dirt road follows Panther Creek until the road dead ends into the creek and there is a wooden foot bridge so you can cross the river on foot....Just wondering does the actual Panther Creek start after crossing that foot bridge or does it start on the side of the river where your vehicle would be...I remember from fishing there that there is a trail that follows the river past the dead end that is on the side of the river where you park(but I didn't walk it very far)...a friend told me that he didn't think that was the actual Panther Creek hiking trail and that it started/ended(depending on which end you start from) on the other side of that foot bridge....anyone who has ever hiked this trail and can help will be greatly appreciated...thanks

Journal Entries
    Images

I've hiked it fairly recently. Shoot me a PM or email and I'll give you the pertinent information.

Images

I've hiked this trail two times this summer, from the Old Hwy 441 Clarksville trailhead. Considering we've had little rain for over a month, it should be a decent hike for someone who hikes regularly. Don't expect a day alone on the trail if you go on a weekend, I saw 10-20 people on both my hikes.
    MoBill

Hike not for miles - Hike to see a world others walk by without seeing.

Pinhoti Journal http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=7238

It has been at least four years since I hiked the trail. The old 441 trail head to the falls portion is very crowded on weekends and is the better maintained section. From the falls to Yonah Dam road was not very well maintained back then. It may be better maintained now. There is plenty of rock walking in some fairly steep sections overlooking the creek so be sure to have good shoes, especially if wet. I recall it was overall a very nice 12 mile hike out and back the last time we walked it. But it was in the middle of the week so the crowd was absent.

Images

I don't know what the status of it is at the moment, but a while back the USFS had given over the 441 trailhead to a private contractor that was charging some exorbitant price just to park and hike (on the order of 6-7 bucks a car, I think?).

The Yonah Dam trailhead was and always has been free...and in my opinion it's a much sweeter hike to the falls.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by halibut15 View Post
    I don't know what the status of it is at the moment, but a while back the USFS had given over the 441 trailhead to a private contractor that was charging some exorbitant price just to park and hike (on the order of 6-7 bucks a car, I think?).

The Yonah Dam trailhead was and always has been free...and in my opinion it's a much sweeter hike to the falls.
    Is this just recently? I hiked it last back in March I think.

Images

I think the switch-over took place sometime last year, so it sounds like it might have changed. I know people had a massive freakout when the private company took it over. I'd much rather help pay the USFS for trail upkeep, etc. with my trailhead fees than the salary of someone at a private company. For what it's worth, that's one of the most varied trails around, even though it can be insanely crowded.

Journal Entries
    Images

I paid the $2 parking fee back in March, I do know that. And in March, while still a bit cool, on a Sunday, I saw 5 other people on the trail, all headed in, while I was headed out. But I did get a good early start.

Fee was $3.00 a couple of months ago when I went. I've hiked and camped on this trail around 17 times in the last 2 years or so. I really like it. I've seen 50+ people on one hike and have been the only person on the trail on another. I once read that this is the most popular trail in Georgia. I need to go back soon and scout out more spots to stealth hang.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"
    www.hammockforums.net

++ New Posts ++