WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Calling All Hoosiers!!

Would anyone in Indiana like to get together some weekend or (evening for dinner) to discuss their plans or tell of their experiences while hiking?
    So what if we don't live in one of the neighboring states the trail goes through, we can still get together and have fun.
    I live in Southern Indiana but I'll meet anyone interested halfway, say in Indy or even one of the State Park Lodges.

I could do something in Nov. I live in Indy but hike all the trails.

Default Okay!

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier ben View Post
    I could do something in Nov. I live in Indy but hike all the trails.
    Alright!! Ben. Perhaps we'll hear from some more. I'll PM you some time to make the plans. Okay?

Default Allow Me To Rephrase This

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    Would anyone in Indiana like to get together some weekend or (evening for dinner) to discuss their plans or tell of their experiences while hiking?
    So what if we don't live in one of the neighboring states the trail goes through, we can still get together and have fun.
    I live in Southern Indiana but I'll meet anyone interested halfway, say in Indy or even one of the State Park Lodges.
    Would any WBers from Indiana like to get together sometime for a meal to discuss their plans for an upcoming hike or perhaps share their stories of past hikes?
    This could be the start of an ongoing Yearly Event much like the ones in some of the states in which the trail passes through that are hard to attend because of the distance.
    Perhaps one of the State Park Lodges or a nice restaurant could be the meeting place, or even a picnic area. (Just some ideas and open for suggestions).

Images

G-G

I'm in Bloomington and would be willing to show up at a hoosier get together. I'd recommend having a meal, and include a hike. You know as well as I do there are a lot of good trails here in southern Indiana. Sometime in November would be OK with me.

As far as a yearly event, I'd say to plan it when we can camp, hike, BS, etc. Just my opinion.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Hey BigMac:
    Sounds good to me. So far it's just you, Hooiser Ben and myself. I know there are other WB'ers here in IN.
    I'm wanting to do the Knob Stone this Fall if I can find the time, but if I can make a buck or two I'll work.
    I'll be in touch.

I live in Indiana and would love to have a get together but am currently attending school in wyoming so i cant this year or next, but after that i should be able to. I can however do stuff during the summers.

Default Indiana hikers - Knobstone Trail closed

For all you Indiana hikers who want to meet other AT hikers, check out the Hoosier Hikers Council website hoosierhikerscouncil.org. This group has built and maintains several trails in Indiana, including the Tecumseh Trail and the Adena Trace at Brookville Reservoir. Many of the members who do trailwork on the 3rd Saturday of the month are AT hikers, even some thru hikers. We'd love to have you join us.
    The Knobstone Trail was heavily damaged by winds from Hurricane Ike and is effectively closed because of so many trees down and several miles routed on roads due to logging. Check out a hike on the Tecumseh Trail in Morgan, Monroe and Brown County for a beautiful 40+ mile hike.
    mary and carl

Maryelle:
    Thanks for the info on the Knob Stone Trail, I was thinking of doing parts of it in a week(end) or two.
    Where does the work crew meet on the third Saturday? I would like to try and get out and help them if I can, or perhaps that web address you left will have that info.
    Thanks.

Thanks for the info on Knobstone. I was planning on going this weekend. I'm form Yorktown up by Muncie. let me know when you plan on a get togather or hike. hopefully I can go.

I'm in Illinois but consider myself a part of the Indiana gang.

There is a fairly active group from Indiana that posts on http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk/

The trips posted for Indiana are usually the weekend type. The folks are friendly.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Default No fair!

You guys are all in Southern Indiana (ie the nice part!) I live in Mishawaka (sister city of South Bend) like a mile from Michigan.

I think this would be fun.

Could we please do something in the middle?

Ha, ha as I'm typing John Mellancamp is on the radio.

One of the state park lodges would be fun. Shades, Turkey Run, Brown County?

Tilly (displaced Jersey Girl)

Default Sorry You Live So Far North

Quote Originally Posted by Tilly View Post
    One of the state park lodges would be fun. Shades, Turkey Run, Brown County?

Tilly (displaced Jersey Girl)
    Sorry you live way up North Tilly. I have some friends that live in Shipshewana.
    I'm all for doing something in the middle. Brown County is very pretty in the fall and would be fine with me to meet there.
    We could perhaps eat in the Abe Martin Lodge and all of us do the trails within the park.
    I'll check into this more in detail and then PM everyone that has said they would like to get together.
    Good to hear from someone up there.
    You must know that Seymour is the home of John Courgar Mellencamp. Right?

Gorp-Gobbler

For the middle of Indiana it's hard to beat the Charles Deam Wilderness for a nice weekend trip. It is just south of Bloomington.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Default Welcome ChinMusic

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    For the middle of Indiana it's hard to be the Charles Deam Wilderness for a nice weekend trip. It is just south of Bloomington.
    Thanks for the info Chin Music. Hoosier Ben says it's nice over there.
    There or Brown County would be good for a get together.
    You being just over In IL are welcome to come join us if you'd like.

Gorp-Gobbler

Hi Gorp Gobbler,
    The Hikers Council will be working at Morgan-Monroe State Forest this weekend - Sat. the 18th. We'll meet at the Forest office at 9:00. We usually work till 3;00. If you can join us, bring water and a trail lunch. We have trail tools for you.
    Morgan-Monroe state forest has two nice 10 mile loops. The trail we will be working on this Saturday is the Rock Shelter loop. Indiana does have some rocks.
    For other 3rd Saturday work days, check www.hoosierhikerscouncil.org for information.
    Would love to see you out there.
    Maryelle
    mary and carl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gorp-Gobbler View Post
    Sorry you live way up North Tilly. I have some friends that live in Shipshewana.
    I'm all for doing something in the middle. Brown County is very pretty in the fall and would be fine with me to meet there.
    We could perhaps eat in the Abe Martin Lodge and all of us do the trails within the park.
    I'll check into this more in detail and then PM everyone that has said they would like to get together.
    Good to hear from someone up there.
    You must know that Seymour is the home of John Courgar Mellencamp. Right?

Gorp-Gobbler
    ACTUALLY, Seymour is the hometown of John Mellencamp - he now lives just outside of Bloomington. And he dislikes the "Cougar" moniker that he once used.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Default I Stand Corrected

Quote Originally Posted by bigmac_in View Post
    ACTUALLY, Seymour is the hometown of John Mellencamp - he now lives just outside of Bloomington. And he dislikes the "Cougar" moniker that he once used.
    That's what I meant bigmac_in, thanks for clearing that up.
    I'd like to see Eric Clapton when John brings him down again for a visit.

Default Hi Gorp

Evansville, IN here.

Enjoy the River to River over in Ill, the southern portion of the AT, and do

some hike training over in KY at Audubon Park.

You folks decide when and where we can get together and I will do my best

to join you.

Thanks for the backpacker link ChinMusic .
    Some Days Your The Bug , Some Days Your The Windshield

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++